Dark chocolates are bitter-sweet preparations sourced from the seeds of cocoa trees. These decadent treats are loaded with nutrition and rich flavours compared to their milk and white chocolate counterparts. The nutritional goodness of dark chocolates is predominantly due to the high cocoa content. It delivers an astounding amount of antioxidants, soluble fibre, manganese, selenium, copper, magnesium, iron, and potassium. If you are a chocolate lover or just tempted by this classic treat, here’s a list of the best dark chocolate brands in India for you. Check out the list and enjoy guilt-free snacking.
Our Top Picks :
How Do We Choose the Right Dark Chocolate Brands for You?
A versatile ingredient, dark chocolates can be eaten raw and even used to prepare tons of different desserts. They are rich in antioxidants and are good for heart health, boost energy levels, and act as a great mood-lifter. In India, you can easily find a bar of one of the best dark chocolate brands on a budget of Rs 200 to Rs 600.
There are several chocolate sellers in the market; it becomes a daunting task to choose the best ones who offer original products. If you, too, are looking to buy dark chocolates, here are a few checkpoints that are key to getting your hands on the best product. We also kept these factors in mind while curating this list.
Dark chocolate contains a high cocoa content. To ensure purity and reap its maximum health benefits, we checked the content and ensured it was between 70-90%. We also picked chocolates that are made from ethically sourced cacao beans and are pure.
Checking the list of ingredients is an important factor to be on the buying checklist. We carefully looked for all the ingredients and ensured that they were devoid of or contained a low quantity of milk or milk products. We also looked for no or less sugar or trans fat to offer you a healthy indulgence.
There are different flavours of chocolates available in the market. While some are plain dark chocolates, others contain nuts or other ingredients. The brands we picked offer a range of flavours. You must also choose the flavour that suits your tastebuds.
List of Top 15 Dark Chocolate Brands in India
Amul is one of the first names that come to mind when we think of fine and rich chocolates. The brand was founded in the year 1946 by Tribhuvandas Patel and has become one of the most loved dairy brands in the country. With headquarters in Anand, Gujarat, it operates across the country and is knowns as one of the largest dairy product distributors in the nation.
Prominent Features of Amul:
- It is pure dark chocolate with no sugar, milk, milk products, and vegetable fat
- The chocolate hosts the fresh and striking notes of pure cocoa and offers an intense dark flavour
- This exceptionally bitter chocolate bar is masterfully crafted with the strength of single-origin cocoa beans
- There are several other variants available like Amul dark 55%, Amul Bitter 75% and Amul Bitter 90%
- Easily available
- Source of anti-oxidants
- 100% vegetarian
- Rich taste
- Not a good choice for the regular chocolate lover
Why We Picked Amul?
Amul 99% Cacao chocolate contains nothing but cocoa and fits the bill as the top choice for the best dark chocolates. It is extremely dark and bitter chocolate with no milk and added flavours. For an added dose of antioxidants and minerals, nibble a square of this chocolate every once in a while. Looking for a good quality yogurt. Here is our list of the best yogurt brands in India that you must try.
When a trusted brand introduces its dark chocolates, we know it has to be one of the best options. Cadbury is a British confectionery brand based out of England, which was founded in the year 1824. Over the years, it has become one of the leading dark chocolate brands in India. While its entire range is highly adored by millions of people, its Cadbury Bournville is the go-to treat for dark chocolate connoisseurs.
Prominent Features of Cadbury:
- Cadbury Bournville has a smooth texture and flavour with a perfect aroma to make you feel relaxed
- This dark chocolate has 50% cocoa and comes with sweetness and small chunks of cranberry
- It is made with the finest quality cocoa beans that are sourced sustainably and offer a luxurious taste
- Available in various flavours like rich cocoa, cranberry, fruit & nut, 70% dark, etc.
- Rich and smooth taste
- Multiple size packaging
- Zero trans fat
- Soothing taste
- Slightly more expensive than other Cadbury chocolates
Why We Picked Cadbury?
Cadbury Bournville Cranberry Dark Chocolate is one of the finest chocolates that is made with the perfect size and aroma of cocoa beans. The quality cocoa beans with the richness of cranberry offer a delightful taste and luxury in every bite. Get your hands on this product to experience the world of premium dark chocolates. With this being said, you must also try milk chocolates by Cranberry.
A relatively newer brand Nepenthe has made a significant impact in the Indian market with its high-end products. The brand was initiated in the year 2017 when the founders bought land on the island of Hawai. They started farming cacao and found their passion in making the best quality chocolates. The brand has become quite popular in India with an influx of online orders.
