‘Basmati’ rice is a premium quality grain loved by people across the world. From delectable Biryanis to tangy fried rice, Basmati rice has been the base for many mouth-watering meals. The grains are fine, long, soft, and rich in nutrients. While the market is abundant with numerous Basmati rice brands, finding the best Indian basmati rice may be a little tricky. If you are looking to stock up your pantry with the best basmati rice brands or considering making tasty biryani using Licious, here’s a quick reckoner to help you make the right choice.
How do we choose the best basmati rice brands?
The best Basmati rice is priced between Rs 100 to Rs 500 per kg. We have listed some of the best Basmati rice brands here. In selecting them, we have taken into account many factors such as their quality, nutritional properties, origin, ageing, processing, etc. We have taken utmost care of user reviews and satisfaction in selecting the best Basmati Rice brands. All the products listed here have a 4/5 rating on Amazon.
List of the 15 Top Basmati Rice Brands in India
Daawat presents the finest basmati rice that is specially made for everyday cooking. When thinking of good basmati rice, Daawat is one of the first brands that make it to the list. It was founded in 1984 and is now owned by LT Foods, which handles its manufacturing and selling. Daawat Basmati is not just prominent in India but also has a huge customer base in many other countries.
- This basmati rice packs high-quality rice grains nourished by snow-fed rivers of the Himalayas.
- It has a mixture of long and broken grains.
- This smooth-textured basmati rice is naturally aged to offer a sweet taste and rich aroma.
- It cooks into soft and flavourful grains that are loaded with nutrients required in your daily diet plan.
- The grains fluff up and separate upon cooking.
- This offering by Daawat is a premium yet budget-friendly option when it comes to the best basmati rice.
- Packaging is not good
- The rice has a bad odour, according to complaints
Kohinoor is yet another classic food brand in India that is popular for its top-grade basmati rice. The brand was launched in 1989 and is owned by McCormick & Company, a large food company based in the US. Kohinoor doesn’t just manufacture basmati rice but several Indian staples such as flour, spices, cooking pastes, namkeens, biscuits, etc.
- These elongated grains have a sweet and earthy aroma and a lean texture that keeps every grain separate.
- Turn your meals into a feast with Kohinoor’s smooth and slender basmati rice.
- These grains are manufactured in a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility and governed by the highest food quality and safety standards.
- It is sourced from selecting the fields to choosing the rice grains.
- This leading contender for best basmati rice has a rich taste and is a great pick for getting the authentic taste of basmati rice.
- Best for biryani, pulao, and steamed jeera rice recipes.
We all know Fortune as it produces some of the best quality edible oils in India. The brand came to light after launching oils for health-conscious people. It is a part of the Adani Group and has a huge customer base in India.
- Rich and delicious, these pristine white grains are perfect for daily cooking.
- Fortune basmati rice is a popular pick for best basmati rice and is popular as an everyday staple.
- This rice is specially aged so that the rice grains acquire twice the size and are fluffy after getting cooked.
- These grains do not stick to each other and exude a flavourful aroma and slender texture.
- This best quality basmati rice is hygienically packed for safety purposes.
- The real scent is missing
- Flavour is not the best
Shri Lal Mahal
Shri Lal Mahal is a multinational food company that started off as a small business in 1907. Over the years, the brand expanded its business and is knowns as one of the largest rice producers in India today. You can find all the Indian staples under this brand, such as wheat, rice, pulses, soya, etc.
- The secret behind the famous Hyderabadi biryani is Shri Lal Mahal’s basmati rice.
- Shri Lal Mahal basmati rice is of premium quality.
- Its extra-long grains come from the finest paddy fields in the country.
- These rice grains are 24mm, making them longer than other regular basmati grains available in the market.
- It is easy to digest and has been aged for over two years to offer a delicious and aromatic flavour.
- It is a trusted choice for the best basmati rice for biryani.
