Table of Contents
- What is Warfarin?
- Uses of Warfarin
- How Does Warfarin Work?
- How to Take Warfarin?
- Warfarin Price in India
- Common Dosage for Warfarin
- Precautions – When to Avoid Warfarin?
- Side-Effects of Warfarin
- Effects of Warfarin on Organs
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Effects/Results after Consuming Warfarin
- Storage Requirements about Warfarin
- Pro Tips When Taking Warfarin
- FAQs – Things to Know About Warfarin
- Is Warfarin addictive?
- Can I have Warfarin with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Warfarin when pregnant?
- Can I have Warfarin when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Warfarin?
- What happens if I overdose on Warfarin?
- What happens if I eat expired Warfarin?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Warfarin?
- When Was Warfarin Made?
What is Warfarin?
Warfarin is sold under the brand name Coumadin. It is an anticoagulant drug. Warfarin is used in the treatment of thrombosis.
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Netmeds Discount Coupon | Pharmeasy Coupon Code
Uses of Warfarin
- Warfarin is used to treat blood clot such as deep vein thrombosis.
- It is used to prevent stroke which can be caused due to heart diseases and artificial heart valves.
- Warfarin is also used in antiphospholipid syndrome.
Other medicine's Uses: Xyzal Uses | Zolpidem Uses | Zyrtec Uses
How Does Warfarin Work?
Clot formation is a complex process which takes place with the help of clotting factors. Warfarin blocks the vitamin K, which is used to produce clotting factors and decreases the ability of the blood clotting process.
How to Take Warfarin?
- Swallow the tablet wholly. Do not crush, chew or break it.
- Warfarin can be taken with or without food.
- Try to take it the same time every day. It is better to take this drug at evening times it requires dosage adjustments.
Warfarin Price in India
|Warfarin (Volume of 10)||Rs 95.00|
Also Read: Xanax Price | Xarelto Price
Common Dosage for Warfarin
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- Atrial fibrillation – 2 to 5 mg per day
- Stroke – 2 to 5 mg per day which may be increased to up to 10mg
- Other conditions such as deep vein thrombosis and myocardial infarction also have the same dosage between 2mg and 5 mg per day.
Precautions – When to Avoid Warfarin?
While taking Warfarin you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Warfarin along with other certain medications.
- Avoid consuming alcohol for initial days while taking Warfarin.
Side-Effects of Warfarin
Some common side effects of Warfarin are:
- Dark urine
- Dry mouth
- Allergies like rashes or irritation
- Loss of appetite
Also Read: Venlafaxine Side Effect | Viagra Side Effect | Vicodin Side Effect
Effects of Warfarin on Organs
Patients who have liver problems will suffer more damaging effects on the liver while consuming Warfarin. Sometimes, it may cause Urinary tract infections too.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs which cause serious effects while interacting with Warfarin are Adderall, Flexeril, Lexapro, tramadol, trazodone, etc., The drugs which one can take under certain circumstances and show a moderate effect are an oxycodone, Ativan, Abilify, Ambien, Neurontin, etc.
Effects/Results after Consuming Warfarin
Warfarin will show its effect within 1 to 2 weeks but you should follow this medication for 4 to 5 months for full recovery.
Storage Requirements about Warfarin
Warfarin can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Pro Tips When Taking Warfarin
- Warfarin should be taken in the prescribed dosage and one must only increase the dosage when the physician prescribed it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking Warfarin as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol and certain recommended foods while taking Warfarin.
FAQs – Things to Know About Warfarin
Is Warfarin addictive?
No. But Warfarin can cause adverse effects when it is abruptly stopped.
Can I have Warfarin with alcohol?
No. Having Warfarin with alcohol will cause liver damage and depression.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid food items which are rich in vitamin k such as soyabeans.
Can I have Warfarin when pregnant?
No. Warfarin is not recommended during pregnancy as it causes serious side effects in the foetus.
Can I have Warfarin when feeding a baby?
Taking Warfarin while breastfeeding does not have any serious side effects.
Can I drive after taking Warfarin?
You should avoid driving if you feel drowsy.
What happens if I overdose on Warfarin?
It would cause a severe headache and high bleeding.
What happens if I eat expired Warfarin?
It will not be effective but consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I miss a dose of Warfarin?
If you miss a dose of Warfarin take it as soon as you remember in the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Warfarin Made?
Warfarin was made in the year 1952 by WARF.