Table of Contents
- 1 What is Zinetac?
- 2 Uses of Zinetac
- 3 How does Zinetac work?
- 4 How to take Zinetac?
- 5 Zinetac Common Dosage
- 6 When to Avoid Zinetac?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Zinetac:
- 8 Side-Effects of Zinetac:
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 10 Buyer’s Guide – Zinetac Composition, Variant and Price
- 11 Substitutes of Zinetac
- 12 FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Zinetac
- 13 Authored By –
1What is Zinetac?
It is predominantly used to prevent or treat heartburn, acidity, stomach ulcers and conditions like GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease). Gynecomastia (swollen male breasts) is the rare but major side effect seen at repetitive high doses (prolonged use). It should be totally avoided in case of gastric bleeding and in patients with allergic history.
Zinetac Composition: Ranitidine 150mg
Manufactured by: Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Prescription: To be sold by prescription but it is also available as OTC (Over the counter)
Form: Tablets and Injections
Price: Rs 22.62 for 30 Tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: H2 receptor antagonist (Antihistamine).
2Uses of Zinetac
Zinetac is used in the prevention and treatment of following conditions:
- Regurgitation: Used in cases of regurgitation as it prevents the acidic content of the stomach from flowing backwards into the esophagus.
- Gastric Ulcer: Used to treat gastric ulcer.
- Duodenal ulcer: Used to treat duodenal ulcer
- Heartburn: Used to treat symptoms of heartburn as Zinetac exhibits anti acidic properties.
- Gastroparesis: Used in cases of idiopathic or diabetic induced delayed stomach emptying known as Gastroparesis.
- Zollinger Ellison Syndrome: Used to treat Zollinger Ellison syndrome in which acid production in the stomach is increased.
- Indigestion: Used to treat cases of indigestion.
Also Read: Zenfloxoz Uses | Zentel Uses | Zerodol Uses
3How does Zinetac work?
- Zinetac contains Ranitidine as its main active ingredient.
- Ranitidine belongs to the group of H2 blockers and works by antagonizing the action of histamine at gastric H2 receptor sites and thereby inhibits the gastric acid secretion.
- Ranitidine has shown results of achieving 60-70% inhibition of 24 hour gastric acid secretion.
4How to take Zinetac?
- Zinetac is available in form of injections (parental administration) and tablets (oral administration).
- Zinetac should be taken empty stomach (atleast half an hour before food), as food decreases bioavailability of ranitidine.
- It is advised to take Zinetac in the morning (before breakfast).
- Zinetac tablet should not be chewed or crushed instead it is advisable to swallow it as a whole with plenty of water.
- IV (intravenous) injection is also used as a mode of administration of drug.
- Drug should not be discontinued without proper medical consultation even if symptoms have disappeared.
5Zinetac Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- The common dose of Zinetac is single 150mg or 300mg tablet a day in morning, before breakfast, depending on the condition of the patient.
- When administered through IV route 50mg (2ml) is to be injected every 6-8 hours.
- Zinetac should not be used for more than 14 days unless stated by the doctor.
- It is advisable not to alter or stop the dose of drug without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Zinetac?
Zinetac dosage should be strictly consumed as per the prescription by the doctor. The doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Zinetac overdose as it can also lead to toxicity.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Zinetac?
Zinetac should always be taken as per the fixed time schedule and in case of missed dose, always try to consume it as soon as you remember. But, avoid taking the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Zinetac?
Expired Zinetac may not cause any undesirable effect but it is advisable to avoid consuming expired drug as it may not be efficacious enough to provide the needed results and the doctor should be immediately consulted in case of any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Zinetac?
The Drug has a half life of 1-2 hour and its effects of start within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration.
Q. Till when does the effect of Zinetac stays?
It reaches its maximum activity (inhibition of acid) in 2-3 hours.
6When to Avoid Zinetac?
Do not Consume Zinetac if:
- Liver disorders: In known cases of Liver dysfunction or diseases, Zinetac should be avoided or used only when advised by the doctor.
- Kidney Diseases: In known cases of Kidney disease, Zinetac should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Allergy: In known cases of known history of allergy to Zinetac or any of its ingredients.
- Blood disorders: In known cases of blood disorders like porphyria.
- GIT bleeding: In known cases of gastrointestinal bleeding.
7Precautions While Taking Zinetac:
- Proper Consumption: Avoid Chewing or crushing the capsules; instead swallow the capsule as a whole.
