Let’s face it, sunscreens are complicated, and we often use the wrong product on our skin. Today, there are various sunscreens available in the market, making it difficult for you to choose the most suitable one. Especially if you have oily skin, you can have a hard time figuring out the right skincare for you. People with oily skin feel very uncomfortable applying regular sunscreens as they can add to the greasiness even more.
Not wearing sunscreen can impact you adversely by resulting in dullness, tanning, hyperpigmentation, and can even cause skin cancer. Fortunately, many brands have now started producing mattifying sunscreens for oily skin. Here are some of the best sunscreen brands for oily skin that you should definitely check out.
How Do We Choose the Best Sunscreen for You?
Using the wrong sunscreen on oily skin can cause breakouts and make your skin look dull all the time. If you’re someone who doesn’t know what’s the best sunscreen for you, we will help you solve that riddle today. In India, you can buy top quality sunscreens ranging from Rs 170 to Rs 799. Here are a few factors that you must consider before buying sunscreen for oily skin.
Sun Protection Factor is the top-most important factor to check when buying sunscreen. The higher the SPF, the longer you will be protected from damaging UV rays. Ideally, you should go for a product with at least SPF 50++ UVA/UVB protection to ensure that your skin is shielded from sunlight for 5-6 hours. You should also keep reapplying the product after every few hours for full-proof protection.
Buying greasy formulas is never a good idea when it comes to oily skin. You should always go for lightweight, non-oily, and non-comedogenic products that protect your skin without clogging your pores. Choose mattifying, gel, or spray formulas that don’t feel too heavy and allow your skin to breathe properly.
You can also look for a sunscreen that acts as a moisturizer and sunscreen altogether. The lesser layers on your skin, the smoother it will appear so you can try doing that. Many sunscreens have antioxidants, vitamins, and natural ingredients that may help in controlling sebum production as well. No matter which product you choose, make sure to use it on a daily basis as it will keep your skin looking youthful in the long run.
All the products enlisted below are made with thorough research and after looking at customer reviews online, so you can trust them without any doubts. Also check this list of sunscreen lotions for normal skin in India.
|Our Top Picks||Best Prices on Amazon|
|Lotus Herbals||Check Prices|
|La Shield||Check Prices|
List of the 15 Top Sunscreen Brands for Oily Skin
On this page:
- 1. Lakme
- 2. SkinKraft
- 3. Neutrogena
- 4. Lotus Organics
- 5. La Shield
- 6. Best Biotique Bio sunscreen
- 7. O3+
- 8. IPCA
- 9. Himalaya
- 10. VLCC
- 11. Mamaearth
- 12. Re’equil
- 13. Plum
- 14. Aroma Magic
- 15. Lacto Calamine
- 1. How to choose sunscreen for oily skin?
- 2. How much SPF is good for oily skin?
- 3. What is the best sunscreen for oily skin?
- 4. Can I skip moisturizer and use sunscreen?
Lakme is one of the most popular brands when it comes to skincare and cosmetics in India. It was established in 1952 by JRD Tata and Simone Tata. The company has its headquarters in Mumbai and operates in India and Nepal today.
- Prominent Features of the Lakme Sun Expert UltraMatte Gel Sunscreen:
- It is one of the best everyday sunscreens out there
- It has a lightweight gel formula that deeply penetrates the skin and absorbs within a minute
- Designed with SPF 50 PA+++, this sunscreen offers you adequate protection from harmful sun rays and makes your skin look fresh
- As it has a light gel consistency, you’ll never have to worry about unwanted grease, oil, or white cast on your skin
- Lightweight formula
- Gel consistency
- May leave a white cast on the skin after a few hours of application
- Why We Picked the Lakme Sun Expert UltraMatte Gel Sunscreen?
Lakme has been producing some of the best sunscreen formulas for Indian skin for decades and it is a numero uno choice amongst millions today. This particular product has a lightweight and quick-absorbing gel formula that doesn’t clog up oily skin and makes you look fresh all day long. If you’re looking for affordable yet highly effective sunscreen, this should be your go-to choice.
SkinKraft has made its mark in the Indian skincare industry with its customized product that caters to multiple skin concerns with dedicated products. All you need to do is take a quiz that helps the brand analyze your skin type and help you with a list of the best possible products to achieve your skincare goals.
