Ayurveda and traditional blends have always been a popular choice for many for the remedying numerous health problems. One of the most potent spices used in Ayurveda for ages is saffron. It is a one-of-a-kind spice that we use for multiple purposes as an aromatic agent to a beautifying ingredient. But when you plan to buy saffron from the market, you must opt for a brand that offers a genuine and authentic product. For making a smart choice, navigate through our list of the best quality saffron-producing brands in India.
Our Top Picks:
Types of Saffron
Saffron is cultivated in various parts of the world, and different types of saffron are known for their distinct characteristics and quality. Here, we have discussed some of the most popular saffron available.
Bunch Saffron is a type of saffron where the red and yellow parts are found together in a single strand. It consists of approximately 30% red part and 70% yellow part. The saffron is whole, and the stigmas of the three saffron branches are not separated from the white part (also known as the saffron cream).
Among all Persian saffron kinds, Poshal saffron is the most affordable. The style (the term for this component of the flower) only comprises the yellow and orange base of the stigma. This variety has very little saffron, and neither its medicinal nor culinary effects are very noteworthy.
Sargol Saffron is one of the most widely used and common types of saffron that is familiar to consumers. It is graded and priced based on factors such as the thickness and fineness of the stigmas, as well as whether they are broken or not. Most often, sargol is used in cooking because of its colour. It has a wonderful scent as well, making it perfect for culinary purposes.
Negin Saffron is known for its beautiful colour, shape, and aroma. It has three smooth and unbroken strands of stigmas that are connected to each other. Due to its beautiful appearance, Negin saffron is considered to be more expensive than Sargol saffron.
Kashmiri saffron is grown in the Kashmir valley in India, and it is known for its distinct aroma and flavour. It is characterised by its dark maroon threads and is often considered to be one of the best-quality saffron varieties in the world. Kashmiri saffron is known for its intense aroma, slightly bitter taste, and rich colouring properties. This makes it highly prized in culinary and medicinal applications.
List of the Top 12 Saffron Brands in India
Lion Saffron originated in the year 1957 in Kashmir. It is one of the oldest saffron producers which handpicks some of the best variations of saffron in the world. It is the best saffron brand in India for luxurious saffron gift boxes with exquisite packaging. The company grows the best species of saffron in Jammu and Kishtwar and caters to consumers after several rounds of lab tests.
|Price||Rs 320 to Rs 800|
|Types||Laccha Saffron, Mongra Kesar|
Notable Features of Lion Saffron:
- Lion Saffron manufactures red Kashmiri saffron, which has several health benefits.
- It boosts immunity and keeps your digestive system calm and going.
- It has several antioxidants good for pregnant women and the baby in their womb.
- Mongra Kesar and Lacha Saffron are the most popular saffron varieties of the brand Lion Saffron.
- Different varieties available
- Available in various price ranges
- A+++ and A++ graded variants only
Why We Picked Lion Saffron?
Lion Saffron is the best Kashmiri saffron brand in India that keeps no stone unturned to cultivate the purest forms of saffron in the laps of Kashmiri valleys. Plus, the company makes meticulous efforts to purify the saffron strands and bring the best to consumers.
Upakarma Ayurveda is a unique brand that offers herbal products. It explores different forms of saffron and makes skincare and beverage products. Through meticulous research, the brand has developed different products like tea, resin, and pure shilajit capsules. It also makes health capsules like neem, giloy, and turmeric capsules, besides producing pure saffron.
|Price||Rs 250 to Rs 660|
|Types||Pure Kashmiri Saffron, Pure Afghani Saffron|
|Feature||Free From Preservatives|
Notable Features of Upakarma:
- The brand primarily cultivates Afghani and Kashmiri saffron.
- The Kashmiri kesar helps improve your skin texture and brightens it to impart a natural glow.
- It also deals with skin imperfections and heals them with the essential antioxidants in it.
- It can be used in food as a flavouring agent to enhance the aroma of any dish.
- 100% vegetarian
- GMP certified
- ISO certified
- Comes in handy packaging
- Available in different variations
- Little pricey
Why We Picked Upakarma?
Upakarma handpicks each stigma of saffron to assure no damage to the saffron threads. It also makes sure each of them goes through rigorous testing and quality checks.
House of Saffron
House of Saffron is an eminent name in the saffron business. Fine artisans of Kashmir handpick each strand to maintain purity. The company produces various types of saffron to cater to different people’s requirements.
|Price||Rs 475 to Rs 1,700|
|Types||Kashmiri Saffron, Mogra Kesar, Negin Saffron, Saffron Powder|
|Diet Type||Vegetarian, Non Vegetarian|
Notable Features of House of Saffron:
- It cultivates premium ranges of saffron like diamond, gold, and platinum according to ISO standards.
- It is one of the best quality saffron brands in India for pregnant women. Its assured quality makes it suitable for pregnant and gestating women to build immunity and remain healthy.
- The saffron ranges of this brand are alluringly fragrant for use in preparations like biryani and kulfi.
- A1+++ ISO graded variations available
- Available in strand and powder form
- All vegetarian variants
Why We Picked House of Saffron?
