A primer is the first layer that goes on the face before the real makeup begins, and yet it is the most underrated one. A primer helps even out your skin and smoothens the base for your usual makeup routine. It is important to create the perfect base for the foundation and concealer that would come on later, but for those with oily skin, choosing a suitable primer with care is important.
A primer should not add to the oily skin by making it shinier. Rather, the paint should give it a natural, matte finish. Here are some of the best brands of primers for oily skin to help you make a choice. Here, you can also check some of the best primer spray brands & list of top primer brands for sensitive skin in India.
How Do We Choose the Best Primers for Oily Skin?
A primer can make your makeup look a lot better and help it last for a very long time. It helps in blurring out any unwanted texture to provide a smooth base to apply your makeup properly. In India, you can purchase good quality primers ranging from Rs 250 to Rs 799, depending on your need and budget. Here are some factors that help us decide the best primers for you.
The three most common types of primers available in the market are mattifying, moisturising, and spray primers. If you have oily to normal skin, you can go for matte silicone-based primers as they create the perfect base for you to put on your makeup. If you have dry skin, you can go for nourishing primers that do much more than just perfect your skin. For people who have to be out for long hours, choosing a spray primer can do wonders as it helps the makeup to stick for a much longer period. There are many colour-correcting primers also available in the market for concerns such as hyperpigmentation and redness on the skin.
No matter what skin product you use, always look out for formulas with clean ingredients and fewer chemicals. We look for primers that are fragrance-free, oil-free, paraben-free, and sulphate-free. Many primers come with natural ingredients such as vitamins and minerals that can benefit your skin while smoothening it out. In this list, we have added some of the best primers that you can use every day.
|Our Top Recommendations||Best Prices on Amazon|
List of 15 Best Brands of Primer for Oily Skin in India
On this page:
- 1. Lakme
- 2. Lotus Herbals
- 3. L’Oreal Paris
- 4. Colorbar Cosmetics
- 5. Blue Heaven
- 6. Nykaa
- 7. Maybelline New York
- 8. Clinique
- 9. Revlon
- 10. Wet n Wild
- 11. Swiss Beauty
- 12. Sugar Cosmetics
- 13. Faces Canada
- 14. Insight
- 15. Oriflame
- 1. What primer is good for oily skin?
- 2. Does primer help oily skin?
- 3. What is the best primer for acne and oily skin?
- 4. How can I control my oily face with makeup?
- 5. How do I choose a primer?
Lakme is a popular Indian cosmetics company that has been ruling the market for decades. It was brought to life in 1952 by JRD Tata and Simone Tata. The company majorly retails skincare and makeup products priced at the affordable end. With Lakme, you only get great quality and true value for money.
Prominent Features of the Lakme Absolute Blur Perfect Makeup Primer:
- It is lightweight and helps the rest of the makeup glide smoothly over the skin
- Also helps in excess oil production and ensures that the makeup stays put for a long duration.
- Comes in a creamy, blendable texture in a waterproof silky formula
- It blends seamlessly for a more vibrant, true colour finish, and also masks pores and blemishes
- Comes in a tube and weighs 30 ml
- Blends easily
- Little product goes a long way
- Lightweight texture
- May not be very long-lasting
Why We Picked the Lakme Absolute Blur Perfecting Primer?
The silky lightweight formula that glides on your skin like a dream and blends beautifully is what this primer gives you. It has an extremely light formula that doesn’t feel too heavy and helps your makeup last much longer. The subtle pink tint offers a radiant glow to your skin, leaving it all dewy and fresh!
2. Lotus Herbals
Lotus is a leading skincare and cosmetics brand based in India that combines Ayurveda with technology to create exceptional products. It was founded in 1993 and has its head office in New Delhi, India. Those who are particular about only using herbal products on their skin will love what Lotus has to offer.
Prominent Features of the Lotus Makeup Ecostay Insta Smooth Perfecting Primer:
- Features a gel-based weightless formula with a long staying power
- It is an oil-free mattifying primer enriched with Vitamin E
- Aside from readying your face for full makeup, this primer also evens out skin tone and reduces the appearance of acne and pores
- Suitable for all skin types
- Weighs 30 grams
- Doesn’t reduce pore size
Why We Picked the Lotus Makeup Ecostay Insta Smooth Perfecting Primer?
