Table of Contents
- 1 What is Zovirax?
- 2 Uses of Zovirax
- 3 How does Zovirax work?
- 4 How to Take Zovirax?
- 5 Zovirax Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage for Zovirax?
- 7 When to Avoid Zovirax?
- 8 Side-effects of Zovirax?
- 9 Effects on organs?
- 10 Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
- 12 Shows Effects / Results In
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Zovirax Addictive?
- 15 Can I have Zovirax (Acyclovir) with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Zovirax (Acyclovir) When Pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Zovirax when feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Zovirax (Acyclovir)?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Zovirax?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Zovirax?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Zovirax (Acyclovir)?
- 23 Pro Tips When Taking Zovirax
- 24 Storage Requirements for Zovirax (Acyclovir)
What is Zovirax?
Zovirax contains Acyclovir as its chief ingredient.
Manufactured By – Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Other variants and composition –
|Zovirax Susp 100Ml||Acyclovir 400 MG /5ML|
|Zovirax 200Mg Tablet||Acyclovir 200 MG|
|Zovirax 800Mg Tablet||Acyclovir 800 MG|
|Zovirax Iv||Acyclovir 250 MG /INJ|
|Zovirax 400Mg Tablet||Acyclovir 400 MG|
|Zovirax Ophthalmic Oint 3%||Acyclovir 3 %|
|Zovirax 250Mg Iv||Acyclovir 250 MG /INJ|
|Zovirax Cream||Acyclovir 5 %W/W|
|Zovirax Ophthalmic 3%||Acyclovir 3 %|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Discount Code | Medlife Discount Code
Uses of Zovirax
Zovirax (Acyclovir) is an antiviral drug which is generally used to treat cold sores (herpes simplex infections), herpes zoster, chickenpox and genital herpes.
Other medicine's Uses: Benadryl Uses | Bactrim Uses
How does Zovirax work?
Zovirax (Acyclovir) inhibits replication of herpes viral DNA and works by lowering the ability of the herpes virus to multiply in the body. This treats the symptoms of infection and speeds the healing of sores or blisters but this drug doesn’t cure herpes infections.
How to Take Zovirax?
- Zovirax usually comes in the form of a tablet, capsules & suspensions (which has to be taken by mouth, and topical forms. Every possible formulation might not be listed here.
- Zovirax tablets/suspensions are usually taken by mouth with a glass of water as directed by your doctor, usually 2-5 times daily with or without food. For best results, Zovirax must be taken at evenly spaced times.
- Shake the suspension liquid well before each use and always use a measuring cup to ingest the correct dosage of medicine.
- Zovirax skin cream – Clean and dry the area on which Zovirax (Acyclovir) has to be used. Hands should be properly washed before and after applying Zovirax. The area treated with Zovirax should not be washed immediately after cream application.
- The usage of Zovirax must be continued until the prescribed dosage is finished, even if your symptoms disappear.
- It is always advised for the user to read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by the pharmacist and further queries must be solved with your doctor or pharmacist.
Zovirax Price In India
|200mg Strip of 5 Tablets||Rs 34.44|
|250mg vial of 1 Powder for Injection||Rs 518.28|
|400mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 129.36|
|400mg Bottle of 100 ml Suspension||Rs 133.22|
|800mg Strip of 5 Tablets||Rs 151.9|
|Zovirax Eye Ointment: Tube of 5gm Eye Ointment||Rs 37.95|
Common Dosage for Zovirax?
The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
- Age and body weight of the patient
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Disease severity
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- Drink plenty of fluids while taking Zovirax unless you have been directed by your doctor otherwise.
When to Avoid Zovirax?
Do not use Zovirax (Acyclovir):
- if you are allergic to Zovirax
- if you are dehydrated from a recent illness or activity,
- if you have or have ever had problems with your immune system;
- if you are suffering from / have a history of human immunodeficiency virus infection or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)
- If you are suffering from a kidney disease.
Side-effects of Zovirax?
Some of the reported side effects of Zovirax are:
- Pain in joints
- Hair loss
- Changes in vision
Other serious side-effects include
- Loss of consciousness
- Loss of appetite
- Sore throat
- Fast heartbeat
- Pale skin
- Difficulty sleeping
- Fever, sore throat, chills, cough, and other signs of infection
- Unusual bruising or bleeding
- Blood in the urine
- Stomach pain or cramps
- Bloody diarrhea
- Decreased urination
- Aggressive behaviour
- Difficulty speaking
- Numbness, burning, or tingling in the arms or legs
- Pain in joints
Also Read: Copaxone Side Effect
Effects on organs?
Dose modification is needed in patients suffering from kidney and liver diseases.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Possible allergic reactions reported are:
- Rash or blisters
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use especially:
- Anti-fungal drugs like Ketoconazole
- Amphotericin B
- Aminoglycoside antibiotics such as amikacin
- Aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen
- You must not take any immunizations or vaccinations while using Zovirax unless your doctor tells you to.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval
- It is very unlikely for Zovirax to affect hormonal birth control such as pills, rings or patches.
Shows Effects / Results In
- You should start to feel recovered during the first few days of treatment with Zovirax.
- A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for the complete cessation of infection from your body (even if the symptoms disappear)
Is Zovirax Addictive?
Can I have Zovirax (Acyclovir) with alcohol?
The chances of having side effects increases when consumed with alcohol because of dehydrating nature of alcohol on your body.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No, you must drink plenty of fluids while taking Zovirax therapy.
Can I have Zovirax (Acyclovir) When Pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Zovirax should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed.
Can I have Zovirax when feeding a baby?
- Always inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
- There is evidence that Zovirax might be excreted in human breast milk.
- Zovirax should be used during breastfeeding only if clearly needed.
Can I drive after taking Zovirax (Acyclovir)?
Zovirax can cause dizziness, confusion, and fatigue as a side – effect. You must always drive with caution while taking Zovirax therapy.
What happens if I overdose on Zovirax?
- An overdose of Zovirax (Acyclovir) might potentiate side-effects.
- If you have taken an overdose, it is advisable to contact your consulting physician immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Zovirax?
The medicine may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
What happens if I miss a dose of Zovirax (Acyclovir)?
The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times. Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.
Pro Tips When Taking Zovirax
You must drink plenty of fluids while taking Zovirax therapy.
Storage Requirements for Zovirax (Acyclovir)
- Do not freeze this medication
- Keep Zovirax away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach