Onions have way more benefits than simply being a kitchen staple. It has been a major component of Indian cooking but its benefits have mostly been overlooked or clouded by tears. It’s time we explored beyond its strong smell and discovered how this simple veggie affects our health and beauty.
What Are the Benefits of Onion Oil?
- Onions are rich in sulphur and contain Vitamins A, C, E, and B-complex.
- They are known to boost the immune system, fight infections, control blood sugar, and aid in digestive problems.
- They also brighten the complexion and protect against harmful UV rays and free radicals because of the presence of a plant pigment known as quercetin.
- Its anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic properties help fight acne, reduce cough and phlegm, and heal wounds.
Here are some other Benefits:
|Hair Benefits of Onion Oil||Skin Benefits of Onion Oil||Health Benefits of Onion Oil|
|Nourishes hair follicles||Nourishes skin||Improves heart health|
|Restores nutrients||Makes skin soft & supple||Promotes healthy digestion|
|Minimizes breakage & thinning of hair||Reduces Pigmentation||Maintains bone health|
|Fights dandruff & promotes growth||Treat acne||Relieves earache|
|Increases strength & volume||Reduces dark spots||Induces sleep|
|Reduces greys||Natural exfoliator||Improves eye health|
Which Onion Oil Brands Do We Recommend?
Choosing the right onion oil could be a tough decision, considering many variants come with more harmful toxins than actual extracts. So, below are some of the best onion oil for hair growth for you with their benefits.
Our Top Picks :
List Of Top Onion Oil Brands In India For Hair Growth
Mamaearth Onion Oil
Mamaearth’s Onion oil is made from natural extracts of Onion, Sunflower Oil, Amla Oil, Hibiscus Oil, Almond Oil, and more. It promotes and boosts regrowing of hair by providing the richness of sulphur, potassium, and antioxidants. Being Asia’s first brand that has been certified by Madesafe, Mamaearth Onion oil is an expert’s recommendation.
Benefits of Mamaearth Onion Oil:
- Boosts hair growth
- Adds strength & shine
- Made with natural extracts
- Safe for chemically treated hair
- Toxins free
- Nourishes scalp
WOW Onion Black Seed Hair Oil
Infused with the goodness of Onions, Black Seed, Almonds, Castor Oil, and Jojoba, this onion is ideal for people dealing with alarming hair fall. It not only helps nourish your hair but also reduces frizziness to keep your hair smooth and shiny. It comes in a sleek bottle with a pump so you can control the amount of product needed.
Benefits of the WOW Onion Black Seed Hair Oil:
- Tames frizziness
- Promotes hair growth
- A concoction of natural ingredients
- Non-greasy formula
- Free of sulfates, mineral oil, and parabens
Beardo Onion Oil Concentrate
This onion oil is rich in sulphur, which promotes healthy collagen growth and in turn reduces hair fall. It has antibacterial properties that keep dandruff and itchy scalp at bay. Since it is a powerful blend of multivitamins and antioxidants, you will experience softer, thicker, and beautiful hair within a few months of usage.
Benefits of the Beardo Onion Oil Concentrate:
- Rich in antioxidants
- Odor-free oil
- Has vitamins B, C, and E
- Good for dandruff
- Lends a natural shine to the hair
- Suitable for all hair types
Khadi Essentials Ayurvedic Red Onion & Black Seed Hair Nourishment Oil
A blend of Red Onion and Black Seed Oil which is fortified with Jaborandi oil, this product helps control hair thinning and brittle hair. It renders heavy nourishment to your locks so that they look and feel healthy. As compared to traditional onion oils, this one doesn’t have any unpleasant odour so you can use it without any second thoughts.
Benefits of the Khadi Essentials Ayurvedic Red Onion & Black Seed Hair Nourishment Oil:
- Has Jaborandi which promotes healthy hair growth
- Contains Almond, Jojoba, Olive & Coconut Oils
- Has no odour
- Non-sticky and non-greasy oil
- Tames unruly hair and tones down the frizz
- Also has tea tree extracts
Parachute Advansed Onion Hair Oil
This oil is made with a blend of onion oil and coconut oil, both ingredients known to be highly potent and beneficial for your hair. It penetrates deep into your roots to strengthen them and soften your hair eventually. It has a pleasant aroma which will be no less than therapy for you.
Benefits of the Parachute Advanced Onion Hair Oil:
- Has coconut oil that deeply nourishes
- Soothing aroma
- Boosts hair growth
- Helps prevent unwanted hair loss
- No parabens, no sulphates, no artificial dyes, no silicones, no formaldehyde
How to Use Onion Oil for Hair Growth?
- Add some onions to the water and bring them to a boil. Strain and let it cool. Wash your hair with this water
- For head lice, you can make a paste of 3 tbsp fenugreek seeds and onion oil. Soak the seeds overnight in water and make the paste the next morning. Apply and leave for 30 minutes, wash as usual
- Use diluted onion oil to massage your scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash as usual
- Onion oil can also be diffused with Olive or other oils for a head massage
- You can also make different hair packs by combining onion oil with honey, curry leaves, or yoghurt
How To Use Onion Oil on Skin?
- Make a face pack by mixing a few drops of onion oil with gram flour and yogurt. Apply and leave for 10 minutes and then wash off with normal water
- You can also massage your skin with onion juice for a youthful glow
- Apply onion oil mixed with olive or lavender oil and leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Wipe off with a cotton ball soaked in milk
- Mix a few drops of onion oil with yogurt and apply all over your face. Wash off with water
- For soft lips, apply a thin layer of fresh onion juice or a drop of onion oil mixed with vitamin E oil overnight
Uses and Dosage of Onion Oil
- If taken orally, it should be diluted in warm water. This helps with indigestion but a consultation with your medical practitioner is suggested.
- If used externally, a few drops of onion essential oil would suffice. Although diluting it is recommended.
*Products mentioned on this list are to be applied topically on hair. The products are not to be ingested.
Side Effects of Onion Oil
- Onion oil as a supplement should be avoided by pregnant and breastfeeding ladies
- It can interact with medications
- If being used externally, an allergy patch test is recommended
In addition to this, we would also like you to check our latest blog, where we have mentioned some of the top onion shampoos in India for hair growth and treatment. Do have a look and let us know if you find it helpful.
Q. Is onion oil beneficial for hair?
A. Yes, onion juice is known to boost hair growth and regrowing hair. You can mix onion juice with olive oil for the best results as olive oil has anti-dandruff properties which will maximize the effect.
Q. Which is the best for hair regrowth castor oil or onion oil?
A. Both are good for hair regrowth, but mixing castor and onion oil can do wonders for your hair by strengthening the roots and nourishing the scalp.
Q. Can onion oil be used for rebonding hair?
A. Yes, you can use onion oil for rebonding hair as it will balance the pH of the scalp and nourish it. You can also consider coconut oil, olive oil, and castor oil, for the same purpose.
Q. Can we apply onion oil overnight?
A. Yes, you can apply it overnight twice a week. But use it in a limited quantity as it contains sulphur which can irritate your skin.
Q. Can we use shikakai after applying onion oil?
A. Yes you can, as shikakai is a natural and mild cleanser that helps curb dandruff.