- The size of rice is average
- Basmati aroma is missing
- Price is too high
India Gate has been a top choice for millions of Indians when it comes to quality basmati rice. It is owned by KRBL, which is one of the largest rice companies in the world. India Gate exports a wide variety of rice to various countries around the globe and has an ever-growing demand everywhere today. Many regions in the country use this brand to make biryanis. Delve into the delicious aroma of India Gate’s basmati rice which has a soft texture and an authentic taste.
- These basmati rice grains are pearly white, smooth, and extra-long that are sure to satiate your taste buds upon consumption.
- Perfectly aged for more than a year, these grains become fluffy, voluminous and elongated when cooked optimally.
- The rice grains elongate up to three times and do not stick or break when cooked.
- Produced abiding by International quality standards and packed without any human touch.
- It is one of the best basmati rice brands out there with an authentic taste.
- It can be consumed every day and can also be used to cook exotic dishes like biryani and pulao.
Sungold Trade Limited is a leading foods company in India that was founded in the year 2009. The brand is popular for producing top-quality organic and basmati rice. It also produces quality wheat, pulses, sugar, soybean, etc. Over the years, it has garnered a massive clientele in the country.
- The grains are long and separate from each other after cooking.
- It has great fragrance and flavour from every variety, so you’re in for a real treat.
- You can find great quality Pusa rice, white sela rice, traditional white rice, creamy Indian basmati rice that is used extensively in Indian meals every day.
Lal Qilla is no doubt one of the best rice manufacturing companies in India. It was launched by Late S.Amar Singh and is based out of Amritsar, Punjab. This ISO-certified brand uses exotic and traditional methods to farm the best quality rice in the country. With decades of experience, this brand has now become a true staple in the state of Punjab.
- This pack of Majestic Extra Long Grain Basmati Rice by Lal Qilla is one of its best-selling products.
- The rice is grown at the foothills of Himachal and is aged to perfection.
- The delicious fragrance and fluffy texture of the rice make them a delight to eat.
- Extra-long basmati rice
- Aged to perfection
- Smooth texture and firmness
Pansari is an experienced player in the Indian foods market and mainly retails staples and edible oils. It has been in the business for more than six decades and has managed to stay relevant due to the superb quality of its products. It exports to every Indian state and many countries worldwide today.
- This Signature Long Grain Rice have an amazing fragrance and taste that will make you want to eat them again and again.
- The fluffy and delicate grains have a nice bite to them, which makes them stand out from the rest in the market.
- You can make rich biryanis, pulaos, and khichdi using this rice.
- Delicate and soft grains
- Ideal for dishes prepared regularly in households
- Carefully processed in a world-class manufacturing facility
- Dust and tiny particles found inside the bag
- The size of the rice is small
- The scent of basmati rice is missing
As the name suggests, Organic India is a wellness and foods brand that relies on organic methods to make its products. It was launched in the year 1997 by Bharat Mitra and Bhavani Lev and became popular in India for its green teas. It retails foods, skincare, haircare, herbal supplements, and packaged food items in India today.
- This White Basmati Rice can be a great addition to your everyday diet and will properly fulfil your daily carb needs.
- The grains are long and separate easily after they’re cooked.
- Since it’s an ISO-certified brand, you only get great taste, aroma, and quality.
- Rich source of vitamin and fibre
- Boosts immunity and metabolism
- Delicious flavour and rich aroma
Tata Sampann is a huge part of the massive multinational conglomerate Tata Group. Tata Group was founded in the year 1868 by Jamsedji Tata and has its headquarters in Mumbai, India. It has several sub-brands successfully running under it, Tata Sampann being one of them. Tata Sampann mainly retails packaged foods and staples that are highly trusted by Indian buyers.
- If you love a meal that is just as nutritious as it’s delightful, you will thoroughly enjoy Tata Sampann’s Basmati Rice.
- The grains cook to perfection, are super aromatic, and taste delicious.
- It has nutrients such as zinc and phosphorus that make them high in nutritional content as well.
