There has been a debate around the presence of SLS – Sodium Lauryl Sulphate – in popular shampoos for years now. SLS is the ingredient which makes your shampoo lather up really good and makes your hair feel clean. It is also the ingredient which makes your hair dry, irritates your skin and hurts your eyes. Needless to say, when your shampoo contains a component which is also added to floor cleaners and cloth detergents, it has got to go. Here at CashKaro, we have come up with a few shampoos that do the job perfectly without taking the help of questionable ingredients.
Our Top Picks
How Do We Choose the Best SLS Free Shampoos For You?
SLS are a harmful ingredient that must be avoided while buying a good quality shampoo. In India, a good quality SLS-free shampoo costs anywhere between Rs 400 to Rs 2,000. Before you jump into our recommendations for the best SLS-free shampoos in India, take a look at the factors that helped us decide on the best products for you.
The first factor you should look into while buying shampoo is your hair type. While some shampoos are designed exclusively for dry or oily hair types, others may be used on all kinds of hair. Choose a shampoo that is appropriate for your hair type.
Not all components of a shampoo work for all people. Choose a shampoo that has elements that are good for your skin and hair and have no negative effects on either. Other than SLS, avoid using products which have sulphates and parabens as their ingredients. Do not use oil-based shampoo if your hair is greasy. On the other hand, if you have dry hair, an oil-based shampoo will work best.
Dandruff, hair loss, greasiness, dryness, and frizzy hair are all common hair issues. Pollutants and grime may accumulate on your hair and affect its quality. The shampoo you use should clean your hair and scalp while treating the hair problems you have.
List of the Top 11 SLS Free Shampoos in India
Forest Essentials Hair Cleanser
Forest Essentials Hair Cleanser is one of the best SLS-free shampoos that cleanse your hair from root to tip. Application of the Forest Essentials Hair Cleanser provides strength to your hair roots, cleanses them thoroughly and nourishes the scalp. It adds moisture to your hair by making them soft and shiny. It is specifically formulated to cleanse your hair without posing harmful side effects. These herbs work together to make your hair smooth and manageable.
Prominent Features of the Forest Essentials Hair Cleanser:
- Without removing the natural oils, this strong Ayurvedic shampoo cleanser thoroughly cleans the scalp and hair
- The Forest Essentials Hair Cleanser prevents hair loss and breakage while promoting new hair development
- The shampoo calms the scalp and aids in dandruff management
- Lathers well
- Does not dry out hair
- Softens hair and adds lustre
- This Shampoo Prevents hair fall
- Does not clean oily hair properly
Why We Picked the Forest Essentials Hair Cleanser?
The Forest Essentials Hair Cleanser is a nutrient-rich, sulphate-free shampoo. It includes amla, Haritaki, soy protein, pure coconut oil, herbal infusions, and raw organic honey. The Forest Essentials Hair Cleanser is excellent for all hair types. The shampoo is free of petrochemicals, chemicals, and parabens.
Wella Professionals Elements Renewing Shampoo
Wella Professionals Elements Renewing Shampoo is a wondrous creation that is free of harmful parabens and SLS. The product lives up to its claim by renewing moisture and nourishing hair from the root to the tip.
Being loaded with plant extracts and Argan Oil, the shampoo provides natural keratin protection without the presence of sulphates, parabens or artificial colours. It is infused with ‘NuTREE Complex’ that renews the moisture in your hair along with preserving and nourishing it.
Prominent Features of the Wella Professionals Elements Renewing Shampoo:
- High-performance hair care is available from Wella Elements Renewing Shampoo, which you can feel with your senses
- The Wella Shampoo restores hair and stops keratin deterioration
- Sulfates, parabens, and synthetic colouring are not included in this shampoo
- Provides shine to hair
- Controls frizzy hair
- Adds volume to hair and gives a natural bounce
- Makes hair soft and shiny
- Free from sulphates and parabens
- Not recommended for oily hair
Why We Picked the Wella Professionals Elements Renewing Shampoo?
The Wella Professionals Elements Renewing Shampoo is free from sulfates and restores moisture to the hair, protecting and nourishing it from root to tip. Infused with NuTREE complex, the shampoo protects against keratin deterioration in hair. The panthenol in the shampoo penetrates the hair deeply to restore the damage.
SoulTree Hibiscus Shampoo
SoulTree Hair Repair Shampoo is a great product that deeply cleanses your hair along with nourishing them. It is formulated with an amalgamation of Licorice, Henna, Bhringraj, and Shikakai that strengthen your hair deeply. It also helps in darkening, volumising and revitalising your hair. Its mild fragrance adds to the all-natural shampoo experience. It’s time you revitalize your hair with Soul Tree Hair Repair Shampoo now.
