Table of Contents
- 1 What is Xifaxan?
- 2 What does Xifaxan contains?
- 3 Uses of Xifaxan
- 4 How Does Xifaxan Work?
- 5 How to Take Xifaxan?
- 6 Xifaxan Price In India
- 7 Common Dosage for Xifaxan?
- 8 When to Avoid Xifaxan?
- 9 Side-Effects of Xifaxan
- 10 Effects of Xifaxan on Organs?
- 11 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 12 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 13 Effects/Results After Consuming Xifaxan (Rifaximin)
- 14 FAQs
- 15 Is Xifaxan addictive?
- 16 Can I have Xifaxan (Rifaximin) with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Xifaxan (Rifaximin) when pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Xifaxan when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Xifaxan?
- 21 What happens if I overdose on Xifaxan (Rifaximin)?
- 22 What happens if I eat expired Xifaxan?
- 23 What happens if I miss a dose of Xifaxan (Rifaximin)?
- 24 Storage Requirements for Xifaxan
- 25 Pro Tips When Taking Xifaxan (Rifaximin)
What is Xifaxan?
Xifaxan is an antibiotic drug used to treat many bacterial infections of the intestine.
Manufactured By – Salix Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo Coupon Cod
What does Xifaxan contains?
Xifaxan contains Rifaximin as the active ingredient.
Uses of Xifaxan
Xifaxan (Rifaximin) is used in the treatment of:
- Traveler’s diarrhea
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Hepatic encephalopathy (a liver disease)
Also Read: Cosentyx Uses | Humulin Uses
How Does Xifaxan Work?
Xifaxan acts by stopping the growth of bacteria thereby killing them. This results in preventing the spread and control of infection.
How to Take Xifaxan?
Xifaxan (Rifaximin) tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. You may consume Xifaxan on an empty or full stomach.
Xifaxan Price In India
|200mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 115.00|
|400mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 215.00|
|550mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 285.00|
Also Read: Zinc Sulphate Price | Zyprexa Price
Common Dosage for Xifaxan?
Xifaxan is generally prescribed two times to three times daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Xifaxan?
Avoid Xifaxan (Rifaximin) if:
- You are allergic to any component of Xifaxan
- You have to undergo a surgery
- You have to take a vaccination
Side-Effects of Xifaxan
Some of the common side effects of Xifaxan (Rifaximin) are:
- Flatulence or gas
- Stomach pain
- Blood in stool
Also Read: Leflunomide Side Effect | Xeljanz Side Effect
Effects of Xifaxan on Organs?
Long term use of Xifaxan (Rifaximin) is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Xifaxan are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One should be careful about the following drug reactions when consuming Xifaxan (Rifaximin):
- Blood pressure or heart disease medications
Effects/Results After Consuming Xifaxan (Rifaximin)
The effect of Xifaxan can be observed within 1 hour of administration. Your allergic symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Is Xifaxan addictive?
Xifaxan is not addictive in nature
Can I have Xifaxan (Rifaximin) with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Xifaxan. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with Xifaxan causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Xifaxan (Rifaximin) when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Xifaxan if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Xifaxan when feeding a baby?
Xifaxan (Rifaximin) is known to pass in mother’s milk to the baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Xifaxan?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Xifaxan. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Xifaxan (Rifaximin)?
An overdose of Xifaxan will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Xifaxan?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Xifaxan, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Xifaxan (Rifaximin)?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements for Xifaxan
- Always store Xifaxan at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Keep Xifaxan (Rifaximin) away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Xifaxan (Rifaximin)
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Xifaxan if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- This medication is not effective for common cold or flu.
- Share your complete medical history with your doctor before taking Xifaxan.