Table of Contents
- What is Voltaren?
- Uses of Voltaren
- How Voltaren works?
- How to take Voltaren?
- Voltaren Price In India
- Common dosage for Voltaren
- When to avoid Voltaren?
- Side effects of Voltaren
- Reported allergic reactions?
- Effect on organs?
- Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Show effects/Results in
- Is Voltaren addictive?
- Can I have Voltaren with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Voltaren when pregnant?
- Can I have Voltaren when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Voltaren?
- What happens if I overdose on Voltaren?
- What happens if I eat expired Voltaren?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Voltaren?
- Storage requirements for Voltaren
- Pro Tips When taking Voltaren
What is Voltaren?
Voltaren contains Diclofenac sodium as chief ingredient. Voltaren is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) which reduces pain, fever, and signs of inflammation like swelling, redness. Voltaren is available in the form of delayed-release (enteric-coated) tablets containing 75 mg Diclofenac sodium.
Manufactured By – Cipla Ltd
Other variants and compositions
|Voltaren 50Mg Suppository||Diclofenac 50 MG /SUPPOSITORY|
|Free Voltaren Emul 15Gm Gel||Diclofenac 1 %|
|Votaren 1Ml Injection||Diclofenac 75 MG /ML|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo Offers
Uses of Voltaren
Voltaren tablets relieve pain, reduce swelling and ease inflammation in conditions affecting the joints, muscles and tendons including:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Acute gout
- Ankylosing spondylitis (arthritis affecting spine and large joints)
- Sprains and strains
- Soft tissue sports injuries
- Frozen shoulder, Dislocations
- Tendonitis (inflammation of tendon for example tennis elbow)
- Bursitis (inflammation of sacs filled with lubricating fluid in joints)
- Dental pain
- Muscle pain
- Painful menses
Voltaren may also be used for purposes not mentioned above.
Also Read: Pravastatins Uses | Prilosec Uses | Remicade Uses
How Voltaren works?
- Voltaren works by obstructing the production of an enzyme called as Cyclo-oxygenase which helps in Prostaglandin synthesis.
- Synthesis of Prostaglandins in the body is associated with symptoms like pain, fever, swelling etc.
- Therefore by inhibiting the synthesis of prostaglandins, Voltaren helps in relieving all associated symptoms (pain, swelling etc).
How to take Voltaren?
Voltaren tablets come in the form of enteric coated (gastro-resistant) tablets –
- Voltaren tablets have a special coating which allows it to pass through the stomach without dissolving, thereby reducing the risk of stomach irritation and indigestion.
- These tablets are usually taken two or three times a day or as directed by your doctor.
- Voltaren tablets should be swallowed as a whole and not broken, crushed or chewed.
- Voltaren can be taken either with or without food and with plenty of fluids.
- Antacids should not be concomitantly used with these tablets as antacids can stop the special stomach-protecting coating of the tablet from working.
Voltaren Price In India
|Tube of 15ml Gel||Rs 47.00|
|Tube of 30ml Gel||Rs 88.00|
Common dosage for Voltaren
- The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- Use the lowest possible dose for shortest duration whenever possible to reduce the risk of adverse effects when on Voltaren therapy.
- Voltaren tablets are usually taken two or three times a day or as directed by your doctor.
- In the case of the elderly, 65 years and above, the body may process this drug more slowly. So doctors usually start with a lowered dose so that too much of this drug does not build up in your body.
- Consult your doctor before administering in children below 12 years of age.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- In case of non-improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Singulair Dosage | Suboxone Dosage | Synthyroid Dosage
When to avoid Voltaren?
- Allergy – Voltaren is not recommended if you have a known allergy of medicines belonging to NSAIDs. Severe allergic conditions like Asthma and itching can be triggered in such cases.
- Peptic Ulcer – in patients suffering from peptic ulcer, Voltaren can cause severe swelling and bleeding in the stomach, colon, and anus.
- Voltaren is not recommended for relieving pain after Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery.
- Patients suffering from asthma
- Patients suffering from a severe liver disease
- Patients suffering from severe kidney disease
Side effects of Voltaren
All medicines have some side effects. Side effects are possible but do not always occur. Consult your doctor if you feel that you have any of the following reported side effects of Voltaren-
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Heart burn
- Dry mouth
- Skin rash
- Dry skin
Reported allergic reactions?
Voltaren is not recommended if you are allergic to any of its active ingredient or other NSAIDs. Possible allergic reactions reported are-
- Rashes on skin
- Discoloration of the skin on the face or neck
- Irregular heartbeat
- Swelling of face, neck
- Loss of consciousness
Effect on organs?
- Voltaren can cause fatal liver disease. Patients with pre-existing liver diseases should use this drug with caution and under the supervision of their doctor.
- In the stomach, Voltaren can cause ulcers which lead to serious bleeding from the stomach or intestine.
Drug interactions to be careful about?
Drug interaction refers to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. Do not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few common drugs which interact with Voltaren include:
- ACE Inhibitors
- Aldosterone antagonists
- Beta blockers
- Calcineurin inhibitors
- Loop diuretics
- Prostaglandin analogues
- Thiazide diuretics
Show effects/Results in
- It depends on the dosage and age of the patient and the severity of the problem.
- Voltaren shows its full effect in 30 minutes. Slowly leads to relief in pain.
Is Voltaren addictive?
No habit-forming tendencies have been reported with Voltaren.
Can I have Voltaren with alcohol?
- Daily use of alcohol while using Voltaren may increase your risk for stomach bleeding.
- Limit alcohol consumption and stop smoking. Ask your doctor about how much alcohol you may safely drink.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No interaction with any food product observed. For further information, you can consult your doctor.
Can I have Voltaren when pregnant?
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or if you plan to become pregnant.
- During pregnancy avoid taking Voltaren unless entirely necessary.
- It is not recommended for use during the first and third trimesters of pregnancy as it can harm the foetus or interference with normal delivery.
Can I have Voltaren when feeding a baby?
- It is not known whether Voltaren is secreted in breast milk.
- Use with caution or only when advised in lactating mothers.
Can I drive after taking Voltaren?
- Voltaren Tablet may cause side effects like dizziness, headache, drowsiness, and light-headedness in few patients.
- In such patients, driving and operating heavy machinery should be avoided.
What happens if I overdose on Voltaren?
Taking more than prescribed dosage can be harmful and can increase the incidence of side effects. Symptoms of overdosage on Voltaren include:
- Stomach discomfort
In the case of over-dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Voltaren?
- Avoid taking expired medicine. If you have taken accidentally and you are feeling any discomfort rush to the doctor immediately for medical assistance.
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Voltaren?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.
Storage requirements for Voltaren
- Store at room temperature away from light and moisture.
- Do not freeze.
Pro Tips When taking Voltaren
- Voltaren and other NSAIDs can increase the chance of heart attack in patients already suffering from heart disease when taken for longer durations.
- Voltaren should be cautiously used in patients with pre-existing peptic ulcer as it can cause bleeding in the stomach or intestine
- NSAIDs should only be prescribed at the lowest dose possible and for the shortest time.