Greasy, oily hair is a nightmare, especially during those times when you run out of dry shampoo. Excessive oil not only makes you look bad but also attracts pollutants, dirt, grime, and other harmful particles that result in hairfall, irritation, itching, and many other hair-related problems. To help you prevent this, we have curated a list of the best shampoos for oily hair in India. After conducting extensive research, we have listed shampoos that will help you regain your confidence and make you fall in love with your hair all over again.
Our Top Picks
How Do We Choose the Best Shampoos for Oily Hair?
Oily scalp and hair need extra attention to make their hair look healthy and better. Choosing the right shampoo will help in saying goodbye to all the oily hair issues and enjoying a shiny and smooth mane. In India, you can find good-quality, reliable shampoo for oily hair in all budgets. They usually start from Rs 100 and go up to Rs 5,500.
Before you move ahead and make a purchase decision, have a look at the factors that you need to keep in mind for making the right selection.
Read the label
For picking the right shampoo to combat excess oil, you must pay special attention to the label. Shampoos with hydrating, moisturising, or smoothing properties should be avoided as they might make your hair more oily and greasy. On the contrary, shampoos with labels like strengthening, balancing, or volumising are a good pick.
This is another important factor to pay attention to. For people with oily scalps, it is crucial to check the clarifying tendency of the shampoo. Good clarifying properties will help remove the excess oil while being gentle on the scalp and hair.
List of 15 Best Shampoos for Oily Hair in India
Lotus Herbals Amlapura Shampoo
Lotus Herbals Amlapura Shampoo is an Ayurvedic concoction which is enriched with shikakai, amla, baheda, and reetha. This shampoo helps fight dandruff and reduces hair fall to a great extent. Also, regular use of shampoo promotes healthy hair growth and prevents premature hair greying.
Prominent Features of the Lotus Herbals Amlapura Shampoo:
- This shampoo prevents the production of oil and cleans the scalp effectively
- This shampoo works well for normal to oily hair; it is good for daily use
- It is a pH-balanced formula that cures hair fall and prevents tangling
- Enriched with shikakai, it makes hair soft and improves the texture
- Makes hair manageable
- Easily available online
- Cruelty-free formula
- Made with natural ingredients
- Packaging could be more sturdy
Why We Picked the Lotus Herbals Amlapura Shampoo?
Lotus Herbals Amlapura Shampoo is a timeless Ayurvedic recipe that is rich in vitamins and antioxidants that prevents dryness. It washes off the excess oil, making hair strong and healthy from within.
Dove Daily Shine Shampoo
This Dove shampoo for oily hair is a blessing in disguise for everyone who faces hair fall issues due to the greasiness in their hair. Dove daily shine shampoo has been crafted with a nourishing serum that builds a protective shield around the hair fibre and defends your hair from daily hair damage.
Prominent Features of the Dove Daily Shine Shampoo:
- It is a gentle shampoo that keeps your hair looking healthy and lustrous
- Available in different sizes of packaging and in multiple variants
- Re-energizes dull hair
- Protects hair from pollution
- Provides soft and smooth hair
- Contains SLS
Why We Picked the Dove Daily Shine Shampoo?
Dove Daily Shine Shampoo is enriched with a nourishing serum that absorbs into the hair strands and keeps them beautifully nourished and shiny. With regular use, this shampoo will make your oily hair better.
Wella Elements Renewing Shampoo
Treating oily hair has never been this easy, thanks to Wella Professional’s renewing shampoo. This professional oil control shampoo provides maximum keratin protection with its nuTree complex natural tree extracts. It renews your hair’s moisture and helps to nourish the hair from root to tip.
Prominent Features of the Wella Elements Renewing Shampoo:
- Repairs hair and its captivating fragrance leaves the hair full of vitality
- A sulphate-free shampoo, it helps to calm and soothe the scalp and hair
- This shampoo protects hair against keratin degeneration by forming a shield
- Free of sulfates, parabens and artificial colourants, this shampoo is safe to use
- Has a refreshing fragrance
- Mild and gentle shampoo
- Revitalises the hair
- Maintains moisture balance
Why We Picked the Wella Elements Renewing Shampoo?
