Table of Contents
- What is Zifi 200?
- Uses of Zifi 200
- How does Zifi 200 work?
- How to take Zifi 200?
- Zifi 200 Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Zifi 200?
- Precautions While Taking Zifi 200:
- Side-Effects of Zifi 200:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Zifi 200 Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Zifi 200
- FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Zifi 200
- Authored By –
1What is Zifi 200?
Zifi 200 is mainly used to prevent or treat conditions like Upper respiratory tract infections and bronchitis. Pseudo membranous colitis and acute renal failure are the major side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver or kidney impairment and allergic to penicillin or other antibiotics.
Zifi 200 Composition: Cefixime Trihydrate 200 mg
Manufactured By: FDC Limited
Prescription: Required as it belongs to Schedule ‘H’.
Form: Tablet and Syrups.
Price: Rs. 100.9 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antibiotic
2Uses of Zifi 200
Zifi 200 is used to prevent or treat following conditions:
- URTI: Used to treat Upper respiratory tract infections (URTI)
- Otitis Media: Used to treat Otitis Media
- Bronchitis: Used to manage Bronchitis
- Cystourethritis: Used to manage Cystourethritis
- Pyelonephritis: Used to treat Uncomplicated pyelonephritis
- Pharyngitis: Used to treat and manage pharyngitis.
- Tonsillitis: Used to Tonsillitis
- Chronic Bronchitis: Used to treat acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis
3How does Zifi 200 work?
- Taxim O contains Cefixime as its active ingredient.
- Cefixime is a cephalosporin and works by inhibiting the cell wall synthesis of bacterial cells.
- Inhibition of cell wall makes the bacterial cells susceptible to the antibiotic and eventually leads to their destruction.
- Cefixime is stable in the presence of Beta lactamase enzymes (produced by bacterial cells as defence mechanism). Hence, it is preferred over other antibiotic in cases where the treatment with other antibiotics have failed
4How to take Zifi 200?
- Taxim O is present in the form of tablets and in the form of syrup (Zifi 200).
- Zifi 200 is taken via mouth with a glass of water preferably with or after food as it prevents any potential gastric irritation caused by the drug when taken empty stomach.
- Zifi 200 should never be chewed or crushed. It should be swallowed as a whole.
- In you are consuming Taxim o suspension, the bottle should be shaken up well before consumption and a measuring cup should be used.
- Zifi 200 should be taken with an equal time interval between two doses.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
5Zifi 200 Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- The common Adult dose of Zifi 200 is 200mg tablet twice 12 hourly or 400mg tablet once daily for 5-7 days depending on the condition or as stated by the physician.
- Common Paediatric dose of Taxim O is 8mg/kg/day of suspension in two divided doses every 12 hours or as decided by the paediatrician for specific cases.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
- Paediatrician should be consulted when administering paediatric dose.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Zifi 200?
Overdose of Zifi 200 can cause serious undesirable effects and can lead to complications in some cases.
Gastric lavage is performed in cases of overdose, by the doctor or trained medical staff.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Zifi 200?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Zifi 200?
Expired Zifi 200 might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Zifi 200?
The effect of Zifi 200 can be seen within first 1-3 days of starting the therapy.
Q. Till when does the effect of Zifi 200 stays?
Although, the time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient.
Also Read: Metrogyl 400 Dosage
6When to Avoid Zifi 200?
Do not Consume Zifi 200 if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to Cefixime or any other drug that belongs to the cephalosporin class or penicillin or other antibiotics.
- Renal impairment: In cases of patients with renal impairment undergoing continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis and patient should be monitored continuously and dose alteration may be required in such cases.
- Anticoagulant therapy: In cases of patients on anticoagulant therapy or any previous history of such therapy, Prothrombin time should be monitored at regular interval.
- Liver disease: In cases of patients with liver disease.
- Colitis: In cases of patients with colitis as this drug is known to cause Pseudomembranous colitis in some cases
7Precautions While Taking Zifi 200:
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration may be required by the physician in patients with kidney or liver impairments.
- Allergy: Zifi 200 should be used with extra caution in patients with hypersensitivity or allergic history with antibiotics.
Warnings When Taking Zifi 200
- There should be equally spaced time interval between two doses.
- Always consume the tablet with or after meals for better absorption.
- The drug must be used with caution in patients on anticoagulants or liver and renal impairment.
