Table of Contents
- 1 What is Zanocin?
- 2 Uses of Zanocin
- 3 How does Zanocin work?
- 4 How to take Zanocin?
- 5 Common Dosage for Zanocin
- 6 When to Avoid Zanocin?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Zanocin:
- 8 Side-Effects of Zanocin
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 10 Buyer’s Guide – Zanocin Composition, Variant and Price
- 11 Substitutes of Zanocin
- 12 FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Zanocin
- 13 Authored By –
What is Zanocin?
Used mainly to prevent or treat conditions and infections like pneumonia, vaginal and urinary tract infections. Hallucination and Photosensitivity are commonly seen side effects. It should be totally avoided in the case of epilepsy and allergic reactions.
Zanocin Composition: Ofloxacin 100mg.
Manufactured By: Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Prescription: Required as it belongs to Schedule ‘H’ but also available as OTC
Form: Tablet, injection, drops and syrup.
Price: Rs. 41.80 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antibiotic.
Uses of Zanocin
Zanocin is used to prevent or treat the following conditions:
- Gonorrhea: Used to treat gonorrheal infection of vagina caused mostly by transfer of bacterial infection during unprotected sex.
- Pneumonia: Used to treat cases of Pneumonia as it is caused by bacteria.
- Abdominal Infections: Used to treat intra abdominal infections.
- Vaginal Infections: Used to treat and manage vaginal infections.
- UTIs: used to treat and manage Urinary tract infections.
- Skin and Soft Tissue Infections: Used to treat infections of skin and soft tissue which are expected to be caused by bacteria.
- Ear and Eye infections: Used to treat different type of infections of eye and ear.
- Sinusitis: Used to treat inflammation and infection of sinus known to be caused by bacteria.
- Others: Used to treat various cases of Lung Abscess.
How does Zanocin work?
- Zanocin contains Ofloxacin as its main active ingredient.
- Ofloxacin belongs to the Quinolone group of drugs and works by inhibiting the DNA synthesis of bacterial cells and prevents the multiplication of bacterial cells and thereby killing them.
- Zanocin, therefore, exhibits bactericidal activity.
How to take Zanocin?
- Zanocin is usually available in the form of tablets, drops, and syrups.
- Zanocin Tablet is taken by mouth with a glass of water preferably with or after meals as food helps to prevent any potential gastric irritation the drug might cause when taken empty stomach.
- Zanocin Tablet should never be chewed or crushed. It should be swallowed as a whole.
- Zanocin Tablet should be taken with an equal time interval of atleast 8-10 hours between two doses.
- When consuming Zanocin Syrup, always shake the bottle before consumption for homogenous mix of drug and always use a measuring cup.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
Common Dosage for Zanocin
- Zanocin dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per: Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common Adult dose of Zanocin Tablet is a single tablet of 200mg twice a day with an interval of at least 8-10 hours between two doses or as prescribed by the doctor.
- It is not recommended to be administered to children without pediatric consultation
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Zanocin?
Overdose of Zanocin can cause undesirable effects and can also lead to complications in few cases.
Therefore, strictly adhere to the prescribed dose and seek medical help immediately in case of any symptoms of overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Zanocin?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug. A gap of atleast 8-10 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Zanocin?
Consuming expired Zanocin tablet might not exhibit desirable effects or any side effects. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Zanocin and till when does the effect of Zanocin stays?
- Zanocin shows its effect in 1-3 hours of oral administration of drug with average duration of action of 16-20 hours.
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect depends upon the condition being treated.
- Time taken by drug to show the desired effects may vary with every individual patient.
When to Avoid Zanocin?
Do not Consume Zanocin if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to Zanocin or any other drug belonging to class of quinolones and Nitroimidazole like levofloxacin, ofloxacin etc.
- Muscle weakness: Should avoid the drug in cases of weak muscles and fatigue.
- Tendon rupture: In cases of history of tendon rupture.
- Liver/ Kidney impairment: In cases of patients with liver disease and kidney disease or impairment. Patients on dialysis should also avoid this drug unless advised by the doctor.
- Epilepsy: patients with epilepsy should avoid the drug as Zanocin can precipitate seizures.
Precautions While Taking Zanocin:
- Underage: It is not advisable to use the drug under 18 years of age unless advised by the doctor. Variants of the same drug are available for pediatric population.
- Proper use: It is not advisable to use Zanocin against viral infections like common cold or flu as it is ineffective against viral infections.
- Liver/ Kidney diseases: Dose alteration may be required by the physician in patients with kidney or liver impairments.
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration without proper medical consultation should be avoided.
Warnings When Taking Zanocin
- Prolonged use unless stated by the doctor should be avoided.
- There should be the equally spaced time interval between two doses.