Prominent Features of Nepenthe:
- It is made with organic cacao beans and cocoa butter sourced from our plantation in Wayanad, Kerala
- Sweetened with stevia, this chocolate is completely sugar-free and a great alternative to stopping cravings
- It is loaded with hazelnuts that give a nutty finish to the texture and enhances the taste
- The chocolate comes wrapped in environmental-friendly packaging with no foil and plastic
- Melts in the mouth
- High-quality chocolate
- Rich and silky texture
- Organic and vegan
- It is quite costly
Why We Picked Nepenthe?
Looking for vegan and gluten-free keto chocolate? Our list of the best dark chocolates has got you covered by this pick from Nepenthe Keto Culture. This hazelnut chocolate bar houses 60% cocoa and is packed with proteins and healthy fats. Also, it is low on carbs with no preservatives or artificial flavour.
Moreover, for those who are looking for perfect chips, we have created this amazing list covering some of the best chips brands in India. Do have a look.
If you talk about Swiss chocolate brands, Nestlé would be the first name that you’d think of. It has been making waves in the Indian market and has a massive fan following here. The brand was launched in 1866 by Henri Nestlé and had its headquarters located in Vaud, Switzerland. Along with chocolates, it is highly known for its exceptional coffee, confectionery, baby products, and medical products.
Prominent Features of Nestlé:
- It is unique crunchy chocolate that has wafers wrapped around the finest dark cocoa chocolate
- This chocolate is a natural flavour with sustainably sourced cocoa and no artificial colours or flavours
- This is premium chocolate which has a smooth and intense flavour and is completely vegetarian
- It has lingering fruity notes that balance out the flavours and gives a great experience
- Ideal size chocolate
- High-quality cocoa beans
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Gluten-free chocolate
- Availability might be an issue
Why We Picked Nestlé?
This Nestle Kitkat Dark Chocolate is perfect for pleasing your taste buds with its rich and smooth texture. This chocolate quickly melts in your mouth and lets you splurge and indulge in a delightful treat. It is 76% dark chocolate that also contains peanuts and tree nuts for an enhanced flavour.
Ambriona was founded with immense love for chocolate by Shahzad Anklesaria. The brand focuses on creating health-friendly, gluten-free chocolate options that are perfect for health-conscious Indians. It creates all its products with utmost care and clean & natural ingredients that lead to a lead healthier & happier life.
Prominent Features of Ambriona:
- The cocoa beans used in the production of these chocolates are the finest beans from South India
- These chocolates bear a characteristic strong flavour and earthy, citric and berry notes
- It is a vegan and gluten-free chocolate pack with a punch of nutrition, antioxidants and dietary fibres
- They are a perfect balance of sweetness and bitter flavour and a great choice for lactose intolerant people
- Crunchy feel
- High-finish cocoa beans
- Dairy-free chocolate
- Exciting flavours
- The size of the pack is small
Why We Picked Ambriona?
This assortment of dark chocolates comes in a pack of 4 flavours – 70% dark Indian origin, 45% mild dark with caramelised almonds and sea salt, 45% mild dark with roasted hazelnuts, and 65% intense dark with muesli. The harvested cocoa beans used in the chocolate are fermented in hygienic conditions before processing to ensure safe consumption. Cocoa notes with a delectable nutty twist of the chocolates are worth trying.
Lindt is hands down one of the best dark chocolate brands in the world for its top-notch products. It was founded in the year 1845 and is headquartered in Kilchberg, Switzerland. It offers some premium dark chocolates that are prepared with the finest cocoa beans from all around the world. The Rich, creamy texture of these chocolates is unquestionably divine.
Prominent Features of Lindt:
- Created by the Lindt Master Chocolatiers, this dark chocolate is an absolute delight with its robust, full-bodied flavour
- It is made of 99% cocoa solids, giving it an absolute bitter taste and an intense earthy aroma
- The chocolate has a soft, creamy texture despite having milt and gets melt into the mouth
- Available in two different sizes of packaging with different levels of cocoa content, like 70%, 78%, 85%, 90%, and 99%
- Superior texture
- Affordable Price
- Long-lasting flavour
- Suitable for vegetarians
Why We Picked Lindt?
This extra fine dark chocolate from Lindt’s house offers an unmatched dark chocolate experience in its proper form. It has a superior texture to suit every bitter chocolate lover’s palate. The bitter-sweet flavour of the chocolate offers a lingering feeling and has a luxurious and intense taste that will make you fall in love with it.
Ketofy has been making weight management easier for people with its scrumptious keto foods. Now, there’s no need to suppress your cravings, as Ketofy has a plethora of keto products that you can consume to feel satiated. The brand was launched by Aanan Khurana and had its headquarters located in Gurugram, Haryana. It offers a range of dark chocolates that are an ideal dessert and a healthy option for everyone.
