Table of Contents
- 1 What is Zantac 150?
- 2 Uses of Zantac 150
- 3 How does Zantac 150 work?
- 4 How to take Zantac 150?
- 5 Zantac 150 Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage of Zantac 150
- 7 When to avoid Zantac 150?
- 8 Precautions while taking Zantac 150
- 9 Side Effects of Zantac 150
- 10 Effect of Zantac 150 on Organs?
- 11 Storage Requirements for Zantac 150
- 12 Pro Tips When Taking Zantac 150
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Zantac 150 addictive?
- 15 Can I have Zantac 150 with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Zantac 150 when pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Zantac 150 while feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Zantac 150?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Zantac 150?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Zantac 150?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Zantac 150?
What is Zantac 150?
There are many drugs with a high therapeutic index including histamine-2 receptor antagonists (ranitidine). Ranitidine (Zantac) does not inhibit CYPs and is thus generally a better alternative to cimetidine for acid blocking therapy. Histamine-2 receptor antagonists are widely used in the treatment of GERD. These drugs have a very good safety record and are available over the counter as well as by prescription.
Manufactured By – OTC
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Netmeds Medicines | Medlife Medicines
Uses of Zantac 150
Zantac 150 is used to treat:
- Peptic ulcer
- Mild esophageal reflux
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
- Difficulty swallowing.
Also Read: Zofran Uses
How does Zantac 150 work?
Zantac 150 works by decreasing the amount of acid your stomach makes.
How to take Zantac 150?
- Intravenous and intramuscular preparations of ranitidine are also available other than tablets.
- To prevent symptoms, swallow 1 tablet of Zantac 150 with a glass of water 30 to 60 minutes before eating food or drinking beverages that cause heartburn.
- Zantac 150 may be prescribed 4 times a day for some conditions.
Zantac 150 Price In India
|150mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 7019|
Common Dosage of Zantac 150
- In case of nonprescription ranitidine for self-treatment of acid indigestion or heartburn, take 1 tablet by mouth with a glass of water as needed.
- Intermittent bolus dosage of ranitidine is 50 mg, every 6-8 hours.
- Continuous infusion dosage is 6.25-12.5 mg/hour.
- In the case of gastric ulcers, 300 mg after the evening meal or at bedtime or 150 mg twice daily. For maintenance therapy, 150 mg at bedtime is the recommended dosage.
When to avoid Zantac 150?
- Do not use Zantac 150 with other products that contain ranitidine or other H2 blockers (cimetidine, famotidine, nizatidine).
- Using metformin with Zantac may increase the effects of metformin, which may lead to lactic acidosis. This can cause weakness, slow heart rate, and muscle pain, shortness of breath, stomach pain and fainting.
- Zantac 150 decreases stomach acid, so it may change how well these products work (atazanavir, dasatinib, delavirdine, itraconazole, ketoconazole, pazopanib, among others).
Other medicine's Dosage: Sildenafil Dosage | Tylenol Dosage
Precautions while taking Zantac 150
- Do not take more than 2 Zantac 150 tablets in 24 hours.
- Before taking ranitidine, tell your doctor if you are allergic to Zantac or to other H2 blockers (cimetidine, famotidine).
- Before using Zantac, tell your doctor if you have porphyria, immune system problems, kidney problems, liver problems, lung diseases or other stomach problems.
- Do not use Zantac 150 to treat children younger than 12 unless directed by the doctor.
- Older adults may be more sensitive to the side effects of Zantac.
Side Effects of Zantac 150
Some of the reported side effects of Zantac 150 are:
- Impotence (decreased libido in males)
- decreased renal excretion of creatinine
Effect of Zantac 150 on Organs?
- Central nervous system reactions – Rare reports have been made of dizziness, insomnia, and vertigo. Ranitidine causes fewer CNS adverse reactions and drug interactions compared to cimetidine.
- Cardiovascular – Arrhythmias such as tachycardia, bradycardia, atrioventricular block, and premature ventricular beats.
- Gastrointestinal – vitamin B12 deficiency. Elderly patients are more likely to require B12 supplementation than those not taking such drugs.
- Liver – liver failure, hepatitis, and jaundice and require immediate discontinuation of the drug.
- Blood – Thrombocytopenia is a rare but known side effect.
- Skin – Rash, including rare cases of erythema multiforme, hair loss, and vasculitis.
Storage Requirements for Zantac 150
- Keep Zantac in a dry, airtight container.
- Keep it away from direct heat or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of the children.
Pro Tips When Taking Zantac 150
- Zantac relieves heartburn associated with acid indigestion and sour stomach.
- Used for the short-term treatment of active duodenal or gastric ulcers.
- Zantac 150 may be used in addition to antacids.
- May cause false-positive results on urine protein tests.
- Zantac 150 prevents heartburn associated with acid indigestion and sour stomach brought on by eating or drinking certain foods and beverages.
Is Zantac 150 addictive?
No, Zantac is not addictive.
Can I have Zantac 150 with alcohol?
No, you should not have Zantac with alcohol.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No, until your doctor tells you otherwise.
Can I have Zantac 150 when pregnant?
Yes, only if the benefit outweighs the risk.
Can I have Zantac 150 while feeding a baby?
No, you should not consume Zantac while feeding a baby.
Can I drive after taking Zantac 150?
Yes, you can drive after taking Zantac, however, at first wait to see if the drug causes any effects on thinking ability.
What happens if I overdose on Zantac 150?
Overdosing on Zantac may cause difficulty walking, severe dizziness or fainting.
What happens if I eat expired Zantac 150?
Expired medicines may have lost potency and will not be as effective as earlier. Sometimes it can be harmful to the body.
What happens if I miss a dose of Zantac 150?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Skip the missed dose, if it’s time for the next dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.