Zocor Composition – Simvastatin 20 MG
Manufactured By – Msd Pharmaceuticals
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 172.6
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What is Zocor?
- Zocor belongs to “Statin” group of drugs which are primarily used for the treatment of high blood cholesterol levels.
- The active ingredient of Zocor is “Simvastatin” and it is available in tablet form for oral administration.
Save Using: Myra Medicines Coupon Code | 1mg Coupon Code | Practo Coupon Code
- High cholesterol
- Prevention of myocardial infarction
- Prevention of stoke
- Cardiovascular diseases
- High triglycerides
- Zocor may also be used for purpose not mentioned above.
Know more: Latuda Uses | Zometa Uses
- Simvastatin (40mg)
How does Zocor work?
- Zocor is HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor which limits the cholesterol synthesis in liver by inhibiting the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase which is a rate limiting enzyme.
- Zocor administration along with proper diet control can help lower bad cholesterol (VLDL, LDL) and fats (triglycerides) and raise good cholesterol (HDL) in blood.
- Lowering bad cholesterol and triglycerides and raising good cholesterol reduces the risk of heart diseases and stroke.
Zocor Price in India
|Zocor 20 MG Tablet||Rs 172.6|
|Zocor 40 MG Tablet||Rs 210|
|Zocor 125 MG Syrup||Rs 73.2|
Also check out: Zometa Price
How to Take Zocor?
- Zocor is available in tablet form (5mg, 10mg, 20mg, 40mg and 80mg) to be taken once daily.
- When taken in oral form, it is advised to take this medicine with food or immediately after food at a fixed time daily.
- Patients with high cholesterol do not usually have any symptoms, so continue to use Zocor tablet even if you feel well until your doctor tells you to stop.
- It is important to follow other instructions and bring life style changes like weight reduction, exercise, eating healthy diet along with administration of statins.
Common Dosage & when to take Zocor?
- The recommended starting dose for adults is one 10-20mg tablet per day.
- The dosage range may vary from one single 10-40mg tablet depending upon the condition of the patient.
- After starting the dose, lipid levels should be constantly monitored every 2-4 weeks in order to increase or decrease the dose.
- In case of children, initial dose is 5-10mg per day and the maximum dose is up to 20mg per day.
When to avoid Zocor?
Zocor should not be used or should be used with caution when:
- Allergic to any of its components
- People with active liver or kidney problem
- Patients with pre-existing myopathy (muscle disease)
- Patients with poor glucose control
- Pregnant and breast feeding women
Side effects of Zocor?
- Zocor may produce few side effects, although they may not be seen in all the patients. Few commonly observed side effects include:
- Muscle pain
- Increased blood glucose levels
- Stomach ache
- Impaired liver functions (loss of appetite, dark coloured urine, yellowing of skin and eyes)
- Joint pain
- Stuffy nose
- In addition it may cause some unwanted allergic side effects.
Read more: Revlimid Side Effects
Effects on organs?
- Patients with liver and kidney disease should administer Zocor with caution and under the observation of a doctor. Discontinue this medicine if liver function is not normal.
- Patients with previous or active muscle disorder need to be monitored carefully before administering Zocor. Symptoms like muscle pain or muscle weakness should be immediately reported.
- Zocor should be used cautiously in diabetics as it has been associated with increased blood glucose levels. Regular monitoring of blood glucose is recommended for such patients.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Allergy with Zocor may exhibit following symptoms:
- Chest tightness
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Consult your doctor before administering any other drugs concomitantly with Zocor. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important ones include:
- Oral contraceptives
- Other cholesterol lowering medicines
Shows Effects / Results In:
- Changes in cholesterol levels are noticed after 2-3 weeks of oral administration of Zocor. Even if symptoms disappear, it should be taken until advised.
Storage of Zocor
- Storage at room temperature away from direct heat and light.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Zocor:
- Zocor should be carefully administered in patients with pre-existing muscle weakness, muscle disease, diabetes and active liver disease.
Frequently asked questions
Is Zocor Addictive?
- No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Zocor with alcohol?
- Consumption of alcohol along with Zocor increases the chances of liver damage thus concomitant use of Zocor with alcohol should be avoided.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Drinking grapefruit juice along with Zocor can lead to build up of the drug inside the body and may lead to increased incidence of adverse effects.
Can I have Zocor when Pregnant?
- Zocor is contraindicated in pregnant women as it has shown adverse effects on foetus. Avoid taking it while you are pregnant.
Can I have Zocor when feeding a baby?
- Zocor should not be used in breastfeeding women as the drug may pass into breast milk and may lead to adverse effects in foetus.
Can I drive after taking Zocor?
- Zocor does not usually affect your ability to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Zocor?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not lower blood cholesterol earlier, it may rather lead to severe side effects.
What happens if I eat expired Zocor?
- The medicine may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Zocor?
- Always consume the skipped dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.