Prominent Features of Ketofy:
- Made with premium cocoa butter and original, unsweetened cocoa, this dark chocolate is a vegetarian product
- It is extracted from authentic cocoa beans and is rich in proteins, antioxidants and vitamins
- Sweetened with stevia, it contains no trans fats, added preservatives, artificial sugar, or synthetic flavouring
- The chocolate contains crunchy hazelnuts that add a unique texture, balance the flavour, and lift up the chocolate experience
- Free from milk
- Low carb chocolate
- Maintain their blood sugar level
- Foil packaging is a bit difficult to remove
Why We Picked Ketofy?
From the house of Wellversed, Ketofy dark chocolate is a keto-friendly pick that rightfully deserves to be on the list of the best dark chocolates. It is a great alternative to regular chocolates for making delectable cakes, shakes, mousse and much more, which do not harm health. Also, this chocolate bar is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, which makes it healthy on-the-go chocolate.
Morde is one of the finest homegrown brands that deliver exceptional cocoa products, which are mostly used for baking. It was founded in the year 1983 by Mr Chandrakant Morde and is headquartered in Mumbai. All of its products are HACCP, FSSC 22000 & Halal certified, so you can stay assured about the quality and know that you’ll only get the best.
Prominent Features of Morde:
- It is made up of premium quality cocoa solids, sugar and edible vegetable fat
- This chocolate is perfect for baking and can be used in cookies, cakes, pastries, muffins and much more
- Its rich dark brown texture with natural vanilla flavour adds an intense chocolate colour and flavour to the dishes
- It is easy to melt chocolate with a beautiful aroma that will entice everyone when used in baking items
- Finest quality ingredients
- Easy to melt chocolate
- Fairly Priced
- Packed under hygienic conditions
- Dark bitter chocolate lovers might find it a little too sweet
The Hershey Company is no less than the pride of American chocolates and one of the largest producers worldwide. The brand was launched in 1984 by Milton S. Hershey and had its headquarters in Pennsylvania, US. It also manufactures baked goods such as cookies, cakes, and milkshakes in beverages that are liked by many. If you are a dark chocolate lover, this Hershey’s pack of exotic chocolate is a must-try.
Prominent Features of Hershey’s:
- It is rich and dark premium chocolate with intensified taste and crunch of Californian almonds
- The blackberry flavour is sprinkled over the thickly coated almonds, which makes it even more delicious
- This dark cocoa-rich chocolate is a perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness for an exotic experience
- It comes in an exclusive range of 5 different flavours and packaging sizes to let you choose as per your preference
- Vegetarian product
- Roasted almonds
- Smooth texture
- No trans fat
Bogatchi is one of the fastest-growing chocolate brands in India. It was launched in 2014 and had its headquarters in Delhi, India. The brand exports its chocolates to several countries in the US, Europe, Canada, and Asia. It also has numerous great-tasting flavours, which are all unique in one way or another. This brand crafts some of the most exotic dark chocolates to treat your tastebuds.
Prominent Features of Bogatchi:
- It is completely free of sugar and gluten, making it an ultimate option for diabetics and the health-conscious crowd
- The chocolate is made with 100% real cocoa all the way from Africa, which gives it a smooth, rich, and velvety taste
- It is keto and low-carb chocolate which is pure and contains minimal sugar, offering excellent health benefits
- This dark chocolate is rich in healthy antioxidants that help in weight management and reduce cravings
- 100% vegetarian
- Multiple flavours available
- Contains protein
- Unsweetened chocolate
- The taste might not suit everyone
Founded in 2011, Zevic was launched with the vision to eliminate the usage of artificial sweeteners in food today. This Indian brand has made a name for itself with its top-quality products such as chocolates, spreads, beverages, and baked goods. If you are someone who likes to make healthy eating choices without compromising your taste, Zevic will have a lot to offer you.
Prominent Features of Zevic:
- It has 70% original Belgium cocoa content with no sugar, making it a much healthier snacking option
- The keto formulation, natural sweetener, and low cards of the chocolate make it suitable for people on diets
- Contains cocoa butter which makes it a deliciously fragrant, lip-smacking, and healthy choice
- You can also find 85% and 99% dark chocolate variants under this brand
- Vegan and sugar-free
- Ideal for weight-conscious
- Rich flavour and healthy
- Organic ingredients
Toblerone is a Swiss chocolate brand that was founded in the year 1903 and has been going strong ever since. Founders Emil Baumann & Theodor Tobler created a unique chocolate recipe consisting of nougat, almonds, and milk which was widely appreciated and became a signature of Toblerone. Its chocolates have a unique triangular shape with amazing taste, which is a go-to choice for chocolate lovers.