House of Saffron is among our best picks as it sustainably sources saffron from Pampore, Kashmir. Each strand is immensely effective in restoring immunity and building strength on a cellular level.
Dry Fruit Hub
Dry Fruits Hub is a popular brand which aims to provide healthy snacks and food for its consumers. The brand is quite popular in India, and it keeps the traditional flavours of India alive through its delicious and authentic products.
|Price||Rs 200 to Rs 430|
Notable Features of Haldiram’s:
- Its saffron is plucked with perfection from the Kashmiri valleys to provide the best quality saffron
- The saffron enhances digestion, thus uplifting your mood and immunity
- The saffron has a vibrant colour that entices your vision and satiates your taste buds
- It is suitable for boosting your health and can be used regularly.
- Vegetarian products
- ISO certified
- Comes in a beautiful wooden gift box
Why We Picked Haldiram’s?
The saffron cultivated by this Dry Fruits Hub is free from any allergens, preservatives, and gluten. It has a rich flavour providing you with a delectable experience.
Everest is a household name in the spice industry with a broad portfolio. It has a place in the heart of thousands of Indians for its purity and guarantee of quality. Each spice from this brand can intoxicate your taste buds and tantalise your senses. The pioneer of spices ensures you have a memorable culinary experience.
|Price||Rs 285 to Rs 3,400|
Notable Features of Everest:
- This brand is one of the best pure saffron brands in India that adds an enriching touch to every dish it goes into.
- Saffron stigma is handpicked from the best flowers of the season to infuse the best of flavours.
- It accentuates Mughlai dishes like pulao, biryani, and korma.
- No added preservatives
- Hygienically packed
- Sourced from the best farms
Why We Picked Everest?
Everest is chosen to be among the best brands of saffron in India as it is driven by quality and not quantity. The strands of saffron are carefully plucked from the flowers to retain their richness and effectiveness.
Keynote is an international brand that produces export-grade products like honey and saffron. Its mission is to spread the goodness of its products sourced from exclusive farms in India and abroad. Gulkand, cocoa powder, cocoa butter, and kokum syrup are some of its offerings to its customers.
|Price||Rs 595 to Rs 1250|
|Feature||No Artificial Flavors|
Notable Features of Keynote:
- Keynote is among the best saffron brands in India that manufacture saffron by flash drying each strand to provide the best-graded saffron of optimal length and depth of colour.
- Each package is vacuum-packed in airtight glass jars to reach the customers at its highest potential.
- It sells the mongra variant of saffron.
- The saffron produced by Keynote has a phytosanitary clearance ensuring the best is served to you.
- No chemicals added
- Instants acting saffron strands
- Certified by NABL
- Laboratory tested
- 100% vegetarian
Baby Brand Saffron
Baby Brand saffron has a legacy of over 50 years in producing 100% pure saffron strands. The brand is all about saffron and has been a family-run business for generations. It presently has a fully-automated factory in Neemrana, India, to process saffron and proffer the best quality saffron to India.
|Price||Rs 250 to Rs 2,000|
Notable Features of Baby Brand Saffron:
- The saffron cultivated and manufactured by Baby Brand Saffron is handpicked and processed with utmost care.
- Saffron is an immunity booster that empowers cellular activity and improves overall health.
- It brightens the skin and improves skin tone and texture through its antioxidants.
- Export quality saffron
- Hygienically packed
- Produces finest quality saffron
- Value for money brand
Vedaka is a brand launched by the e-commerce site Amazon. It manufactures dry fruits and groceries of premium quality. It also produces different types of teas suiting the taste pallets of different populations.
|Price||Rs 299 to Rs 1,199|
Notable Features of Vedaka:
- It produces 100% authentic saffron threads which have no adulteration.
- It is a versatile product of the brand that can be used as a flavouring agent, colourant, or even in skincare home mixes.
- It takes only a few seconds to infuse in any mixture to extract its aroma.
- It is sourced from a single origin point to ensure the same quality each time.
- 100% vegetarian
- Laboratory tested
- Comes in premium packaging
Healofy Naturals is a skincare and nutritional expert that crafts products with natural ingredients, specifically for mothers and children. The brand takes 360-degree care of the body through its wide product range comprising personal care, pregnancy care, baby care, and nutrition care products.
|Price||Rs 499 to Rs 999|
Notable Features of Healofy Naturals:
- This saffron is specially manufactured for the nutritional care of mothers and their foetuses.
- It is one of the best organic saffron brands in India as it is directly sourced from organic farms.
- By having Healofy saffron, pregnant women can wave off mood swings as it optimises the release of serotonin that modulates mood and improves the quality of sleep.
- The saffron is good for cramp relief and supports healthy digestion.
- A++ graded pure saffron
- Doctor’s approved
- ISO certified
You can explore a vast range of hair care and skin care products offered by Truthsome. It makes every blend without any harsh chemicals and toxins. The company is also popular for its fine-quality saffron.
|Price||Rs 480 to Rs 950|
|Feature||Suitable for Pregrant Women|
Notable Features of Truthsome:
- Truthsome is one of the best brands producing saffron that packs each saffron strand with delicate hands.