Prominent Features of the SoulTree Hibiscus Shampoo:
- The SoulTree Hibiscus Shampoo cleanses without removing the natural oils from the scalp and hair
- The shampoo reduces dryness, frizz, and breakage and makes hair smooth and lustrous
- The SoulTree Hibiscus Shampoo is 100% vegetarian
- Adds volume to hair
- Prevents hair fall
- Mild fragrance
- Free from harmful chemicals
- Completely organic
- May require dilution
- It may take time to show the results
Why We Picked the SoulTree Hibiscus Shampoo?
The SoulTree Hibiscus Shampoo is an organic shampoo infused with honey and aloe vera. It cleans the hair without removing the natural oils from the scalp and hair, leaving the hair feeling supple and well-cared-for. The shampoo reduces dryness, frizz, and breakage. It makes hair smooth and lustrous.
Moreover, we would also like you to check our recent blog, where we have mentioned some of the best onion shampoos available online in India. Do have a look.
Khadi Natural Neem & Aloe Vera Herbal Shampoo
Khadi Neem & Aloe Vera Shampoo is induced with active ingredients like Neem, Green Tea, and Aloe Vera. While Neem takes care of dandruff, Aloe Vera repairs damage giving you the clean, luscious locks you always wanted. The extracts of green tea offer freshness to you that lasts all day long. This shampoo fights dandruff and a flaky scalp if used regularly. Being free of Parabens and SLS, this shampoo will help you to make your scalp and hair nourished from within naturally.
Prominent Features of the Khadi Natural Neem & Aloe Vera Herbal Shampoo:
- The Khadi Natural Neem & Aloe Vera shampoo removes dead skin cells to prevent dandruff and restores damaged hair
- The shampoo has antifungal and antibacterial qualities that aid in getting rid of dandruff.
- Neem leaf extracts include a high concentration of antioxidants that stop hair from prematurely greying
- The Khadi Shampoo cures the symptoms of an itchy scalp and flaky skin beneath your hair
- Formulated with herbal ingredients
- SLS & Paraben free
- Cleanses scalp effectively
- Reduces itchiness
- Mild aroma
- Not suitable for dry hair
- May require conditioner post shampoo
Why We Picked the Khadi Natural Neem & Aloe Vera Shampoo?
The Khadi Natural Neem & Aloe Vera shampoo removes dead skin cells to prevent dandruff and helps heal damaged hair. They have antifungal and antibacterial qualities that aid in getting rid of dandruff. They leave your scalp hydrated and healthy and lessen dryness, flakiness, and itching.
Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo is a permanent solution to say goodbye to damaged, dry, and lifeless hair. Infused with Argan oil of Morocco, this shampoo is the best way to treat your hair. This shampoo hydrates your hair and leaves them soft and strengthened. It also undoes the damage caused by UV rays and heat. Restoring strength to your hair, this shampoo makes your lock smooth and silky. Free of Parabens, SLS and other harmful chemicals, Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo is a great mild shampoo that makes your hair strong, shiny and healthy.
Prominent Features of the Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo:
- With this shampoo containing Moroccan argan oil, you can hydrate, mend, and revitalize dry hair
- This hydrating shampoo helps leave tresses feeling luminous, silky, and smooth as it is free of parabens and sulfated surfactants
- By entering hair strands to seal in moisture, this moisturizing shampoo aids in hair renewal and softening
- Leaves your hair soft
- Removes excess oils effectively
- Adds a natural bounce to your hair
- Reduces hair fall
- Does not control frizz
- Does not lather well
Why We Picked the Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo?
With its potent, priceless combination of cold-pressed Moroccan argan oil, the Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo gives your hair a natural boost while being moisturised and revived. Additionally, the citrus-fresh, floral-green, and woody fragrance leaves hair feeling beautiful. The sulfate-free haircare solution is gentle while it cleans hair and protects it from style damage since it is paraben-free.
The Body Shop Vegan Shea Intense Repair Shampoo
The Body Shop Shea Intense Repair Shampoo is a perfect pick for people who have dry hair. If your oily hair gives you nightmares, then switch to this miraculous product that is free of silicones, sulphates, parabens and colourants.
It’ll make your hair look clean and fresh for days. Gently cleaning substances were included in the formulation to prevent drying out of the hair. The Body Shop Shampoo maintains the natural oil production of the scalp.
