Table of Contents
A herb with small pods that contain tiny brown seeds, Fenugreek has been used in traditional medicine since ancient times due to its antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic and anti-tumor properties. The leaves and seeds of this herb have been used ever since to cure various ailments. Traditionally, fenugreek seeds have been used as a condiment in Indian and other Asian cuisines. Known to promote better health, Fenugreek is used as a potent hair potion. Modern science is now beginning to find evidence of its healing properties, including hair growth.
Benefits of using fenugreek on hair:
1.Enhances Hair Growth
Fenugreek seeds have a rich concentration of vitamins, nutrients and other prime elements that are essential for hair follicles to remain healthy. Researchers have shed light on the fact that fenugreek seeds are able to enhance the growth and overall health of hair follicles.
2. Darkens grey hair
Fenugreek combats the elements that promote grey hair. Preventing premature graying of hair, Fenugreek gives your hair a shiny and bouncy texture.
3. Has detangling properties
The tiny fenugreek seeds are known for their detangling properties promoting frizz free, shiny and soft hair.
4. Repairs damaged hair
Fenugreek seeds are known to repair the cuticles of damaged hair, making them frizz-free and smooth. Fenugreek seeds mixed with coconut oil works best to repair damaged hair.
5. Removes dandruff
Dandruff attacks on the scalp damaging the hair follicles, making them rough and limp. Fenugreek acts as a moisturizer for the hair follicles and makes them smooth and manageable.
6. Prevents scalp infections
Scalp infections are one of the major causes of hair loss. Fenugreek has been used to cure hair loss and balding as it is antimicrobial and antibacterial in nature. It thereby boosts hair growth and prevents hair breakage.
7. Prevents itchy scalp
Fenugreek cures a dry and itchy scalp, removing any dirt, dandruff and dead skin from the scalp thus facilitating smooth and frizz free hair.
8. For intensive hair growth
Fenugreek not only prevents hair breakage but also promotes the growth of dormant hair follicles. It also makes the hair look shinier and bouncier as it provides volume to limp and lifeless hair. One can see the results within a month of using fenugreek as a remedy to promote hair growth.
Ways to Use Fenugreek for Hair Growth
- Soak 1 cup of fenugreek seeds overnight. Strain the liquid and mix curry leaves to the seeds in equal measure. Blend it to a fine paste and apply on the hair. Leave it on for 20 minutes. Then rise off with cool water.
- Add 2 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds to 1 cup of water. Let it soak for at least 12 hours. Strain the concoction and pour it in a spray bottle. Use it as a hair spritz. It will detangle the hair strands in no time.
- Blend fenugreek seeds and coconut in the ratio 1:2. Apply the mixture on your hair from the scalp to the tip. Leave it on for at least 2 hours before rinsing it off with a mild shampoo and cool water.
- Mix fenugreek seeds with filtered water and soak overnight. Strain the liquid and mix the seeds with curd in the ratio ½: 1 in the morning and blend to a fine paste. Apply the mixture to the hair for an hour. Rinse it off with cool water and shampoo.
- Mix 2 tablespoonful of fenugreek powder to 1 beaten egg. Apply to the scalp to get rid of dry and itchy scalp.
Fenugreek can turn a bad hair day into a good one in the blink of an eye. With regular use, the hair feels soft, voluminous and lustrous.
According to Nasroallah Moradi Kor and Kolsum Moradi Fenugreek can help prevent hair loss due to its high protein content apart from combating dandruff and parasites such as lice.
- People who are allergic to soya beans, peanuts and green peas should refrain from consuming fenugreek as all of these ingredients hails from the same family.
While these seeds are considered safe for breastfeeding mothers, pregnant women should refrain from excessive consumption of fenugreek seeds.