- This saffron has the power of multiple antioxidants that deal with free radicals, help brighten your skin, and reduce blemishes.
- It is a good digestion improver and helps with menstrual cramps.
- Pregnant women can have it daily to control mood swings and strengthen the baby’s bones.
- Fights carcinogenic free-radicals
- A+++ graded saffron producer
Consumers across the globe love saffron produced by the brand Surkh. The brand brings you the best and finest quality of the most exotic saffron. Surkh is synonymous with deep red, and so is the saffron produced by this brand.
|Price||Rs 300 to Rs 1,990|
Notable Features of Surkh:
- Surkh saffron has natural antioxidants that benefit both women and men.
- You can use this saffron for cooking aromatic dishes, as a nutritional supplement, and for skin care.
- It is good for memory retention.
- Saffron produced by Surkh is a fine agent for weight loss if consumed regularly.
- ISO grade 1 tested
- FSSAI certified
- Easy on wallet
- 100% vegetarian
Vedapure explores the bounty of nature and churns out 5000-year-old secrets of Ayurveda. It deals with products from different arrays to help people lead a healthy life. The enormous product range includes shilajit resin, saffron, tea, Ayurvedic juices, and immunity boosters.
|Price||Rs 300 to Rs 1,300|
Notable Features of Vedapure:
- Vedapure picks its saffron from the Herat province of Kashmir, where the climate and soil are perfect for growing saffron flowers.
- The harvested saffron is all-red, as high-quality saffron should be.
- The harvested saffron is naturally dried to ensure better shelf-life and potency.
- A++ graded saffron
- Little pricey
How to Check Saffron’s Purity?
Saffron is widely used in culinary, medicinal, and cosmetic applications due to its distinct flavour, aroma, and vibrant colour. However, it is often adulterated with lower-quality or counterfeit products. Therefore, it is important to know how to check saffron’s purity to ensure you are getting authentic saffron. To help you out, here are some tips to help you determine the purity of saffron.
Use your fingers to sift the saffron strands
Take a few saffron threads and place them on your finger after letting them soak in cold water for a few minutes. With two fingers, rub the threads a few times back and forth. Pure saffron threads won’t disintegrate. However, fake saffron will crumble.
Cold water test
Fill up a glass with cold water and place a few saffron threads on top of it. Both pure and changed saffron will partially release their colours into the water.
Pure saffron will release fewer colours more gradually. If the saffron is pure, you’ll see that the threads gradually take on a golden tint. The water in the cup may not become totally yellow for 10 to 15 minutes.
On the other hand, if the water is deeply coloured, it is likely that the saffron is adulterated. Since this product probably includes harmful colouring chemicals, we advise you to avoid using it at all.
Another thing to keep in mind is that pure saffron threads will maintain their colour. However, adulterated ones will quickly turn white.
Use baking soda
In a small cup with water, mix the saffron and baking soda. If the final combination turns out to be yellow, you are looking at pure saffron.
All the saffron brands added to the list are known for their quality and integrity. Some produce different variants of saffron, while others offer a single variant. As per the customer reviews, we found Lion Saffron and Upakarma to be the most liked and reviewed brands, but that does not mean the other brands fall behind. Each one of them has curated methodologies to offer saffron of the best kind and process them retaining its benefits. So, go through our list of the best saffron brands in India and select the one you like. Whichever you pick, you will receive quality saffron.
Which grade of saffron is best?
Grade 1 or A+ saffron is the best. It contains only the red stigmas of the flower.
Which is the purest saffron?
Super Negin Saffron is the purest saffron in the world. It comes from regions of Afghanistan and Iran and is extremely labor intensive to harvest.
Which Kashmiri saffron brand is best?
Our top three brands for the best Kashmiri saffron are Lion Saffron, Upakarma, and House of Saffron.
Is Turkish saffron good?
Yes, Turkish saffron is good. The Grade of the saffron determines the quality of saffron from any place.
How can we identify pure saffron?
There are several ways to determine pure saffron.
1. You can check the threads of the saffron; real saffron has a trumpet-like shape, bulging on one end.
2. You can also rub a few strands between your fingers or in a mix of water and baking soda. Pure saffron will give a yellowish-golden hue, and a fake one will give a crimson shade.
3. The taste of pure saffron is also slightly bitter rather than completely sweet.
4. Pure saffron retains its red colour and takes some time, about 10-15 minutes or even more, to release its colour in water.
Does saffron expire?
Saffron usually does not expire but loses its strength over time if not preserved properly. Exposure to temperature, light, and oxygen can make it less potent, destroying its aroma and flavour.
How much does pure saffron cost?
1kg of saffron can cost you more than a good couple of lakhs.
Why Trust CashKaro Reviews?
At CashKaro, accuracy is critical while reviewing any product or brand. While making the list of best saffron brands, the same was followed. Every brand featured on the list is well-studied by experts. Only the brands with the best features and good customer reviews have been selected.
*Prices are subject to change