Prominent Features of The Body Shop Vegan Shea Intense Repair Shampoo:
- This mild washing shampoo is ideal for dry, brittle hair that is prone to damage since it won’t deplete your hair of moisture
- The Body Shop Shampoo is made up of vegan components
- Hair seems less tangled, more manageable, and softer with The Body Shop Vegan Shea Intense Repair Shampoo
- Removes excess oils
- Mild shampoo
- Does not have SLS
- Mild fragrance
- Completely organic
- Not suitable for oily hair
Tresemme Pro Protect Sulphate Free Shampoo
For long-lasting hair vitality, Tresemme Pro Protect Sulphate Free Shampoo is enriched with Moroccan argan oil’s beneficial properties. This shampoo leaves a hint of shine after washing your hair and is also excellent for coloured hair.
This shampoo thoroughly cleans your hair while preserving its natural glow. This shampoo intensively nourishes your hair and provides it with essential nutrients.
Prominent Features of Tresemme Pro Protect Sulphate Free Shampoo:
- The Tresemme Shampoo contains beneficial Moroccan Argan Oil that nourishes your hair
- The shampoo gives long-lasting vitality and lustre to hair
- Using this quality sulphate-free shampoo helps keep the colour of your hair
- Nourishes hair with essential nutrients
- Makes hair shiny
- Good for colour-treated hair
Amrutam Bhringraj Hair Shampoo
The Amrutam Bhringraj Hair Shampoo does more than simply wash your hair clean. This shampoo is packed with natural components that have healing properties.
In addition to promoting blood circulation, this shampoo and conditioner treat dandruff, hair loss, dry scalp, and premature greying. The three main elements that actively enhance the general texture of your hair are bhringaraj, triphala, and shikakai.
Prominent Features of the Amrutam Bhringraj Hair Shampoo:
- The shampoo has bhringraj may cure headaches, dandruff, dry scalp, hair loss, and scalp infections on its own
- Reetha is a powerful element in the shampoo because of its antiseptic and antibacterial qualities
- The shampoo thickens and silkens hair by strengthening the roots.
- Prevents dandruff and hair scalp
- Antibacterial and antiseptic components
- Nourishes hair and makes it smooth
Love Beauty & Planet Sulfate Free Shine Shampoo
Your dull, damaged hair gets back its gloss thanks to this sulfate-free shampoo from Love Beauty & Planet. It also smooths out the dry ends for hair that is healthy and happy.
White jasmine essential oil is one of the plant-based cleansers used to make this shampoo. These organically derived oils leave behind a lingering flowery scent. This shampoo contains apple cider vinegar and 100% organic coconut oil included in this sulfate-free hair care product are also proven to hydrate and nourish hair thoroughly.
Prominent Features of the Love Beauty & Planet Sulfate Free Shine Shampoo:
- The shampoo contains 100% organic coconut oil, which is proven to hydrate and nourish hair profoundly
- Additionally, this shampoo is dye-free, sulfate-free, paraben-free, vegan, and good for hair that has undergone colouring
- The Love Beauty & Planet Shampoo smooths the ends of dry hair for healthy, happy hair while bringing back the shine to dull, damaged hair
- Hydrates and nourishes hair
- Recyclable bottled packaging
- Good for coloured hair
Mamaearth Almond Shampoo
The Mamaearth Almond Shampoo is enhanced with the natural benefits of cold-pressed almond oil, vitamin E, and wheat amino acids, which help you get stronger and longer hair.
With reviving components, including wheat amino acids and almond oil, you can shield and clean your scalp. The Almond Shampoo was created with all-natural ingredients and is free of silicone, sulfates, parabens, SLS, petroleum, artificial preservatives, and colours.
Prominent Features of the Mamaearth Almond Shampoo:
- The presence of Vitam E in the shampoo stops hair loss, enhances blood circulation, and encourages cell renewal
- The shampoo increases suppleness, decreases frizz, strengthens hair, and preserves the natural keratin
- The Mamaearth Almond Shampoo is totally free of silicones, SLS, and parabens
- Suitable for all hair types
- Cleanses hair deeply and gently
- Keeps scalp clean and healthy
- Does not lather well
L’Oreal Paris Evercreme Sulfate Free Deep Nourish Shampoo
The L’Oreal Paris EverCreme Shampoo cleans your hair without stripping it. This solution, which contains Omega-3 and Omega-6, immediately coats each strand with triple-action deep conditioners while gently cleansing and replenishing moisture lost. Without being weighed down, the hair is left looking and feeling healthy. The shampoo is free from abrasive salts, sulfate, and paraben.
