Table of Contents
- 1 What is Zithromax?
- 2 Uses of Zithromax
- 3 How does Zithromax work?
- 4 How to Take Zithromax?
- 5 Zithromax Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage For Zithromax?
- 7 When To Avoid Zithromax?
- 8 Side-effects of Zithromax?
- 9 Effects on organs?
- 10 Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
- 12 Shows Effects / Results In
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Zithromax Addictive?
- 15 Can I have Zithromax with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Zithromax When Pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Zithromax when feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Zithromax?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Zithromax?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Zithromax?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Zithromax?
- 23 Storage Requirement for Zithromax
- 24 Pro Tips When Taking Zithromax
What is Zithromax?
Zithromax contains Azithromycin as the chief ingredient.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy Medicines | Medlife Medicines
Uses of Zithromax
Zithromax is an antibiotic which is generally used in a wide variety of infections caused by bacteria, such as infection in tonsils, sinus, skin, infections of ear, nose, and throat, respiratory tract and lungs (pneumonia).
Other medicine's Uses: Buspar Uses | Crestor Uses | Cymbalta Uses
How does Zithromax work?
Zithromax belongs to the class of macrolide antibiotics which interferes with the synthesis of essential proteins in bacteria, causing complete cessation of bacterial growth.
How to Take Zithromax?
- Zithromax usually comes in the form of tablets & suspensions.
- Zithromax tablets/suspensions are usually taken by mouth with a glass of water as directed by your doctor, usually once daily with or without food. For best results, Zithromax must be taken at evenly spaced times.
- Shake the suspension liquid well before each use to mix the medication evenly. Use a measuring cup to consume the correct dosage of medicine.
- The usage of Zithromax must be continued until the prescribed dosage is finished, even if your symptoms disappear.
- It is always advised for the user to read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by the pharmacist and further queries must be solved with your doctor or pharmacist.
Zithromax Price In India
|Strip of 2 Tablets||Rs 41.55|
Also Read: Benzonatate Price | Breo-Ellipta Price
Common Dosage For Zithromax?
- The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
- age and body weight of the patient
- health status/medical condition of the patient
- disease severity
- reaction to the first dose
- history of allergy/drug reactions
- tablets / suspensions
- A typical adult dosage is 500 mg/day for 3days. The physician may also prescribe 500 mg for the first day as a single dose, followed by 250mg/day for the next 4 days.
- Child dosage is based on weight and ranges from 5 mg to 20 mg /kg body weight / day, usually taken for 3 to 5 days.
When To Avoid Zithromax?
- Zithromax doesn’t work in case of viral infections (such as flu, the common cold).
- Unnecessary use of antibiotic must be avoided because it decreases its efficacy.
Side-effects of Zithromax?
- Side-effects are uncommon. Less than 1% of people stop taking the drug due to side effects.
- Most common adverse effects are diarrhea, nausea, upper stomach pain, and vomiting.
- It can also cause a headache with chest pain, dizziness, fainting, fast or pounding heartbeats; fever, sore throat, dark urine, clay-colored stools, and jaundice. fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat, other known side effects include itching, swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs, extreme tiredness, unusual muscle weakness or difficulty with muscle control, pink and swollen eyes.
- Prolonged use up to several weeks can lead to pseudomembranous colitis.
Also Read: Dulera Side Effect | Wellbutrin Side Effect
Effects on organs?
Effects on the liver have been reported. Symptoms of liver damage include –
- Jaundice (yellowing of the eyes and skin)
- Pain in the stomach
- Severe tiredness
- Dark urine
- Increased levels of liver enzymes
- Kidney complications have also been reported. Symptoms include –
- Metallic taste
- Nausea, Vomiting
- Changes in urine
- Itching/rashes on skin*
- Dizziness, shortness of breath
- Pain in legs
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Possible allergic reactions reported are rashes, difficulty breathing or swallowing, swelling, hoarseness, and photosensitivity.
Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use especially nelfinavir; or a blood thinner – warfarin, Coumadin.
- You must inform your doctor if you are on QT – prolonging agents, quinidine/quinine.
- Antacids that contain magnesium or aluminum generally are known to markedly reduce the absorption of Zithromax in the body. Therefore, it must be taken a minimum of 2 hours before / after taking Zithromax.
- You must not take any immunizations or vaccinations while using Zithromax unless your doctor tells you to.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval
- It is very unlikely for Zithromax to affect hormonal birth control such as pills, rings or patches.
Shows Effects / Results In
- You should start to feel recovered during the first few days of treatment with Zithromax.
- A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for a complete cessation of infection from your body (even if the symptoms disappear)
Is Zithromax Addictive?
Can I have Zithromax with alcohol?
- Alcohol can cause liver damage temporarily and that might increase the side effects of Zithromax.
- Also, the chances of having side effects increases when consumed with alcohol because of dehydrating nature of alcohol on your body.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Zithromax When Pregnant?
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Macrolide antibiotics, as a group, are generally safe in pregnancy. There are very few published research papers on the use of Zithromax in human pregnancy however till now; research has not indicated any harmful effects of Zithromax in pregnancy.
- Since there are no well-controlled studies done on the effects of Zithromax in pregnant women, Zithromax should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed.
Can I have Zithromax when feeding a baby?
- Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child.
- There is evidence that Zithromax might be excreted in human breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Zithromax?
Some studies suggest that Azithromycin present in Zithromax could lead to impaired driving ability in few people, especially females who are more than 60 years of age and have been on the drug for more than 2-5 years and have been on the anti-depressant, anti-hypertensive drugs too.
What happens if I overdose on Zithromax?
- An overdose of Zithromax might cause irregular heart rhythm or liver damage.
- If you have taken an over-dose, it is advisable to contact your consulting physician immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Zithromax?
The antibiotic may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
What happens if I miss a dose of Zithromax?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.
Storage Requirement for Zithromax
- Store at a cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture
- Do not freeze the medicine
- Keep medicines away from children and pets
Pro Tips When Taking Zithromax
- Always inform your doctor if you are allergic to Zithromax, azithromycin, clarithromycin, dirithromycin, erythromycin or any other ingredients in Zithromax tablets or suspension.
- Always inform your doctor if you have ever had jaundice or any other liver problems while taking Zithromax or if there is a history of liver/kidney disease
- Always inform your doctor if you or anyone in your family has a history of irregular heartbeat, heart failure, fainting, or sudden death or a blood infection; cystic fibrosis; myasthenia gravis, kidney or liver disease.
- If vomiting happens within an hour after taking Zithromax, call your doctor right away.