- Prominent Features of the Skinkraft Sunscreen:
- Its Ultra Matte Gel Sunscreen delivers a lightweight and non-sticky finish on your skin
- Dermatologically tested, this broad-spectrum sunscreen offers protection from sun damage by absorbing into the deeper layers of your skin
- Unlike other greasy sunscreens, this product has a light formula that is super nourishing
- If you have oily skin, using this sunscreen can be great as it feels no less than your second skin
- Free of parabens, phthalates, and SLS
- Contains SPF 40++++
- May cause pore-clogging
- Why We Picked the Skinkraft Sunscreen?
This oil-free sunscreen has a light gel consistency that absorbs into the skin within seconds, leaving it nourished and well-protected from the sun. It has a matte finish formula that never leaves a white cast on your skin even if you sweat a lot. It is also free from fragrance which is highly recommended for sensitive skin types.
Established in 1930 by Emanuel Stolaroff, Neutrogena is one of the most bought skincare and haircare brands in the world. This American brand is known for its amazingly effective products that are very gentle on your skin. The company is currently headquartered in Los Angeles and operates in more than 70 countries today.
- Prominent Features of the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock:
- It really lives up to its name and is the perfect choice for people with oily skin
- It has a lightweight formula that seeps quickly into the skin and leaves a non-sticky, matte finish
- The sunscreen is sweat-resistant, so you can freely walk out in the sun without having to worry about sweat melting the sunscreen from your face
- Comes in a secure tube packaging
- Contains SPF 50+ UVA and UVB protection
- It May not be best for sensitive skin
- Why We Picked the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock?
The product has been a best seller on Amazon for quite some time now and there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be. It contains SPF 50+ which safeguards your skin from damaging sun rays and the oh-so-light formula keeps your skin supple and smooth all day. It is also sweatproof so you can step out on a hot day without any worries!
4. Lotus Organics
Lotus Herbals is a popular skincare and cosmetics brand that heavily relies on Ayurveda to curate its products. It has a wide range of products that are made with herbal ingredients and are quite affordable as well. The company was founded in 1993 and has its headquarters in New Delhi. Here you can also check best sunscreen lotions & sunscreen brands for sensitive skin in India.
- Prominent Features of the Lotus Organics Face Sunscreen:
- It is a mineral-based gel that suits oily and sensitive skin types.
- The lightweight formula is blended with natural zinc oxide to block the sun and reduce inflammation
- Whereas, the addition of organic Frangipani soothes your skin and keeps it nourished
- The sunscreen is made with 99% natural ingredients, which makes it the ultimate choice for people who have sensitive skin
- Hydrating gel sunscreen
- Contains Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide
- May take some time to absorb
- Why We Picked the Lotus Organics Face Sunscreen:
The sunscreen comes from the house of one of the most reliable skincare brands in the country. It is a certified organic product that contains natural Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide for ultimate sun protection. Filled with natural ingredients, this product will not cause any irritation on the skin and keep it supple all the time.
5. La Shield
La Shield is a leader when it comes to sunscreens in India and is recommended by millions of skincare experts across the board. It is owned by Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Prominent Features of the La Shield Sunscreen Gel:
- It is a one-of-a-kind product that controls oil production and protects the skin from UV damage
- Its light gel formula absorbs quickly into the skin and leaves a matte, non-sticky finish
- The sunscreen contains micronized zinc oxide that creates an even protective layer
- Blocks harmful sun rays for up to 8 hours
- Travel-friendly packaging
- May leave a white cast
- Why We Picked the La Shield Sunscreen Gel?
This Zinc-based sunscreen comes with SPF 50 PA+++ to prevent tanning and dullness of skin. Its smooth and quick-absorbing formula settles down quickly and doesn’t leave an ashy cast on the skin. It is also non-comedogenic and makeup friendly.
6. Best Biotique Bio sunscreen
Biotique is popular skincare, haircare, and cosmetics brand that is based on natural ingredients. Its products are highly affordable and the brand has a stellar customer base in India due to their efficacy. The company was founded in 1992 and has head offices in Noida, UP.
- Prominent Features of the Biotique Bio Face And Body Sun Lotion:
- It is a natural sunscreen loaded with the goodness of herbal ingredients like aloe vera, honey, and cucumber
- It is one of the most moisturizing sunscreens out there and has a soothing scent
- Although the sunscreen has nourishing properties, it settles well on oily skin and keeps it non-sticky for a long time
- Comes in a bottle packaging
- Pleasant sandalwood fragrance
- Retains SPF even if in water for up to 80 minutes
- Contains honey
- May be a little greasy
- Why We Picked the Biotique Bio Face and Body Sun Lotion?
Loaded with natural ingredients, this sunscreen lotion can be used on both face and body so you don’t have to invest in a different product for your body. It has a paraben-free formula that’s highly suited for all skin types. The subtle scent of sandalwood will make you smell fresh throughout the day.
O3+ was founded in 2003 by Vineet Kapur and offers premium skincare solutions to customers across the country. It is used in millions of salons in India and has made quite a mark in the industry. The company has its headquarters in Noida.
- Prominent Features of the O3+ Whitening Face Day Cream:
- It offers full-proof protection to your skin from tan and hyperpigmentation
- If you are tired of the constant shiny skin that keeps recurring throughout the day, this can be an effective solution for it
- Regular usage can lighten the skin and make it look radiant
- Contains SPF 30
- Prevents suntan
- Has moisturizing properties
- Works well on oily skin
- A little pricey for SPF 30
- Why We Picked the O3+ Whitening Face Day Cream?
A nourishing SPF that does much more than protect your skin from the sun. Regularly using this product will help reduce tan, keep your skin supple, and brighten your complexion over time. All you need is a tiny bit of it and you’re good to go!
IPCA is a well-known brand that makes sunscreens for people who spend long hours in the sun. This pharmaceutical company was founded in 1949 and caters to multiple health concerns across India.
- Prominent features of the IPCA Acne UV Oil-Free Gel:
- It almost feels weightless and keeps your skin nourished for 3-4 hours
- The non-comedogenic formula doesn’t clog your pores and creates the perfect base for people who want to apply makeup above it
- Contains SPF 30 PA+++
- Comes in a tube packaging
- Broad-spectrum protection
- Keeps skin hydrated
- A little pricey
Himalaya is a leading personal care and wellness brand based out of India. It majorly retails ayurvedic products that are made using natural ingredients. The brand was founded in 1930 by M Manal and has its headquarters in Bangaluru.
- Prominent Features of the Himalaya Herbals Protective Sunscreen:
- It is a concoction of natural ingredients such as lily, apple, and aloe vera that soothe inflammation
- It has a very light consistency which absorbs quickly and leaves a matte, non-sticky finish
- This sunscreen has SPF 15 which prevents sun damage and premature aging
- Comes in a bottle and weighs 100 grams
- Contains aloe vera
- Keeps skin nourished
- Has anti-fungal properties
- May not offer protection for longer hours
VLCC is a prominent beauty and wellness brand that was launched by Vandana Luthra in the year 1989. The company started with making weight management products and slowly expanded into the beauty sector as well. It is quite popular in the India today.
- Prominent Features of the VLCC Sunscreen Gel:
- It is infused with Ceramide III, Niacinamide, Olive Oil, and Carrot Extract to keep your skin nourished and protected against harmful sun rays
- It has a hydrophobic formula that doesn’t budge the sunscreen due to sweat or water
- This sunscreen also has a calming fragrance that gives a soothing effect on your skin
- UVA and UVB protection
- You may need to apply a generous amount
Initially started as a baby and mother care brand, Mamearth has now expanded to the beauty, skincare, and wellness section in the market as well. The company was launched by Ghazal and Varun Alagh in 2016 and is based out of Gurgaon, India.
