Table of Contents
- 1 What is Wellbutrin?
- 2 Uses of Wellbutrin
- 3 How does Wellbutrin work?
- 4 How to Take Wellbutrin?
- 5 Wellbutrin Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage & when to take Wellbutrin?
- 7 When to avoid Wellbutrin?
- 8 Side effects of Wellbutrin
- 9 Effects on organs?
- 10 Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 12 Shows Effects / Results In
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Wellbutrin (Bupropion) Addictive?
- 15 Can I have Wellbutrin with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Wellbutrin (Bupropion) when Pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Wellbutrin when feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Wellbutrin?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Wellbutrin (Bupropion)?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Wellbutrin?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Wellbutrin (Bupropion)?
- 23 Storage Requirements for Wellbutrin
- 24 Pro Tips When Taking Wellbutrin
What is Wellbutrin?
Wellbutrin belongs to the aminoketone class of antidepressants. An active ingredient of Wellbutrin is Bupropion hydrochloride and it is available in tablet form (sustained and extended release).
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Promo Code | Medlife Order Online
Uses of Wellbutrin
Wellbutrin (Bupropion) is used primarily for the treatment of depression and seasonal affective disorder (depression that occurs during the same time of the year especially in fall and winter). In addition to depression, Wellbutrin may also be used to help people stop smoking.
How does Wellbutrin work?
- Wellbutrin contains Bupropion as its active ingredient. Bupropion works by altering the levels of certain neurotransmitters (chemical messengers) like dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain.
- This improves the mood and relieves symptoms of depression.
How to Take Wellbutrin?
- Wellbutrin (Bupropion) is available in tablet form as 75mg and 100mg sustained release tablets or 150mg and 300mg as extended release tablets.
- Wellbutrin can be administered with or without food but at a fixed time. Patients with gastric problems may take it after their meals.
- When taken in tablet form, swallow the tablet as a whole with fluids. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- Never use Wellbutrin in more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent as it may lead to seizures.
- Do not stop treatment with Wellbutrin suddenly. The dosage should be tapered gradually and then stopped.
- Stopping the medicine suddenly may lead to withdrawal symptoms like a headache, anxiety, irritability etc.
- In case of non-improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
Wellbutrin Price In India
|150mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 200|
Also Read: Buspar Price | Crestor Price | Cymbalta Price
Common Dosage & when to take Wellbutrin?
- The dose and duration of treatment with Wellbutrin (Bupropion) depend upon the age of the patient and the type/ severity of the ailment.
- The initial dose of Wellbutrin is 200mg per day administered as a 100mg tablet twice a day. This dose can be gradually increased by an increment of 100mg after 3 days. A sudden increase in dose might lead to seizures.
- Usual target dose is 300mg per day with 100mg tablet administered 3 times a day keeping a gap of at least 6 hours between each dose.
- The maximum recommended dose is 450mg per day. Once the desired results are achieved, the dose can then be gradually tapered by the physician and a maintenance dose of lowest effective dosage can be maintained till advised.
- Extended-release tablets are usually administered once a day in the morning with a 24-hour time frame.
- Dose adjustment is needed in elderly and patients suffering from liver and kidney diseases.
When to avoid Wellbutrin?
Wellbutrin (Bupropion) should not be used or should be used with caution when:
- Allergic to any of its components
- People with liver or kidney problem
- Elderly people
- Epileptic patients
- Patients with heart disease or stroke
- Patients with bipolar disorder
- Patients on MAO inhibitor drugs
- Glaucoma patients
- Pregnant and lactating mothers
Side effects of Wellbutrin
Wellbutrin (Bupropion) may produce certain side effects, although they may not be common in all the patients. Commonly observed side effects:
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive sweating
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
Inform your doctor if you have any of the below mentioned side effects:
- Rapid heart beat
- Muscle or joint pain
Also Read: Breo-Ellipta Side Effect
Effects on organs?
Patients with liver and kidney disease should administer Wellbutrin with caution and under the observation of a doctor.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Allergy with Wellbutrin (Bupropion) may exhibit the following symptoms:
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Drug interactions refer to the effect of drugs on each other and on human body following ingestion. Large numbers of medicine have shown interaction with Wellbutrin. It is advised that the patient must always inform the physician about all the medicines/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used. Consult your doctor before administering any other drugs concomitantly with Wellbutrin. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important ones include:
- MAO inhibitors
Using all these medicines along with Wellbutrin can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects.
Shows Effects / Results In
- Patients may notice improvement slowly over a period of 1-4 weeks following Wellbutrin (Bupropion) therapy.
- Even if symptoms disappear, it should be taken until advised as sudden withdrawal can lead to unwanted withdrawal symptoms.
Is Wellbutrin (Bupropion) Addictive?
A minimal addictive tendency has been reported with Wellbutrin for drug abuse.
Can I have Wellbutrin with alcohol?
Interaction of Wellbutrin with alcohol may increase the risk of side effects and may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness, therefore, it is not recommended to consume alcohol while taking Wellbutrin.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Wellbutrin (Bupropion) when Pregnant?
- Wellbutrin should be used with caution in pregnancy as it has shown adverse effects on foetus when administered at doses greater than the therapeutic dose.
- It should not be used specifically in the first few weeks and last few months of pregnancy
- Wellbutrin should only be used if the benefits justify the risk to the foetus. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Can I have Wellbutrin when feeding a baby?
Wellbutrin (Bupropion) should not be used in breastfeeding women as the drug may pass into breast milk and lead to fatal adverse effects in foetus like seizures.
Can I drive after taking Wellbutrin?
- Few patients might exhibit drowsiness, dizziness or a headache after administration of Wellbutrin.
- Such patients should use Wellbutrin with caution while driving or operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Wellbutrin (Bupropion)?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects like vomiting, seizures, rapid heartbeat etc.
What happens if I eat expired Wellbutrin?
- The medicine may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Wellbutrin (Bupropion)?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Skip the missed dose and get back on schedule for the next dose. Keeping a time gap of 6 hours between each dose is important. Do not double the dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements for Wellbutrin
- Storage at room temperature away from direct heat and light.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Wellbutrin
- Patients on Wellbutrin (Bupropion) have increased the risk of seizures. Never administer more than the recommended dose and always increase and decrease the dose gradually.
- Patients on Wellbutrin are at increased risk of suicidal behavior especially in children and young adults. Monitor such patients closely.
Also read about other medicine's: Dulera | Zithromaxa