Wella Elements Renewing Shampoo is an outstanding choice for strong, renewed, and vitalised hair. This is a high-performance shampoo that penetrates deep into the hair follicles to repair and strengthen the roots for a healthy glow.
The Man Company Charcoal Shampoo
Next, we have a popular shampoo that is favoured by men all over the country, Peppermint and Clove Charcoal shampoo by The Man Company. Infused with charcoal, this shampoo offers a lot of benefits for treating an oily scalp. It removes the excess oil from the scalp, which in turn unclogs the hair follicles and makes your hair look beautiful.
Prominent Features of The Man Company Charcoal Shampoo:
- Peppermint and clove offer this shampoo anti-inflammatory properties
- It is an excellent natural conditioner for the hair, thanks to the clove oil
- This shampoo soothes the scalp and skin
- The shampoo is a toxin-free formula that prevents frizz and refreshes hair
- Oil control shampoo
- Improves hair texture
- Removes dandruff
- Promotes healthy growth
- It is a little bit costly compared to other options
Why We Picked The Man Company Charcoal Shampoo?
The Man Company Charcoal Shampoo boosts blood circulation in the scalp and improves hair texture. It is packed with ingredients that work on lifeless hair and eliminate dandruff while treating frizziness and roughness.
Khadi Essentials Charcoal Hair Shampoo
Crafted with the goodness of Ayurvedic ingredients such as activated bamboo charcoal & barley, Khadi Charcoal hair shampoo is one the best oil control shampoos in India. Activated charcoal gently traps, binds and washes away build-up along with dirt and grime to cleanse hair and scalp without stripping hair’s own healthy oils.
Prominent Features of the Khadi Essentials Charcoal Hair Shampoo:
- It helps extract dirt and toxins away from multiple scalp layers
- Removes scalp build-up caused by dead cells and chemical-laden products
- Comes packed with essential nutritive properties for hydration retention
- The shampoo has a natural aroma of essential oils that feels pleasant
- Adds a natural glow
- Deep cleansing formula
- Mild and gentle shampoo
- Provides healthy hair growth
- It does not lather well
Why We Picked the Khadi Essentials Charcoal Hair Shampoo?
This shampoo by Khadi Essentials is a perfect choice for oily hair. That is infused with vital essential oils, hair-loving nutrients, and herbs to provide your dull and thin hair with advanced cleansing, clarifying and repairing care.
Innisfree My Hair Recipe Refreshing Shampoo
A 100% natural beauty brand from Korea, Innisfree is dedicated to sharing the clean and pure energy of nature to give you premium beauty and skin care products. Widely popular across the globe, this brand brings to you a unique oil control shampoo which is a silicone-free shampoo with a cool, fresh recipe to deeply cleanse the oily scalp.
Prominent Features of the Innisfree My Hair Recipe Refreshing Shampoo:
- Infused with Wormwood extracts to cleanse excess oil and impurities
- The silicone-free mild solution ensures a light, fresh scalp and hair care
- The Locrorice extract maintains a balance of scalp oiliness to prevent dryness
- It vitalises weakening hair roots and adds the required strength for healthy growth
- Suitable for daily use
- Removes excess oil
- No added chemicals
- Healthy hair growth
Why We Picked the Innisfree My Hair Recipe Refreshing Shampoo?
Innisfree My Hair Recipe Refreshing Shampoo is formulated with Jeju Phytoncide Complex – Jeju Pine, Cedar and Cypress trees, it lathers thoroughly, cleanses hair and helps to absorb excess oil from the scalp, so it feels healthier.
L’Oreal Paris Extraordinary Clay Shampoo
This shampoo from L’Oreal is a new formula that has been specially crafted to cure oily roots, resulting in fresh hair that lasts for up to 3 days. Made with extraordinary clay, it is an ultra-purifying shampoo that washes off excess oil from the scalp and roots and eliminates impurities and pollution particles.