Prominent Features of Toblerone:
- This dark chocolate from Toblerone is made with chocolate, honey, and almonds and has a light crispy taste of nougat
- It has an explosion of flavours and smooth texture that melts in the mouth and makes the experience an unforgettable one
- It is non-vegetarian chocolate that contains eggs and has a famously distinctive triangular shape
- This high-quality dark chocolate has 50% cocoa solids and is available at an affordable price
- Smooth and creamy
- Perfect snacking option
- Multiple variants available
- Easy availability
- It can be too sweet for some dark chocolate lovers
Founded in 1932, Butlers Chocolates is one of the best-selling chocolate brands of Irish origin. The brand manufactures luxury chocolates
and confectionery products such as toffees, bars, truffles, fudge, chocolate eggs, etc. With its headquarters in North Dublin, the brand smoothly runs its worldwide operations and distributes products to several countries. If you’ve wanted to relish great quality chocolate for a while, Butlers won’t disappoint.
Prominent Features of Butlers:
- This bar of chocolate is made with 70% pure cocoa solids, giving it an earthy and premium taste
- It snaps easily and has a nice rich, creamy, and smooth texture that melts in your mouth almost instantly.
- Its dark chocolate bar is a perfect, healthy treat for dessert with 70% cocoa solids
- This chocolate is a pure vegetarian piece of chocolate made with fresh ingredients and is alcohol-free
- 100% vegetarian
- Perfect baking bar
- Comes in seven different flavours
- Contains crunchy nuts
- It tastes not so bitter
Rage Chocolatier is a fine Indian chocolate brand based in Bangalore, Karnataka. You get premium quality dark chocolates under Rage Chocolatier, which are made with top-quality ingredients. The packaging is outstanding as well, which entices a lot of people to buy the product. The brand also produces sensational coffee, which is loved by many.
Prominent Features of Rage Chocolatier:
- This chocolate is made with 85% finest cocoa beans that are imported from Belgium
- It is a home-made chocolate bar that is 100% vegetarian that has a rich and delicious flavour
- Being dark chocolate, it is an instant mood lifter and a perfect choice to treat your tastebuds
- Available in colourful packaging that looks appealing and makes it a perfect gifting option
- Rich, premium taste
- Handcrafted chocolate
- Variety of flavours
- Balanced flavour
- Availability might be an issue
Founded in the year 2011 by Sonal & Abhinav Bisarya, Denali portrays its love for chocolates by making the highest quality products on the market. The taste is inspired by Europe, Africa, and South American influences. The brand is ISO certified, so you can stay assured about its taste and quality. If you are looking for easy-to-melt and perfectly designed dark chocolate for baking, this is the brand for you.
Prominent Features of Denali:
- It is top-quality compound chocolate that is made with 18% cocoa beans for a balanced taste
- With lesser content of cocoa beans, it is best suited for Indian taste buds or palettes
- This chocolate is perfect for baking and can be used in cake decoration, muffins, mousse, etc.
- It has a good shelf life of 12 months which ensures long-time usage and comes perfectly packed.
- 100% vegetarian
- Smooth texture
- Versatile usage
- Easy to melt and mix
In addition to all of these, we would also like you to check our latest blog, where we have mentioned some of the most used mayonnaise brands in India, which you might not wanna miss out on. Do have a look and let us know if you find it useful.
If you’re into baking and cooking and love dark, bitter chocolates, you will definitely enjoy these aforementioned suggestions. These dark chocolates are delicacies preferred by most to satiate their sweet cravings without impacting their health. While the nutritional perks of dark chocolates are sky-high, it is essential to exercise moderation in its consumption. While Amul, Cadbury, and Morde are our top picks for their exotic flavour, wide availability and excellent flavours, you pick your personal favourite and let us know which dark chocolate option has impressed you the most out of this lot!
1. Which Indian dark chocolate is best?
While all the mentioned brands are top-selling brands in the Indian market, Nestle, Cadbury, and Lindt are considered to be the best dark chocolates in the world.
2. What are the different types of chocolates in India?
There is a long list of different types of chocolates. Some of which you can easily find in India are sweetened, unsweetened, dark, milk, and white chocolates.
Why Trust CashKaro Reviews?
Cashkaro has highly skilled and experienced researchers who analyse and test various products to provide you with the best suggestions. For the best dark chocolate brands in India blog, we have evaluated brands on multiple factors like cocoa content, flavours, availability, taste, and price to create a list of helpful suggestions. We hope that this list will help you to ease your chocolate shopping in the online space.