If you’re looking for an affordable yet super-efficient primer, the Lotus Primer is one you should definitely try! The lightweight gel formula is enriched with Vitamin E which acts as an amazon antioxidant and blends easily on the skin. It creates a smooth canvas for you to apply makeup with ease.
3. L’Oreal Paris
L’Oreal is one of the largest cosmetics and personal care companies in the world. It was founded in 1909 by Eugène Schueller and has its head office based in Clichy, Paris. The French cosmetics giant makes hair colours, makeup, perfumes, and sun protection products.
Prominent Features of the L’Oreal Base Magique Primer:
- With a non-greasy and lightweight formula, this primer creates an even surface for your makeup routine
- It absorbs excess oil and gives a matte finish while also infusing hydration into your skin
- Suitable for all skin types and hence can be used by those with oily skin without any worries
- Those who already suffer from skin problems like acne and pimples need a primer that will not further add to the problem and this primer is one of the best in the segment
- Has a mattifying effect on the skin
- Hydrating formula
- Mattifies skin for long-lasting makeup
- Makes skin super soft
- A bit pricey but worth the money
Why We Picked the L’Oreal Base Magique Primer?
Silky primer formula that glides easily and smoothes out any texture on the skin. The lightweight primer fills up your pores quickly and creates the perfect canvas for you to put on your makeup. If you have oily skin, it will be the best primer for you as it helps reduce sebum production.
4. Colorbar Cosmetics
Colorbar is a prominent cosmetics brand of Indian origin and is based out of New Delhi. It was founded in 2004 by Samir Modi and manufactures affordable-mid range makeup products. It is a cruelty-free brand.
Prominent Features of the Colorbar Flawless Finish Primer:
- Keeps your skin hydrated and fresh, and reduces the size of pores
- It is free from mineral oil and gives a smooth application
- Colorbar primers are paraben-free and do not contain alcohol
- Comes in a tube packaging
- Weighs 30 ml
- Mineral oil-free
- No alcohol
- No fragrance
- May not minimize pore size
Why We Picked the Colorbar Flawless Finish Primer?
This dermatologically-tested primer has a beautiful gel formula that smoothens texture, fine lines, and wrinkles to create the perfect base. It has a blend of silicone and glycerin that minimises your pores and keeps your skin hydrated throughout the day.
5. Blue Heaven
Blue Heaven is an affordable beauty brand that has been catering to Indian buyers for decades. It was founded in 1974 by Charanjit Singh and Gurnam Singh. It is now owned by Samara Capital.
Prominent Features of the Blue Heaven Flawless Makeup Base Primer:
- Has a wonderful pigment that is great for Indian skin tones
- This non-greasy primer comes with an oil-free formula that keeps your skin fresh, all day long
- They are also quite easy on the pockets
- Help with oil control when used on a regular basis
- Weighs 30 grams
- Weightless gel
- Has aloe extracts
- May cause dryness
Why We Picked the Blue Heaven Flawless Makeup Base Primer?
A lightweight silicone-based primer infused with aloe extracts that keeps your skin hydrated and offers a mattifying effect. It helps keep your makeup intact for hours and doesn’t cause any irritation on the skin. If you’re looking for a super affordable primer, Blue Heaven has great options!
Considering that it is a relatively new brand, Nykaa has tapped into its audience well. Its products are perfectly made for Indian skin and have gathered a loyal customer base in India today. The brand was founded by Falguni Nayar in 2012, and it has been growing rapidly ever since.
Prominent Features of the Nykaa Prep Me Up Primer:
- It has an extremely lightweight formula
- Infused with Vitamin E to keep your skin nourished
- The velvety, silky texture covers up pores to control oil secretion
- Comes in a tube packaging
- Weighs 30 grams
- Has Vitamin E
- May cause breakouts
Why We Picked the Nykaa Prep Me Up Primer?
A sensational matte primer that is made with a hydrating silicone-based formula. This product has a velvety formula that glides smoothly on your skin to minimise the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and pores. It is the number one choice for many makeup lovers across the nation today!