8Side-Effects of Zifi 200:
The side effects associated with Zifi 200 are:
- Nausea (common)
- Diarrhoea (common)
- Headache (less common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Seizures (less common)
- Genital pruritis (less common)
- Vaginitis (less common)
- Candidiasis (less common)
- Loose or frequent stools (common)
- Abdominal pain (common)
- Flatulence (less common)
- Dyspepsia (less common)
- Pseudomembranous colitis (less common)
- Skin rashes (common)
- Urticaria (less common)
- Pruritis (common)
- Fever (less common)
- Angioedema (less common)
- Facial edema (less common)
- Erythema Multiforme (less common)
- Steven Johnson syndrome (less common)
- Transient elevation in liver enzymes like SGPT, SGOT and hepatitis and jaundice (less common)
- Acute renal failure (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Zifi 200?
- Zifi 200 is known to cause allergic reaction with symptoms like rashes, breathing difficulty, swelling of face, lip and throat.
- In case of any such signs, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Zifi 200 on organs?
- Zifi 200 should be used with caution in patients with liver impairment as it can affect the liver.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Zifi 200. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Zifi 200. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Zifi 200
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Zifi 200
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (it may cause liver damage) (mild)
- Carbamazepine (increases the level of carbamazepine when given with Zifi 200). (mild)
- Anticoagulants like warfarin leads to increased prothrombin time. (mild)
- Cholera Vaccine (mild)
- Contraceptive pills (mild)
- Amikacin (moderate)
- Cyclosporine (mild)
- Nifedipine (moderate)
- Probenecid (mild)
3. Effects of Zifi 200 on Lab Tests
Zifi 200 cause transient elevation in liver enzymes like SGPT, SGOT.
4. Zifi 200’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases.
Q. Can I have Zifi 200 with alcohol?
No, as consuming alcohol with Zifi 200 may cause liver damage. The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Zifi 200.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Zifi 200 when pregnant?
No adverse events have been reported with Zifi 200 in animal studies but still inform the doctor before taking Zifi 200 in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive.
Q. Can I have Zifi 200 when feeding a baby?
Lactating mothers should use it only when necessary because it is excreted in human milk.
Therefore, the drug should be used with caution and the doctor should always be informed
Q. Can I drive after taking Zifi 200?
Zifi 200 has no affect on the ability to drive but one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs.
Also Read: Metrogyl: Moxikind CV 625 Side effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Zifi 200 Composition, Variant and Price
|Zifi 200 Variants||Zifi 200 Composition||Zifi 200 Price (Rs.)|
|Zifi CV 200mg Tablet||Cefixime 200mg + Clavulanic Acid 125mg||Rs. 230 for 10 tablets|
|Zifi Dry 100mg 50ml Syrup||Cefixime 100mg/5ml||Rs. 112.6 for 1 pack|
|Zifi DT 50mg Tablet||Cefixime 50mg||Rs. 40.5 for 10 tablets|
|Zifi Oral 10ml drops||Cefixime 25mg/ml||Rs. 59 for 1 pack|
|Zifi OZ neo Tablet||Ofloxacin 200mg + Ornidazole 500mg||Rs. 90.5 for 10 tablets|
11Substitutes of Zifi 200
The following are alternative drugs for Zifi 200:
- Cefix 200mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Cipla
- Price- Rs. 100.9
- Cefi 200 Tablet:
- Manufactured by Abbott
- Price- Rs. 160.5
- Afimix 200mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Acto Pharma
- Cefirite 200mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by MHS Pharmaceuticals
- Price- Rs. 80
Storage requirements for Zifi 200
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat at cool and dry place.
- Do not freeze the medication.
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children
12FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Zifi 200
Q. What is Zifi 200?
Ans. Zifi 200 is a synthetically derived form of antibiotic which belongs to the class of cephalosporin. Zifi 200 contains cefixime as its main active ingredient. It is being used in cases of infections known to be caused by bacteria and is more effective against most of the other class of antibiotics as cefixime works well even in presence of beta lactamase enzyme secreted by bacterial cells as a self defence mechanism.
Q. What are the uses of Zifi 200 ?
Ans. It is being used in cases of infections known to be caused by bacteria and is more effective against most of the other class of antibiotics as cefixime works well even in presence of beta lactamase enzyme secreted by bacterial cells as a self defence mechanism.
Q. What are the side effects of Zifi 200 ?
Ans. The most common side effects of Zifi 200 are Nausea, Diarrhoea, Headache, Dizziness, Seizures, Genital pruritis, Vaginitis
Q. How effective is Zifi 200?
Ans. The effect of Zifi 200 can be seen within first 1-3 days of starting the therapy.
Q. Should Zifi 200 be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Zifi 200 should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset and to have better absorption, it should be taken with or after food.
Q. Does Zifi 200 make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Zifi 200 may cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Zifi 200 doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Zifi 200 should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Zifi 200.
Q. Does Zifi 200 effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Zifi 200 safe for children?
Ans. Zifi 200 is safe to be administered in children but proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Zifi 200?
Ans. Any liver disorder or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Zifi 200.
Q. Is Zifi 200 legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –