Table of Contents
- What is Wikoryl?
- Uses of Wikoryl
- How does Wikoryl work?
- How to take Wikoryl?
- Common Dosage for Wikoryl
- When to Avoid Wikoryl?
- Precautions While Taking Wikoryl
- Side-Effects of Wikoryl
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Wikoryl Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Wikoryl
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Wikoryl
- Authored By –
1What is Wikoryl?
Used mainly to treat a different kind of pain and allergies majorly seasonal allergy, joint pain and fever. Constipation and liver damage are the major side effects of this drug. It should be totally avoided in cases of Hypertension and asthma.
Wikoryl Composition: Chlorpheniramine Maleate 2mg + Paracetamol 500mg + Phenylephrine Hydrochloride 5mg
Manufactured By: Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’
Form: Tablets, Syrup and drops.
Price: Rs 33.40 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antiallergic+ Antimuscarinic+ NSAID
2Uses of Wikoryl
Wikoryl serves a great purpose in the treatment of the following conditions:
- Headache: Used in treating headache.
- Period Pain: Used for management of pain during menstruation.
- Joint Pain: Used for management of joint pain.
- Toothache: Used to treat dental pain.
- Allergy: Used in cases of allergy-like a seasonal allergy.
- Fever: Used in cases of fever as it contains an antipyretic drug (Paracetamol).
- Nasal Congestion: Used to relieve nasal congestion.
Also Read: Voveran Uses | Volini Uses
3 How does Wikoryl work?
- Wikoryl contains Chlorpheniramine, Paracetamol and Phenylephrine as its active ingredient.
- Chlorpheniramine being antihistaminic in nature blocks the release of histamine which a chemical mediator of the allergic or inflammatory process.
- Paracetamol works by blocking the COX enzymes that are responsible for prostaglandins production and prostaglandin inhibition leads to diminishing the symptoms like pain, swelling and fever
4How to take Wikoryl?
- Wikoryl is usually available in tablet and syrup form.
- Wikoryl tablet is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water, with or after food.
- Wikoryl tablets should be swallowed as a whole instead of crushing or chewing it.
- If you are taking syrup form of this drug, shake the bottle well before use and a measuring cup should be used to consume the prescribed dose.
- Complete dose as prescribed by the doctor should be taken.
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
5 Common Dosage for Wikoryl
- Wikoryl dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common Adult dose is a single tablet once or twice daily.
- It is safer to consult the paediatrician before administering the paediatric dose.
- Prolonged use or dose alteration should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Wikoryl?
An overdose of Wikoryl can cause symptoms like nausea, vomiting and drowsiness so the dose of the drug should be taken carefully as prescribed by the doctor and Consult the Medical Staff or the doctor immediately in case of Wikoryl overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Wikoryl?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Wikoryl?
The expired dose of Wikoryl is very unlikely to cause any undesired effect however, the physician should be consulted in case of any sickness or symptoms after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug is not potent enough to treat the condition and one should avoid consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Wikoryl and till when does the effect of Wikoryl stays?
- Effects/result of Wikoryl can be seen within 30 minutes of consuming the drug and the average duration of action is 4-6 hours.
- The complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
6When to Avoid Wikoryl?
Do not Consume Wikoryl if:
- Asthma: In cases of a known history of breathing problems or asthma.
- Glaucoma: In cases of eye problems (glaucoma)
- Urination difficulty: In cases of difficulty in urination
- Hypertension: In cases of Hypertension.
- Hyperthyroidism: In cases of Hyperthyroidism.
7Precautions While Taking Wikoryl
- Proper administration: The drug should be consumed preferably after food.
- Concomitant drugs: The drug should not be used with other antihistamines without proper medical consultation.
- Dose alteration: consuming a high dose without medical consultation should be avoided to prevent habit formation.
Warnings When Taking Wikoryl
- It is not advisable to take more than 3 tablets a day with equally spaced time intervals between two doses.
- It should not be taken empty stomach as it can cause gastric irritation.
- Dose alteration without medical consultation should be avoided.
8 Side-Effects of Wikoryl
The side effects associated with Wikoryl are:
- Nausea (common)
- Drowsiness (common)
- Liver damage (less common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Constipation (common)
- Blurred vision (less common)
- Increased heart rate (less common)
- The feeling of sickness (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Wikoryl?
In case of any allergic signs like Itching, Redness, Rashes, Immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Wikoryl on organs?
Wikoryl can affect hepatic functions. Therefore, extra caution or dose modification is required in cases of hepatic impairment.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Wikoryl. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Wikoryl. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Wikoryl
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Wikoryl
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician out of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Sleeping pills (Moderate)
- Antidepressants (Moderate)
- Decongestants (Moderate)
- Antipsychotic drugs (Moderate)
- Anticoagulants (mild)
- Colestyramine (mild)
- Domperidone (mild)
- Metoclopramide (Moderate)
- Digoxin (mild)
3. Effects of Wikoryl on Lab Tests
Wikoryl doesn’t affect the laboratory tests
4. Wikoryl’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases.
Q. Can I have Wikoryl with alcohol?
No. As consuming Wikoryl tablet with alcohol can damage the liver.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Wikoryl when pregnant?
No, it is not safe to take Wikoryl tablet during pregnancy. The doctor should always be informed in case of pregnancy or plans of conceiving for case specific recommendations.
Q. Can I have Wikoryl when feeding a baby?
Wikoryl traces have not been found in human milk. But the doctor should always be informed if you are breastfeeding your child as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Wikoryl?
No, as Wikoryl causes sleepiness, drowsiness and decreased alertness. Therefore, one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery
Also Read: Velozd Side Effect | Uprised Side Effect | Unwanted 72 Side Effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Wikoryl Composition, Variant and Price
|Wikoryl Variants||Wikoryl Composition||Wikoryl Price|
|Wikoryl Oral 15ML Drops||Chlorpheniramine Maleate 1mg + Paracetamol 125mg + Phenylephrine 2.5mg/ml||Rs. 69.9 for 1 pack|
|Wikoryl 60ML Syrup||Chlorpheniramine Maleate 1mg + Paracetamol 125mg + Phenylephrine 5mg/ml||Rs.58.15 for 1 pack|
|Wikoryl Tablet/ Wikoryl 325DT Tablet||Chlorpheniramine Maleate 2mg + Paracetamol 325mg + Phenylephrine 5mg||Rs.40 for 10 tablets|
|Wikoryl DS Oral 60ML Suspension||Chlorpheniramine Maleate 2mg + Paracetamol 250 mg + Phenylephrine 5 mg + Sodium Citrate 60 mg/5 ml||Rs. 58.15 for 1 pack|
|Wikoryl Nasal Drop||Xylometazoline 0.05 %w/v||Rs. 63.85 for 1 pack|
|Wikoryl ND Tablet||Levocetirizine 5mg + Phenylephrine 30mg||Rs. 71.9 for 10 tablets|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo | Saveonmedicals
11Substitutes of Wikoryl
The following are alternative drugs for Wikoryl:
- Elzico tablet:
- Manufactured by – Elder Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 11.53
- Sneezy tablet:
- Manufactured by – Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 25.25
- Sinarite tablet:
- Manufactured by – MHS Pharmaceuticals.
- Price – Rs. 21.75
- Coriminic P tablet:
- Manufactured by – Wanburry Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 33.38
Storage requirements for Wikoryl Tablets
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat at room temperature
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children.
Also Read: Vizylac Price | Vibactds Price | Vertin Price
12FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Wikoryl
Q. What is Wikoryl?
Ans. Wikoryl is a form of combination drug which contains Chlorpheniramine Maleate, Phenylephrine and Paracetamol as its main active ingredients. It is used is treating conditions and symptoms like pain, fever and cold.
Chlorpheniramine belongs to the group of antiallergic drugs whereas Phenylephrine belongs to the class of antimuscarinics and Paracetamol belongs to NSAIDs group.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Wikoryl to show results?
Ans. Effects/result of Wikoryl can be seen within 30 minutes of consuming the drug and the average duration of action is 4-6 hours.
Q. Should Wikoryl be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Wikoryl should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Q. Does Wikoryl make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Wikoryl may cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Wikoryl doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Wikoryl toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Wikoryl should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Wikoryl.
Q. Does Wikoryl effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Wikoryl safe for children?
Ans. Wikoryl should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician. Variants of same drug for children are available
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Wikoryl?
Ans. Any liver disorder, drug intolerance or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Wikoryl.
Q. Is Wikoryl legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.