7. Maybelline New York
Maybelline is a prominent multinational cosmetics company based out of Manhattan, New York. It was founded in 1914 by Thomas Lyle Williams and is owned by L’Oreal.
Prominent Features of the Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte and Poreless Primer:
- Features a melting gel-cream texture that has a long staying power of 16 hours
- It renders a flawless matte look on the skin and is best suited for normal to oily skin
- This primer amps up your makeup by reducing pores and does a wonderful job of covering up as well, along with oil control
- Weighs 30 ml
- Has mattifying minerals
- Stays up to 16 hours
- Contains SPF 15
- May not be best for dry skin
Why We Picked the Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte and Poreless Primer?
Maybelline New York is a show stopper when it comes to affordable yet best makeup products. Their primers are used around the world by millions of women because of the perfect base they lend and the flawless skin they end up giving the users.
Clinique is a premium skincare, toiletries, and cosmetics brand that hails from America. It was founded in 1968 by Evelyn Lauder and is owned by the famous Estee Lauder Companies. The brand has headquarters in New York City now.
Prominent Features of the Clinique Superprimer Face Primer:
- It is a lightweight colour correcting primer
- It has a transparent, oil-free formula that works well for both combination and oily skin
- It glides effortlessly on the skin and ensures your makeup stays in place for long
- Although a bit expensive but are going to be worth all the splurge
- Weighs 30 ml
- Corrects uneven skin
Revlon is another brand superseding all benchmarks and making top-notch cosmetic products. It retails skincare, fragrance, and personal care products that lie in the affordable range and are very efficient. It was founded in 1932 by Joseph Revson, Charles Revson, and Charles Lachman.
Prominent Features of the Revlon Photo Ready Perfecting Primer:
- Formulated specifically to control oil secretion
- Has a long-lasting matte effect on the skin that stays throughout the day
- It contains photochromatic pigments that bend, reflect and diffuse light to minimise flaws and give your skin a bright glow
- Helps reduce the appearance of pores, wrinkles, and fine lines
- Comes in a bottle with a pump dispenser
- Weighs 27 ml
- Stunning matte effect
- Very lightweight
- Can be worn alone too
- A bit pricey
10. Wet n Wild
Wet n Wild is a reputed brand and has products for makeup enthusiasts from all walks of life. This brand is a pioneer in making vegan, cruelty-free products without any parabens.
Prominent Features of the Wet n Wild Photofocus Matte Primer:
- It features white sapphire crystals formulated into a silky smooth cream to give a radiant complexion
- This cream glides effortlessly to minimise the appearance of pores, mask signs of ageing, and make your skin foundation ready
- Lightweight formula that settles quickly
- Comes in a tube packaging and weighs 25 ml
- It may not suit dry skin
11. Swiss Beauty
Swiss Beauty is a relatively new brand that now competes with some of the biggest names in the cosmetics industry today. It was founded in 2008 and has its headquarters in New Delhi, India.
Prominent Features of the Swiss Beauty Real Makeup Base Highlighting Primer:
- Perfect oil-free, mattifying primer that contains pearl powder
- It features a silky, lightweight formula that will work wonders for you by minimising the appearance of pores and fine lines
- It helps smoothen out the surface of your skin, so your makeup looks perfect and stays on longer
- It is extremely lightweight and does not make your makeup look cakey, even when worn for long hours
- Comes in three different shades
- Matte finish
- May leave unwanted shimmer on your face
12. Sugar Cosmetics
Sugar Cosmetics is an Indian cosmetics company that has gathered a huge clientele within a very short span of time. It was founded in 2015 by Vineeta Singh and has become a sensation in the Indian beauty segment today. Check Best Sugar Cosmetics Cashback Coupons
Prominent Features of the Sugar Cosmetics Base of Glory Pore Minimizing Primer:
- Smooth gel formula that mattifies your skin and keeps you oil-free all day long
- It helps smoothen your skin by evening out the tone, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and lends a soft-focus finish
- Features a no-block no-clog formula for a smooth base
- Comes in a sleek tube packaging
- Mineral oil-free
- No preservatives
- May not be easily available in stores
13. Faces Canada
A leading beauty brand with a heritage of about 40 years, Faces Canada entered the Indian market in 2009. Their products are designed to cater to every skin type, texture, tone and ethnicity. Their unique range of cruelty-free and hypoallergenic products is quite the rage in the beauty industry.
