Table of Contents
- What is Zanaflex?
- Uses of Zanaflex
- Zanaflex Composition
- How does Zanafl Zanaflex ex work?
- How to Take Zanaflex?
- Common Dosage for Zanaflex?
- When to Avoid Zanaflex?
- Side-effects of Zanaflex?
- Effect on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In:
- Storage of Zanaflex:
- Pro Tips When Taking Zanaflex:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Zanaflex addictive?
- Can I have Zanaflex with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Zanaflex when pregnant?
- Can I have Zanaflex when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Zanaflex?
- What happens if I overdose on Zanaflex?
- What happens if I take expired Zanaflex?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Zanaflex?
What is Zanaflex?
- Zanaflex contains “tizanidine” as its active ingredient.
- Zanaflex belong to a group of medicines called skeletal muscle relaxants.
Check Out: Myra Medicines Offers | 1mg Offers | Practo Offers
Uses of Zanaflex
- Zanaflex is used for the treatment of muscle spasms resulting from multiple sclerosis, injury or diseases of the spinal cord.
Read more: Mercaptopurine Uses
- Zanaflex tablets contain the active ingredient, tizanidine hydrochloride (4.58 mg equivalent to 4 mg tizanidine base),
- Inactive ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, stearic acid, microcrystalline cellulose and anhydrous lactose.
Know more: Novolog Composition
How does Zanafl Zanaflex ex work?
- Zanaflex works by blocking nerve impulses (pain sensations) that are sent to the brain.
Also check out: Zocor Price
How to Take Zanaflex?
- Zanaflex is available in the form of 2, 4, and 6 mg capsules and 4mg tablets.
- Zanaflex tablets and capsules should be consumed with water.
- The way the tablets or capsules should be consumed with or without food must be decided after consultation with your doctor.
- Do not crush, chew or dissolve the capsules/tablets.
Common Dosage for Zanaflex?
- Recommended starting dose for Zanaflex is 2mg.
- Treatment can be repeated at 6-8 hour intervals, as needed, to a maximum of three doses in a day.
- Dosage can be increased by 2 – 4 mg per dose, with 1 – 4 days between increases.
- Maximum dose per day – 36 mg.
Read more: Zocor Dosage
When to Avoid Zanaflex?
Zanaflex should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to Zanaflex
Read more: Revlimid Precaution
Side-effects of Zanaflex?
- In addition to its intended uses, it may cause few undesirable side effects as well.
- Low blood pressure
- Drowsiness, tiredness, dizziness
- Increase of blood pressure if the patient stops taking medicine abruptly
- Dry mouth
- Decrease or increase in heart rate
- Sleep disorders
- Stomach upset
- Muscle weakness
Effect on organs?
- Dose adjustment is required in patients liver and kidney dysfunction.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Zanaflex can interact with other drugs, vitamin supplements and herbal products. It is always advised that you must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products used before using Zanaflex.
- Drugs that can interact with Zanaflex include –
- Zileuton, fluoroquinolones other than strong CYP1A2 inhibitors
- Antiarrythmics – amiodarone, mexiletine, propafenone, and verapamil
- Cimetidine, famotidine
- Oral contraceptives
- Oral contraceptives
- CNS depressants (e.g., benzodiazepines, opioids, tricyclic antidepressants)
- α2-adrenergic agonists (used to treat high blood pressure)
Shows Effects / Results In:
Zanaflex shows therapeutic effects within 1-2 hours of oral administration.
Storage of Zanaflex:
- Store at cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Zanaflex:
- Do not get up immediately from lying down position as Zanaflex can lead to posture related fall in blood pressure.
- Do not stop taking the drug abruptly as it may lead to adverse withdrawal symptoms.
- Always inform your doctor if you are planning to conceive while taking Zanaflex.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Zanaflex addictive?
- Zanaflex is not addictive.
Can I have Zanaflex with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Zanaflex when pregnant?
- Zanaflex should be given to pregnant women only if the benefit outweighs the risk to the unborn fetus
Can I have Zanaflex when feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Zanaflex?
- Zanaflex can cause fall in blood pressure and cause sedation as a side effect. Make sure you are not affected before you drive.
What happens if I overdose on Zanaflex?
Signs of overdose include lethargy, sleeplessness, confusion and coma.
You must contact your doctor immediately if you have taken an overdose.
What happens if I take expired Zanaflex?
- A single dose of expired Zanaflex may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased overtime.
What happens if I miss a dose of Zanaflex?
- You can take the dose as soon as you remember it but if it’s time for the next dose, avoid taking a double dose.