- Prominent Features of the Mamaearth Hydragel Sunscreen:
- It is infused with aloe vera and raspberry, which leaves a soothing effect on your skin
- It is rich in antioxidants that safeguard your skin from sun damage and tan
- The lightweight gel absorbs quickly and leaves no white cast after application
- If you are concerned about keeping your skin nourished, this glycerin-based sunscreen takes good care of that
- No added color or preservative
- Paraben and SLS free
- Hydrating gel formula
- Maybe a little greasy
Re’quil is a newly launched skincare and haircare brand that’s making waves in the Indian market today. It retails carefully curated products that are super effective and fall in the affordable to the medium range so everyone can use them without burning a hole in their pocket.s
- Prominent Features of the Re’equil Oxybenzone and OMC Free Sunscreen:
- It is an advanced sun protectant that leaves no oiliness on your skin
- It is enriched with aloe vera extracts that make the formula lightweight and non-sticky
- This Oxybenzone and OMC-free formula prevents UV rays from penetrating the deeper layers of your skin
- Contains SPF 50
- Advanced UVA and UVB
- May not be best for sensitive skin
Plum is a prominent skincare, haircare, and body care brand that was launched in 2013. The brand makes cruelty-free and vegan products that are completely safe for you and the environment. It has also launched a cosmetic range recently which has become quite a hit in the market.
- Prominent Features of the Plum Chamomile & White Tea Matte Sunscreen:
- It is an amazing product for people who hate the greasy feel on their skin
- It has a sheer formula that absorbs into the skin quickly and leaves a matte finish
- It is a daily cream rich in antioxidants that soothes your skin and leaves no white cast
- Enriched with chamomile extracts that make it rich in antioxidants
- Contains SPF 50 PA+++
- FDA approved
- Paraben-free, mineral oil-free, SLS-free
- May take some time to absorb
14. Aroma Magic
Aroma Magic is another leading skincare and aromatherapy brand that was founded in 1994 by Blossom Kochhar and late Col. V. Kochhar. You can find a huge variety of face care products such as face washes, sunscreen, scrubs, and essential oils that are affordable and very effective.
- Prominent Features of the Aroma Magic Aloe Vera Sunscreen Gel:
- It is a mineral sunscreen that creates a barrier between your skin and harmful sun rays
- This moisturizing product is enriched with wheatgerm and avocado oil to keep your skin hydrated and reduce signs of ageing
- It has SPF 20 which protects your skin for 2-3 hours
- The fragrance is subtle and pleasing and doesn’t feel heavy on your skin
- Comes in a sleek tube packaging
- May cause breakouts
15. Lacto Calamine
Lacto Calamine is a skincare brand that retails top-notch lotions for different skin concerns. It is owned by Piramal Enterprises which is quite prominent in the Indian market.
- Prominent Features of the Lacto Calamine Sunshield Matte Sunscreen:
- It is a water-based formula that absorbs quickly into the skin
- As it is enriched with kaolin clay and lemon extracts which deliver a nice, matte look on your skin
- If you are looking for a sunscreen that feels light on the skin, go for this product
- Contains SPF 50 PA+++
- Comes in a tube packaging
- Lightweight water-based sunscreen
- Not suitable for dry skin
Sunscreen is an essential need for everyone, no matter where you go. Using the wrong sunscreen can damage your skin to an irreparable level and that’s why we have rounded up a list of the best sunscreen options out there for oily skin. We feel these products are highly effective and fall in the affordable range so everyone can use them.
1. How to choose sunscreen for oily skin?
People with oily skin should choose a non-oily and mattifying sunscreen that absorbs quickly into the skin. It should also have non-comedogenic properties so that the product doesn’t clog your pores. You should also search for sunscreen, which acts as a moisturizer as well.
2. How much SPF is good for oily skin?
When heading out, you should use broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 50. An SPF 50 sunscreen will be effective for 4-5 hours, so you wouldn’t have to worry about reapplying it constantly.
3. What is the best sunscreen for oily skin?
You should look for a sunscreen that is lightweight and quick-absorbing. Some of the best sunscreens for oily skin are Plum’s Gel Sunscreen, Neutrogena’s Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock, and Lakme’s Ultra Matte Gel Sunscreen.
4. Can I skip moisturizer and use sunscreen?
Yes, you can totally use sunscreen without using a moisturizer. People with oily skin can use a gel-based sunscreen as that will offer a matte finish and make your skin look fresh.
Why Trust Cashkaro Reviews?
Our team of category-specific researchers take the time to understand why a certain product is best for you. We also take into consideration several customer reviews on Amazon to ensure that no below-average product makes it to our list. Cashkaro’s blog only offers the best and most reliable information so that you can make your purchases with clarity.