Prominent Features of the Faces Ultime Pro Perfecting Primer:
- It boasts a smooth velvety formula and glides easily
- It feels like a second skin and gives a tinted matte finish by absorbing excess oil from the skin
- Has a lightweight texture with shimmer particles for a beautiful glow
- Has a bit of tint to even out your skin tone
- Comes in a tube and weighs 30 ml
- Removes excess oil
- Soft velvety formula
- May cause irritation on sensitive skin
Insight Cosmetics is a global brand with more than 31 years of experience in the cosmetic industry. Their products are high-quality, FDA approved and ISO 9001:2015 certified. If that’s not all, these wonderful products are very reasonably priced.
Prominent Features of the INSIGHT 3 in 1 Primer:
- The product brings together the best of skincare and makeup for your oily skin
- Its oil-free formula doubles down as a moisturiser and makeup base
- This lightweight gel blurs out fine lines and smoothens out pores and wrinkles to give you the perfect base for your makeup
- Waterproof formula that ensures your makeup lasts long
- Weighs 30 ml
- It is free from alcohol, sulphates, parabens
- No artificial fragrances and additive dye
- Safe for sensitive skin
- May cause breakouts
Oriflame is a Swedish beauty brand that has been in the industry for the last 50 years, standing the test of time. They have made sure to deliver trendy, high quality and safe products for all the makeup freaks out there.
Prominent Features of the Oriflame One Pore Minimising Primer:
- It nullifies oil production and instantly masks pores
- Its matte finish lasts for up to 7 hours on the skin without stripping any moisture
- It has a non-sticky texture and is suitable for all skin types
- Comes in a tube and weighs 20 ml
- Pleasant fragrance
- Evens skin tone and tones down texture quickly
- Makes the makeup last long
- May not close pores as expected
Face Primers are a must-have, especially for people with oily skin to help their makeup last longer. To ensure that you can flaunt your favourite makeup looks without worrying about regular touch-ups, we have listed some of the most reliable primers available in India. Our top favourites have to be the ones from Maybelline and Colorbar but you’re free to choose from the list we have curated for you!
1. What primer is good for oily skin?
When looking for primers for oily skin, go for oil-free mattifying formulas that absorb the excess oil and give your skin a flawless look. You can choose from Maybelline, Lakme, Clinique, and Lotus Herbals as per your budget.
2. Does primer help oily skin?
A primer sets the tone of your makeup by providing a smooth base. It helps absorb excess oil in oily skin and gives a matte finish that prevents the foundation and other makeup ingredients from dissolving into the sebum and slipping away.
3. What is the best primer for acne and oily skin?
The Lotus Makeup Ecostay Insta Smooth Perfecting Primer is one of the best ones for oily skin. It features a gel-based weightless formula with a long staying power. It is an oil-free mattifying primer enriched with Vitamin E. Aside from readying your face for full makeup, this primer also evens out skin tone and reduces the appearance of acne and pores when blended properly.
4. How can I control my oily face with makeup?
Wearing makeup on an oily face can be a real hassle. We have come up with some tricks to help you get by:
- Apply an oil-free primer before starting with your makeup routine
- Do not apply heaps of powder. Keep it in control.
- Always carry blotting papers and just press them gently on your face when you feel the oil. Avoid rubbing it.
5. How do I choose a primer?
Choosing a primer depends on your skin type.
- For dry skin, choose a hydrating primer or those with a silky smooth formula.
- For oily skin, choose a primer that is free from oil, and gives a matte finish.
- For normal and combination skin types, you can use a mix of primers and apply on the desired parts as required
- If your skin has wrinkles and fine lines, choose a pore minimising primer.
Why Trust CashKaro Reviews?
We have a team of category-specific researchers who follow stringent steps to avoid mentioning any less than worthy products in our blogs. At CashKaro, we believe in putting forth the most reliable information that’s best for our readers.