Prominent Features of the L’Oreal Paris Extraordinary Clay Shampoo:
- It purifies hair from lengths to tips to offer hydrated, free-flowing hair
- This shampoo has a fruity fragrance that feels soothing & lingers on for a while
- Menthol properties of the shampoo leave a cooling sensation after the wash
- Safe for regular use, it does not cause frizziness, hair fall, or roughness
- Adds softness, shine, and bounce
- Has the perfect consistency
- Multiple size packaging
- Improves blood circulation
- Takes time to show results
WOW Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo
WOW Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo is a premium shampoo, totally free of harmful sulphates and parabens. One of the best shampoos for oily hair, it is powered with 100% pure and unrefined Apple Cider Vinegar. It also contains the goodness of Sweet Almond Oil and Argan Oil which gently detoxify the hair & scalp.
Prominent Features of the WOW Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo:
- It clears the build-up caused by dust, pollution, dead scalp cells, & styling products
- Prevents dandruff and flakes for a lighter, cleaner, and itch-free feel on hair and scalp
- This shampoo revives the gloss and lustre of your hair, making them smooth
- Free of harmful sulphates or parabens, it ensures that the skin stays unharmed
- Mess-free packaging
- Rich in essential fats & Vitamin E
- Free from harmful chemicals
- Safe for regular use
- Not a good choice for curly hair
Mamaearth Tea Tree Shampoo
MamaEarth Tea Tree shampoo, which has been formulated with ginger oil and natural extracts, is an outstanding addition to the list. A relatively new brand in India that has already become popular amongst people, MamaEarth is known for producing toxin-free products. The natural ingredients present in this oil-control shampoo ensure easy removal of dandruff and excess oil.
Prominent Features of the Mamaearth Tea Tree Shampoo:
- Rich in anti-fungal & anti-bacterial properties, it reduces itchiness & irritation
- Enriched with ginger oil that contributes to the health and cleanliness of the scalp
- The antioxidant properties of Vitamin E reduce free radicals & prevent damage
- It deeply moisturises the hair and scalp without making them look or feel greasy
- Dermatologically tested
- It is safe for coloured hair
- Paraben-free shampoo
- Repairs damaged hair
- Not suitable for dry hair
Biotique Bio Green Apple Shampoo
On this list of the best shampoos for oily hair, this is a popular shampoo that is loved by thousands of people across the country. The Biotique Bio Green Apple shampoo is a refreshing formula that is blended with pure green apple extract, sea algae and centella to purify and nourish the scalp and hair with natural minerals and proteins.
Prominent Features of the Biotique Bio Green Apple Shampoo:
- Packed with the goodness of aloe vera, reetha, green apples, and almonds
- This pH-balanced formula is gentle enough to use every day without damage
- Free from chemicals, it leaves hair refreshed and full of natural body and shines
- The shampoo promotes hair growth, prevents itching, and reduces dandruff
- For both men and women
- Prevents hair loss
- Leaves hair refreshed
- More quantity is required for better cleansing
Bella Vita Organic Oil Control Shampoo
Formulated with tea tree, neem, liquorice, herbs, and vitamin B5, Bella Vita Organic Oil Control Shampoo is a great pick from the list. It is an all-natural formula that eliminates the excess oil from the scalp and leaves hair smooth and beautiful. This shampoo also helps in balancing the pH level and improves the overall texture of the hair.
Prominent Features of the Bella Vita Organic Oil Control Shampoo:
- The goodness of aloe vera soothes dryness and provides deep nourishment
- It adds volume to the hair while cleansing and purifying the scalp
- Gets rid of sebum build-up from the scalp and helps in fighting dandruff
- This is dermatologically tested shampoo and comes with a pump for easy usage
- For all hair types
- Cruelty-free shampoo
- Unadulterated ingredients
- Does not harm the skin
- Little expensive for the quantity
Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo
One of the best shampoos for oily hair, Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo eliminates 95% of the oil build-up and boosts the volume of the hair instantly. It has a clarifying formula with no artificial dyes or colourants. This 6-fluid-ounce bottle is gentle and mild on the scalp and leaves behind a pleasant fragrance to make you feel refreshed.
Prominent Features of the Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo:
- This shampoo unclogs the hair follicles and adds a silky shine to hair
- Recommended for all hair types, it is safe to use even for colour-treated hair
- Cleansing the hair in just a little quantity, this one bottle goes a long way
- Enriched with grapefruit extract, it offers an ever-so-mild exfoliating action
- Makes hair healthy
- Beautiful packaging
- Soothing aroma
- Detangles the hair
- It is highly expensive
Keya Seth Aromatherapy Oil Balance Shampoo
Now offer your hair a bounce and vitality with Keya Seth Aromatherapy Oil Balance Shampoo. It is an oil-balancing formula that is infused with the goodness of lemon essential oil, pro-vitamin B5, and lavender essential oil. Regular use of shampoo also improves blood circulation and stimulates healthy hair growth.
Prominent Features of the Keya Seth Aromatherapy Oil Balance Shampoo:
- It retains the natural moisture of the hair and improves the elasticity
- An anti-dandruff formula, this shampoo prevents dryness or flakiness
- The goodness of lemon essential oil helps in keeping the scalp free from build-ups
- Contains milk protein that penetrates deep and nourishes hair from the core
- Makes hair manageable
- Deep cleanse the scalp
- Softens the hair
- Boosts hair growth
- It might make hair a bit frizzy
Indalo White Tea Aloe Vera Shampoo
This White Tea Aloe Vera Shampoo from the house of Indalo is packed with the goodness of natural ingredients like white tea, aloe vera, liquorice, and blueberries. This shampoo is a paraben and sulphate-free formula with no added colours, ammonia, chloride, or animal by-products. It prevents premature ageing of the hair while making them manageable.
Prominent Features of the Indalo White Tea Aloe Vera Shampoo:
- Being enriched with natural ingredients, it removes impurities and excess oil
- The antioxidant properties of the shampoo lock in the moisture in the cuticles
- It reduces hair breakage while preventing hair thinning and excessive hair fall
- This shampoo regulates the oil level of the scalp & makes it non-greasy
- Strengthens the roots
- Mess-free packaging
- For all hair types
- Offers healthy growth
- It does not lather well
Aroma Magic Oil Balancing Shampoo
Ending our list with an oil-balancing shampoo from Aroma Magic. It is a gentle hair cleanser that combats the oiliness without disturbing the natural oil or moisture balance of the scalp. This shampoo unclogs the hair follicles and repairs the damaged, rough hair. Promoting healthy growth, it also maintains the pH level of the scalp and hair.
Prominent Features of the Aroma Magic Oil Balancing Shampoo:
- Come packed in recyclable packaging; it is safe for the environment
- It is free from toxins, artificial colouring, fragrances, phthalates, etc.
- This shampoo repairs the damaged strands and promotes faster growth
- Fairly priced shampoo, it is available in five different variants
- Mositurises the scalp
- Promotes hair growth
- Conditions the hair
- Maintains pH level
- It does not help in combating dandruff
Dealing with oily hair is undoubtedly a tiring task. However, with the right shampoo, you can clear off the excess sebum and strip off the oil and dirt from the scalp, leaving behind healthy hair. In this blog, we have mentioned some of the best shampoos for oily hair that you can pick to enjoy shiny and smooth hair. All these shampoos are carefully formulated with natural ingredients and are safe for the scalp. Also, they are easily available in the market. From this list, Lotus, Mamaearth, and Bella Vita are our top choices. Do let us know which ones are your favourite.
In addition to this, we would also like you to check our latest blog, where we have mentioned some of the best shampoos for frizzy hair in India.
Which shampoo is best for oily hair?
All the above-mentioned shampoos are the best in the market for oily hair. You can choose any of the options as per your preference to get rid of excess oil.
What causes very oily hair?
While everyone’s hair is a little oily, it is needed to protect and support a healthy mane. However, there are some common causes of excess oil production on the scalp. This might include unhealthy eating habits, stress, hormonal changes, medications, etc.
How often should I wash oily hair?
People with oily hair are required to wash their hair more often than others to get rid of excess oil. Using the right shampoo, you should wash your hair once every 1-2 days.
Why Trust CashKaro Reviews?
CashKaro reviews are meticulously curated by a team of experts who conducts extensive research to choose the best options available in the market. We test the products and compare them to make sure only good products will make it to our list. For picking the best shampoos for oily hair, we took into consideration several factors and added products that you can trust. While all the options in the list offer the best results, make sure you consult your dermatologist and ensure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients. We hope that this list will help you in finding the right fit for you!