Prominent Features of the L’Oreal Paris Evercreme Sulfate-Free Deep Nourish Shampoo:
- With deep hydration, this deep nourishing shampoo gently washes damaged, dry hair
- The shampoo is made with the benefits of apricot oil to provide a smooth and soft hair texture
- This shampoo is really mild on coloured hair, making it a worthwhile purchase for hair maintenance
- Provides deep hydration
- Makes hair soft and smooth
- Free from sulfates, parabens, and salts
In addition to this, we would also like you to have a look at our latest blog, featuring some of the best ayurvedic shampoos to stop hair fall. Do check it out.
We hope that our curated list has helped you decide on the finest sulfate-free shampoo with you that will provide the ideal levels of hydration, proteins, and nutrients for your hair. Based on our research, the Forest Essentials Hair Cleanser, Wella Professionals Elements Renewing Shampoo, and SoulTree Hibiscus Shampoo are our top picks for the best SLS-free shampoos in India. While making our recommendations, we took into consideration factors like hair type, product ingredients, and hair issues. Let us know which one worked out best for you.
What is SLS?
SLS is known as Sodium Lauryl Sulphate. It is a chemical agent used to cleanse hair. It helps in making froth in soaps and shampoos. Since the 1930s, SLS has been used in soaps. This chemical agent is derived from Petroleum, Coconut Oil, and Palm Oil. As it is one of the most effective cleaning agents, it is used in floor cleaners, shampoos and soaps.
Are Khadi Shampoos SLS free?
Yes, most of the Khadi Shampoos are SLS-free. Khadi Shampoos are made from herbal extracts that do not harm your hair in any way. The Khadi Neem & Aloe Vera Shampoo is one of the best shampoos by Khadi, which is both SLS and Paraben free. It effectively nourishes your hair, making them soft and shiny.
Is Sodium Lauryl Sulphate bad for your hair?
Yes, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is bad for your hair as it can remove the essential natural oils from your hair. It strips off the moisture from your hair and makes your hair dry and scalp itchy. If your hair has been chemically treated or already coloured, then SLS may remove the colour and other chemicals from your hair.
Which is the best chemical-free shampoo?
There are many chemical-free shampoos available on the market that can help in treating your hair well. However, Forest Essentials Hair Cleanser is one of the best SLS-free shampoos. It helps to cleanse your scalp and hair moderately. It contains natural extracts of Henna, Reetha, Rose Oil and Shikakai, which helps in making your hair shinier, longer and stronger.
Is Johnson’s Baby Shampoo SLS free?
Yes, Johnson’s Baby Shampoo is SLS-free. It is specifically formulated for children as they have sensitive skin and hair. This baby shampoo is free from all sorts of Parabens, SLS and other chemicals. If you are an adult who wishes to have baby-soft hair, then you can use it as well.
Is SLS in shampoo bad?
Yes, the higher the content of SLS in your shampoo, the higher would be the damage to your hair and scalp. SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate) may cause itchiness, dryness and split ends in your hair. It does not protect the colour of your hair, disrupts the pH balance, and can also alter the effects of chemically-treated hair.
What is the best sulphate-free shampoo?
According to us, the Forest Essentials Hair Cleanser, Wella Professionals Elements Renewing Shampoo, and SoulTree Hibiscus Shampoo are the best sulphate-free shampoos in India. However, we recommend that you go through our entire list and choose one that is best suited to your requirements.
Does SLS cause hair loss?
Yes, SLS may cause hair loss if used regularly. Excessive exposure to SLS can cause the roots to weaken, which in turn causes hair to fall. If you are someone who is experiencing hair fall, then you must change your shampoos to herbal and non-SLS variants.
What are the side effects of Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS)?
Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is a cleansing agent that forms a lather in shampoos and other cleaning agents. Excessive exposure to SLS may cause hair loss, itchy scalp, dry hair, nausea, eye irritation and vomiting. Hence, if you are suffering from any of the above side effects, you must change your shampoo to an SLS-free one.
Why Trust CashKaro Reviews?
Highly experienced and competent researchers at CashKaro work hard to provide you with the finest market suggestions available online. To create a list of products you can trust, we evaluate various products and compare them based on a variety of factors. We considered hair type, product ingredients, hair issues and other aspects while making our recommendations for the best SLS-free shampoo in India. We really hope that this list will assist you in reaching an educated conclusion.