- Allergic Reaction: Allergic reaction, if occurs after taking Zinetac should be immediately reported to the doctor or trained medical staff.
- Prolonged use: Avoid prolonged use without medical consultation.
- Time Interval: Fixed time interval of atleast 4-6hours between two doses if advised twice a day in severe cases.
Warnings When Taking Zinetac
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose or altering the dose in any manner may lead to increased risk of side effects.
- Zinetac should preferably be administered in morning.
Also Read: Wysolone Price | Zanduvigorex Price | Zanocin Price
8Side-Effects of Zinetac:
The side effects associated with Zinetac are:
- Constipation (common)
- Headache (less common)
- Rashes (less common)
- Dizziness (less common)
- Restlessness (common)
- Low BP (less common)
- Itching (rare)
- Gynecomastia (enlarged breast in males) (rare) after prolonged use.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Zinetac?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Zinetac are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Itching of skin (less common)
What are the effects of Zinetac on organs?
- Dose adjustment may be required in patients with severe liver and kidney impairment
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Zinetac. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Zinetac. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Zinetac
Avoid carbonated drinks and spicy food as they might aggravate the acidity
2. Medicines Interactions with Zinetac
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (moderate)
- Ketoconazole and Digoxin: decreased gastric acidity due to Zinetac can decrease the absorption of Ketoconazole and Digoxin (moderate)
- Warfarin, phenytoin, carbamazepin and benzodiazepines (Severe): Zinetac may enhance their effects by decreasing their metabolism.
- Atropine (mild)
- Antacids (moderate): If necessary, then it must be taken at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after having Zinetac.
3. Effects of Zinetac on Lab Tests
Zinetac doesn’t affect any laboratory test results.
4. Zinetac’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
liver and kidney diseases are the conditions, which should be taken into consideration before consuming Zinetac.
Q. Can I have Zinetac with alcohol?
No, as there is an increased risk of acidity and reflux in food pipe as alcohol is acidic and can also decrease the potency of the drug.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Carbonated drinks and spicy food should be avoided as they might aggravate the acidity
Q. Can I have Zinetac when pregnant?
Yes, it can be used during pregnancy but only when absolute necessary. The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendation.
Q. Can I have Zinetac when feeding a baby?
Always notify the doctor if you are breastfeeding the child as a precautionary measure as Zinetac is not recommended in lactating mothers.
Q. Can I drive after taking Zinetac?
One should avoid taking Zinetac while driving if it causes drowsiness or dizziness and it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery in such cases.
Also Read: Zincovittablet Side Effect | Zyloric Side Effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Zinetac Composition, Variant and Price
|Zinetac 300mg Tablet||Ranitidine 300mg||Rs. 16.10 for 10 tablets.|
|Zinetac Injection||Ranitidine 25mg/ml||Rs. 3.27 for 1 injection|
11Substitutes of Zinetac
The following are alternative drugs for Zinetac:
- Histac 150mg tablet:
- Manufactured by Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd.
- Price- Rs. 22.61
- Ranitidine 150mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Alkem Laboratories Ltd.
- Price- Rs. 5
- R-Loc 150mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Zydus Healthcare Ltd.
- Price- Rs. 23.18
- Ranloc 150mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price- Rs. 5.3
Storage requirements for Zinetac
- It should be stored at room temperature, away from direct heat and light
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Zinetac
Q. What is Zinetac?
Ans. Zinetac contains Ranitidine as its main active ingredient. Zinetac belongs to the class of H2 blockers. Zinetac serves various purposes like treating acidity, heartburn.
Q. What are the uses of Zinetac?
Ans. Zinetac serves various purposes like treating acidity, heartburn.
Q. What are the side effects of Zinetac?
Ans. The most common side effects of Zinetac are Constipation, Headache, Rashes, Dizziness, Restlessness, Low BP
Q. How long does it take for Zinetac to show results?
Ans. The Drug has a half life of 1-2 hour and its effects of start within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration and reaches its maximum activity (inhibition of acid) in 2 hours.
Q. Should Zinetac be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Zinetac should be taken empty stomach for better effects.
Q. Does Zinetac make you drowsy?
Ans. Zinetac might cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Zinetac doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Zinetac overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Zinetac should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Zinetac.
Q. Does Zinetac effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Zinetac safe for children?
Ans. Zinetac should only be administered in children after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Zinetac?
Ans. Any kidney or liver disease or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Zinetac.
Q. Is Zinetac legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.