- The goodness of natural nutrition
- Delectable taste and delightful aroma
- Pure and authentic paddy
- Rice is thick and sticky
- It is very costly
- Absorbs a lot of water
Aeroplane is a brand known for producing ace quality rice in India. The brand also markets to several countries across the globe and continues to expand its business even further. It grows its rice on the foothills of the Himalayas, which adds a lot of flavour and aroma to it.
- This pack of Gold Basmati Rice by Aeroplane delivers exceptional taste, aroma, and quality that’s out of this world.
- The grains are long and fluff up to perfection after boiling.
- Each and every grain stays separated, making it perfect for biryanis and pulaos.
- High nutritional value
- Delicious in taste
- Shelf life of 2 years
- Flavour and fragrance is missing
- Packaging is not good enough
- Quite pricey
Tilda is one of the finest rice brands from Britain that has managed to gain a solid customer base worldwide. It exports to several Asian, South African, and European countries from its headquarters in Rainham, Essex. It was founded in 1970 and has maintained a reputable image in the market with its high-quality products.
- This Resham Basmati Rice from Tilda has a sweet and nutty flavour that will make the best biryanis you’ve ever tasted.
- The long and finely aged rice boils to fluffy grains that have a nice bite to them as well.
- If you want to explore more varieties of rice, go for this one.
- Zero compromises on quality.
- Rice is processed in a natural way
- The ageing process ensures that grains churn out slender, fluffy, aromatic and non-sticky.
Organic Tattva is a leading consumer goods company that was launched in 1969. The brand has emerged to be one of the finest in the Indian market and keeps on raising the bar with every new launch. It uses organic methods to source all the ingredients so that you only get the best taste and quality in your meals. It holds international organic certifications, so you can stay assured of the quality.
- If you’re a health freak who also loves organic foods, this pack of Brown Rice by Organic Tattva is perfect for you.
- The rice is full of fibre, nutrients and has a low glycemic index for quick and easy digestion.
- The rice has hefty, aromatic, and quite filling, so you feel satiated for a longer period.
- Kill hunger pangs by adding some of this boiled rice to your everyday salads.
- Organically grown without pesticides
- Fat-free and sodium-free
- It provides a good amount of carbohydrates and proteins
- Semi-polished white rice
- Packaging was not good
- Husk quality is missing
Pristine Organics was launched in 1992 with the aim to make healthy and organic food easily accessible to the Indian market. The brand efficiently uses science and technology to deliver high-quality food products. With headquarters in Bangalore, it operates smoothly across the country with offline and online platforms.
- Pristine’s Fields of Gold Brown Rice can be a great addition to your diet.
- It is a great source of fibre and minerals so that you stay healthy.
- The rice is low in glycemic index and has great flavour for aromatic meals.
- Slender-grained with a delightful aroma
- Packed with nutrients
- Minimally processed to retain all the vitamins and minerals
- Broken rice
- Smell is not good
Natureland Organics was launched in 2002 by Ajeet Godara and Arvind Godara. The brand aimed to make organic farming more popular in India and has successfully managed to do so. It manufactures foods using sustainable methods while ensuring that it delivers great quality and taste.
- This Organic Rice by Natureland will add a burst of flavour to your regular biryanis.
- Rice quality plays a huge role in how your biryani will turn out, and this one is made specifically for biryanis, so you’re in for a treat.
- This Pusa Rice is aromatic and boils to fluffy, soft grains that are ideal for biryanis.
- It absorbs all the spices quickly, so you’ll be able to taste the masala in every bite.
- It has high calorific value
- Processed, cleaned and packed with great care
- High energy food in their regular diet
- Real aroma is missing
- Too much expensive
What are the best-selling basmati rice brands in India?
Daawat, Kohinoor, Shrilalmahal, India Gate, and Fortune are some of the best selling basmati rice brands in India.
Which country has the best basmati rice in the world?
India is known as one of the largest producers of basmati rice in the world and has some of the best varieties found worldwide.