- Consume plenty of fluids to counteract the potential undesirable effects of the drug.
- Always consume the tablet with or after meals to prevent any gastric irritation.
- Always complete the prescribed drug course as leaving the course incomplete may lead to the recurrence of infection and drug resistance.
Side-Effects of Zanocin
The side effects associated with Zanocin are:
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Hallucination (less common)
- Diarrhea (common)
- Abdominal pain (common)
- Increased heart rate (less common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Photosensitivity (less common)
- Skin rash (less common)
- Seizures (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Zanocin?
- Zanocin is known to cause an allergic reaction with symptoms like
- Rashes (common)
- Swelling of face, lip, and throat (less common)
- In case of any such signs, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Zanocin on organs?
Zanocin should used with caution in patients with liver or kidney impairment as it can affect the liver and kidneys, when used for long term.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Zanocin. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Zanocin. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Zanocin
Calcium-rich food items and dairy items are to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Zanocin
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Antacids (moderate): avoid consuming Zanocin 6 hours after and 2hours before taking antacids with aluminium/magnesium as it leads to delayed drug absorption.
- Vitamin or mineral supplement containing zinc, calcium or magnesium (mild)
- Warfarin (mild)
- Caffeine (moderate)
- Theophylline (mild)
- Tizanidine (severe)
- Phenytoin (moderate)
- Azole antifungal like ketoconazole (mild)
- Cyclosporine (moderate)
3. Effects of Zanocin on Lab Tests
Zanocin does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Zanocin’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney disease
Q. Can I have Zanocin with alcohol?
No, it is advisable to avoid alcohol consumption while on Zanocin therapy, as it can lead to side effects. Therefore, the doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Zanocin.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid calcium-rich foods and dairy products like milk, yogurt or calcium supplements as they can alter the drug absorption.
Q. Can I have Zanocin when pregnant?
No, it is not safe to consume during pregnancy as it can harm the foetus by crossing the placental barrier. Always inform the doctor before taking Zanocin in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive.
Q. Can I have Zanocin when feeding a baby?
Zanocin should be administered in lactating women only when necessary and the doctor should always be informed about the case.
Q. Can I drive after taking Zanocin?
Zanocin tablet can cause dizziness or drowsiness in few rare cases. Therefore, one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs.
Buyer’s Guide – Zanocin Composition, Variant and Price
|Zanocin Variants||Zanocin Composition||Zanocin Price|
|Zanocin 200mg Tablet||Ofloxacin 200mg||Rs. 68 for 10 tablets|
|Zanocin 200mg/100ml injection||Ofloxacin 200mg/100ml||Rs. 130.50 for 1 pack|
|Zanocin OZ Tablet||Ofloxacin 200mg + Ornidazole 500mg||Rs. 128 for 10 tablets|
|Zanocin-OD 400mg Tablet||Ofloxacin 400mg||Rs. 151.00 for 5 Tablets|
|Zanocin 50mg 60ml Liquid||Ofloxacin 50mg/5ml||Rs. 53.50 for 1 pack|
|Zanocin Eye 10ml Drops||Ofloxacin 0.3% w/v||Rs. 38.00 for 1 pack|
|Zanocin Plus tablet||Cefixime 200mg + Ofloxacin 200mg||Rs. 119.00 for 10 tablets|
Substitutes of Zanocin
The following are alternative drugs for ZANOCIN:
- Oflox 100mg DT Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Cipla.
- Price – Rs. 33.41
- Zenflox DT 100mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Mankind Pharma Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 24.13
- ZO 100mg DT Tablet:
- Manufactured by – FDC Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 25.77
- Flobacin 100mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Sega.
- Price – Rs. 48
Storage requirements for Zanocin
- Store the Zanocin tablet at a dry place away from direct heat or sunlight at room temperature.
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Zanocin
Q. What is Zanocin?
Ans. Zanocin is a solo drug that contains Ofloxacin as its main active ingredient. Zanocin exhibits bactericidal property.
It is used mainly to treat conditions like Urinary tract infections, vaginal infections and pneumonia.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Zanocin to show results?
Ans. The effect of Zanocin can be seen within 1-3 hours of starting the Zanocin therapy but the time is taken by the drug to show the desired effects may vary with every individual patient.
Q. Should Zanocin be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Zanocin should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Q. Does Zanocin make you drowsy?
Ans. Zanocin may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Zanocin doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of 8-10 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Always complete the prescribed drug course as leaving the course incomplete may lead to recurrence of infection and drug resistance and the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Zanocin.
Q. Does Zanocin effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug.
Q. Is Zanocin safe for children?
Ans. Zanocin should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Zanocin?
Ans. Any liver or kidney disorder or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Zanocin.
Q. Is Zanocin legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.