Table of Contents
- 1 What is Zofran?
- 2 Uses of Zofran
- 3 How does Zofran work?
- 4 How to take Zofran?
- 5 Zofran Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage of Zofran
- 7 When to avoid Zofran?
- 8 Precautions while taking Zofran
- 9 Side Effects of Zofran
- 10 Effects on organs?
- 11 Storage Requirements for Zofran
- 12 Pro Tips When Taking Zofran
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Zofran (Ondansetron) addictive?
- 15 Can I have Zofran with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Zofran (Ondansetron) when pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Zofran while feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Zofran?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Zofran (Ondansetron)?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Zofran?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Zofran (Ondansetron)?
What is Zofran?
5-HT_3 antagonist, Zofran is very effective antiemetic that targets receptors in the chemoreceptor trigger zone. Zofran is an important antagonist of the 5-HT3-gated channel used to inhibit emesis caused by drugs or disease. They are used mainly for chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting.
Manufactured By – Novartis Phamaceuticals
Other variants and composition –
|Zofran (Ondansetron Hydrochloride – Injection)||EQ 2MG BASE/ML|
|Zofran (Ondansetron Hydrochloride – Oral||EQ 4MG BASE/5ML|
|Zofran (Ondansetron Hydrochloride – Tablet)||EQ 4MG BASE, EQ 8MG BASE, EQ 24MG BASE|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Online | Medlife Order Online
Uses of Zofran
Zofran (Ondansetron) is used to prevent:
- Vomiting (that may be caused by surgery, cancer chemotherapy, or radiation treatment).
- It controls vomiting postoperatively and in patients undergoing cancer chemotherapy.
How does Zofran work?
- Zofran (ondansetron) blocks the actions of chemicals in the body that can trigger nausea and vomiting.
- Zofran (Ondansetron) works by blocking serotonin that causes vomiting
How to take Zofran?
- Both oral and intravenous forms of Zofran are available.
- Zofran can be taken with or without food.
- Take the regular tablet with a full glass of water.
- To prevent nausea from chemotherapy, take Zofran, usually within 30 minutes before treatment begins.
- To prevent nausea from radiation treatment, take Zofran, 1 to 2 hours before the start of your treatment.
- To prevent nausea after surgery, take ondansetron 1 hour before the start of surgery.
Zofran Price In India
|4mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 200|
Common Dosage of Zofran
- The recommended adult dose of Zofran to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by surgery is 16 mg.
- Alternatively, a dose of 4 mg may be given by intravenous (into a vein) injection at the time of surgery.
- Dosage of Zofran to treat and prevent nausea and vomiting caused by radiation therapy is 8 mg taken.cit can be increased to 24mg in case of severity.
Also Read: Sildenafil Dosage | Tylenol Dosage
When to avoid Zofran?
- The concomitant use of apomorphine with antiemetic drugs of the 5-HT3 antagonist class is contraindicated because profound hypotension and loss of consciousness have occurred when apomorphine was administered with Zofran.
- Using Zofran together with duloxetine, escitalopram, trazodone, and sertraline can increase the risk of serotonin syndrome.
- Zofran may reduce the effects of tramadol in some patients. Your doctor may change the dosage of either one.
- Using ciprofloxacin, albuterol, and ciprofloxacin together with Zofran can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening.
Precautions while taking Zofran
- You should not use Zofran (Ondansetron) if you are allergic to it or to similar medicines.
- Ondansetron is not approved for use by anyone younger than 4 years old.
- Zofran may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
- Before using Zofran, tell your doctor if you have an irregular heartbeat, liver disease, stomach or intestinal problems.
- Orally disintegrating Zofran tablets may contain phenylalanine. Be cautious and tell your doctor if you have phenylketonuria.
Side Effects of Zofran
Some of the reported side effects of Zofran are:
- QT interval prolongation
- serotonin syndrome
Also Read: Zantac Side Effect
Effects on organs?
- Nervous system reactions- Headache, drowsiness, sedation, dizziness, paresthesia.
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting, localized anal or rectal burning sensation.
- Reaction in eyes- Visual disturbance or transient visual disturbances (blurred vision).
- Cardiovascular reactions- Sensation of warmth or flushing, bradycardia, hypotension, arrhythmias, chest pain with or without ST-segment depression.
- Respiratory reactions- Hypoxia, lower respiratory tract disease, expectoration, and cough.
- Psychiatric reactions- Anxiety, agitation, disturbance in behavior, sleep disturbance.
- Genitourinary reactions- Gynecological disorder, urinary retention, urinary tract infection or dysuria.
- Skin reactions- Rash, pruritus.
Storage Requirements for Zofran
- Keep it in a dry, airtight container.
- Keep it away from direct heat or moisture.
- Keep Zofran (Ondansetron) out of reach of the children.
Pro Tips When Taking Zofran
- Zofran is available as a generic under the name ondansetron.
- Zofran administration lowers the amount of alcohol consumed, particularly by drinkers who consume fewer than 10 drinks per day.
- Rarely may cause hiccups, blurred vision or vision loss, a rash or liver disturbances, or affect heartbeat (more likely at higher dosages).
- To minimize dizziness and lightheadedness, get up slowly when rising from a sitting or lying position.
- Zofran orally disintegrating tablets and Zofran solution are interchangeable.
Is Zofran (Ondansetron) addictive?
Can I have Zofran with alcohol?
It’s complicated as there are no serious interactions between alcohol and Zofran. Also, Zofran might help alcoholics to consume less of it.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid grapefruit juice.
Can I have Zofran (Ondansetron) when pregnant?
Yes, if the benefit outweighs the risks.
Can I have Zofran while feeding a baby?
Yes, if the benefit outweighs the risks.
Can I drive after taking Zofran?
What happens if I overdose on Zofran (Ondansetron)?
Overdosing may cause sudden loss of vision, severe constipation, feeling light-headed, or fainting.
What happens if I eat expired Zofran?
Expired medicines may have lost potency and will not be as effective as earlier. Sometimes it can be harmful to the body.
What happens if I miss a dose of Zofran (Ondansetron)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Skip the missed dose, if it’s time for the next dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
Also read about other medicine: Yasmin