A scanner is a device that can scan images, printed text, and other documents and convert them into digital images. Commonly used scanners in offices are flatbed scanners and hand-held scanners. Scanners have come of age today and employ a charge-coupled device (CCD) or a contact image sensor (CIS). Let’s delve into the most common types of scanners available today. Also check out, the best scanner brands & printers for home use in India.
Our Top Picks
How Do We Choose the Best Scanners for You?
Buying a scanner for the first time can be a little confusing, especially when you do it online. The key is to be aware of your needs and budget beforehand to make the right purchase. In India, you can find a good quality scanner ranging from Rs 3,099 to Rs 59,999, depending on your requirements. Here are some basic factors to take care of when choosing a scanner:
Every type of scanner serves a different purpose so you should be aware of your need beforehand. Some common types of scanners are flatbed, sheetfed, negative, iris, barcode, and fingerprint scanners.
Performance matters a lot when it comes to electronics. You can check that by considering how many pages the scanner can convert per minute if it has at least 200dpi to 660dpi of resolution if it has colour scanning or only black and white.
List of the Top 8 Types of Scanners in India
Flatbed scanners have a flip-up cover to protect the glass. They are ideal to scan items like books. Legal, standard A4-size documents can easily fit in. Canon and Epson produce the best scanners.
Epson is one of the most prominent electronic companies in the world today. It manufactures top-notch digital imaging equipment such as printers, scanners, and projectors. The brand was founded in 1942 by Hisao Yamazaki and has its headquarters in Sawa, Nagano, Japan.
Prominent Features of the Epson Perfection V39 Scanner:
- Features a dynamic 4800 x 4800 dpi scanning
- The scanner is USB-powered
- Has a detachable lid
- Offers quick and easy photo scan
- Dimensions – 24.9 x 36.4 x 3.9 cm
- It runs on 2.5 watts of power
- Excellent picture quality
- Lightweight body
- No power is required, runs using a USB
- Might stop working after a while
Why We Picked the Epson Perfection V39 Scanner?
If you are looking for a flatbed scanner, the Epson Perfection V39 scanner will do the job. It features a detachable lid and can be powered with a USB port. Additionally, the Epson Easy Photo Fix software enhances the quality of your scans by removing dust, restoring faded colours, and correcting the backlight. Its lightweight design saves space.
Also known as document scanners, Sheetfed scanners have an automatic document feeder. They are light on the desktop. They are ideal for scanning documents, photos, and other materials with precision. Multiple sheets can be fed at once into the feeder and multiple documents can be scanned in a go.
HP is another leading brand when it comes to electronics and computer software/hardware. The company makes some of the most reliable computers and laptops that are loved by millions in India. The company was founded in 1939 by Bill Hewlett and David Packard and has its head office in Palo Alto, California.
Prominent Features of the HP Sheet-Feed Desktop Scanner:
- Powerful handheld scanner which is user-friendly
- Comes with a USB cable and a power cord adaptor
- Can scan up to 30 pages/minute
- Features Auto-off technology
- Dimensions – 17.3 x 30 x 15.2 cms
- Lightweight device
- Can easily scan darker images
- Might take some time to install
Why We picked the HP Sheet-Feed Desktop Scanner?
HP offers an amazing range of Sheetfed Scanners. HP sheetfed L2759A scanners boast a 50-page document feeder and can scan up to 2000 pages a day. It is energy certified and can optimise, enhance, and fix image quality.
As the name suggests, these highly functional scanners let you scan negatives and films. They are integrated with adapters and placeholders that let you scan negatives and films of different sizes.
If you love photography, you have surely heard the name Kodak. The brand is widely popular for its top-quality cameras that are used by amateurs and professionals. Eastman Kodak Company was founded in 1892 by George Eastman and Henry A. Strong and has its head office in Rochester, New York, US.
Prominent Features of the Kodak Digital Film Scanner:
- Can convert 35mm, 126mm, 110mm, Super 8 and 8mm film
- Features a 3.5 tilt-up LED
- Can convert negatives, slides, and photos
- Has a TV output, HDMI output, USB output, SD Card
- Dimensions – 12 x 12 x 12.7 cm
- Value for money
- Compact and lightweight
- Build quality isn’t that great
Why We Picked the Kodak Digital Film Scanner?
The Kodak digital film and negative scanner is a real find when it comes to negative scanners. While it cannot scan any raw films and images, it is a great pick if you develop photos from negatives. It features a large 3.5” LCD Screen that can be tilted as per convenience.
The 14-megapixel sensor captures images in stunning HD clarity. It comes with a set of adapters that allows you to scan from multiple films and negatives. It can be connected directly to an external device to view images and slideshows.
Iris Scanners are a form of advanced biometric identification that is extensively used to authenticate identity with zero error rates. The light rays capture images of your iris which are then digitized and stored for identification. This method is extensively used in Aadhaar authentication in government schemes including Ayushman Bharat Yojana, and others.
Mantra Softech is one of the most reliable biometric, computer software, and hardware brands in India. It has a huge customer base in India and has its head office in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
Prominent Features of the Mantra MIS100 IRIS Scanner:
- Portable iris scanner which can be used for multiple purposes
- Can be used for Aadhaar Authentication, Banking Applications and Access Control Applications
- Has built-in LED indicators
- Offers high-resolution images
- Easy to use
- USB connectivity
- Maybe a little tricky to install
Why We Picked the Mantra MIS Single IRIS Scanner?
If you have been on the lookout for Iris scanners, the Mantra MIS100 IRIS Scanner can come to your rescue. The MIS100 algorithm can easily identify poor IRIS images, and provides faster scanning. It is a USB-powered device that delivers outstanding performance without any hassle.
Handheld Portable Scanners
They are small scanners, easily transferable from one place to another, and are versatile and handy devices. These mobile scanning solutions let you scan, save and send important documents, plastic ID cards, magazines, newsletters, etc.
The Microware iScan handheld scanner is one such portable scanner that is a lightweight device. The brand manufactures audio, tech, video, computer, and laptop accessories. It was founded in 2008 and has its head office in Mumbai.
Prominent Features of the Microware iScan Handheld Portable Scanner:
- It has 3 different modes of resolution with variable scanning speeds
- It supports up to 32 GB memory card and is powered by a USB
- This portable scanner is packed with OCR software
- It is integrated with correction tools that allow you to automatically auto-size documents, boost text quality, eliminate image skew, and also remove punch holes from scanned images
- High-resolution images
- Easy to carry
- Compact and lightweight design
Barcode scanners are the most widely used scanners that decode the data embedded in a barcode. This is one of the best ways to keep track of inventory, fasten the pace of workflow, manage products and logistics, and inadvertently boost your business.
iBall is one of the largest computer and electronic accessories brands in India. It was founded in 2001 by Sandeep Parasrampuria and has its headquarters in Mumbai. The brand majorly retails speakers, peripherals, smartphones, and tablets.
Prominent Features of iBall WBS-650MV Wireless Barcode Scanner:
- If you are looking to buy a barcode scanner for your business, the iBall WBS650 MV barcode scanner is one of a kind
- It comes with a high-intensity working distance of up to 100 m to deliver efficiency, reliability, and convenience at its best
- It features a distinct ergonomic design
- It runs on 2.4 GHz wireless technology, making it one of the best barcode scanners for both retail and warehouse applications
- Requires 1 A battery to function
- High-performance laser scanner
- Quick decoding
- Can store up to 65000 barcodes
- Reading speed may be a little slow
A fingerprint scanner is a nifty little scanner that is used across businesses, offices, and organizations for identity authentication. These fingerprint trackers allow easy access to devices and applications with a single tap. One of the best fingerprint scanners on the market is produced by REALTIME.
Prominent Features of the REALTIME FM220U Fingerprint Reader:
- Made of durable and premium quality plastic
- It is a registered fingerprint device
- It allows easy identification without any hassles of forgetting a password, or identity card
- Features USB connectivity
- Dimensions – 14 x 7.4 x 5 cm
- Easy to install
Specially curated to scan books, a book scanner is one of the ways to convert a physical copy into an electronic version. Book scanners have a special placeholder for a book and are meant to scan the pages in a very good resolution such that the text is readable. These special scanners do not require any setting other than manual flipping of the pages, although some brands have introduced smarter versions.
CZUR is a popular IT company that was founded in 2013 and has a widespread business in Asia. The company majorly retails scanners and has its head office in Shenzhen, Guangdong.
Prominent Features of the CZUR Aura X-P Scanner:
- Designed with a patented flatten curve technology that cuts back on the curve automatically
- It has 4 colour modes with 6 different brightness levels to steer clear of eye fatigue
- It can run up to 100 minutes without any external power source
- It is powered by ABBYY and can OCR more than 180 languages and convert text into word, pdf, excel, etc
- Compatible with Mac and Windows
- USB connectivity
- Might be a little difficult to assemble
Scanners are used to decode and translate documents/codes into a digital format. In this article, we have listed the most common types of scanners on the basis of their performance, types, technology, etc. While our personal favourites are from HP and iBall, you can check out all the other options to find one that fits your need.
1. What is the best scanner on the market?
When it comes to the best scanners Canon Cano Scan LIDO 300 is just what you want. It has a 2400 DPI resolution that delivers high-quality scans for both text, documents, and images. Being a flatbed scanner, it can be used for multiple purposes.
2. Which scanner is fast reliable user friendly?
The most reliable and user-friendly scanner is the Fujitsu ScanSnap iX1600. Built for homes, and offices, this scanner is easy to use and packed with impressive features at a good price point.
3. Which is the most efficient and expensive scanner?
Kodak’s i4850 teams efficiency with excellent image quality and features in an exorbitantly priced scanner. This heavy-duty scanner can churn up to 150,000 scans per day with up to 500 sheets at a time. It works on a perfect page processing technology that delivers high-quality images up to 600DPI even if images are not perfect. This scanner is highly efficient and is valued at Rs 3.25 lakhs.
4. What should I look for when buying a scanner?
When buying a scanner checking a few boxes makes all the difference in your purchase.
- What kind of scanner do you want – if you are looking to scan documents, books, images, or negatives. If you want to scan in bulk, go for a sheetfed scanner and so on.
- Speed – Get yourself a heavy-duty scanner for office and business use and a simple flatbed scanner for home use and other purposes.
- Paper Size – Check the paper and document compatibility before buying a scanner.
- Resolution – To get high-quality scans choose a scanner that works on a high resolution especially if you have to scan photos.
- Connectivity – Most scanners are WIFI compatible and powered by USB, to make file transfer an easy task.
5. What is the fastest scanner for home?
With a compact design and lightweight body, the Epson Perfection V 39, is the best choice for heavy-duty work for home use. Its 4800X4800 dpi scanning and Photo Fix Software make sure your scans are of exceptional quality. Moreover, it is a value-for-money product to capture documents, pictures, and images right in the comfort of your home.
Why Trust CashKaro Reviews?
We have a team of category-specific researchers who try and test several products before adding them to these lists. For the scanner blog, we considered factors such as performance, type, resolution, and purpose. Our inclusion process is quite stringent so you will never find a shady product here.