We all love cheese, and why shouldn’t we? It just makes everything 10x better! Whether you’re setting up a charcuterie board to go with your favourite wine or making a gooey pizza for the weekend, cheese is the essence of it all. Apart from being delicious, cheese is also healthy for you if consumed in moderation. It’s a great source of good fat, protein, and vitamins that are beneficial for your health. If you’re yet to discover your favourite cheeses, we’ve rounded up a list of the best cheese brands in India just for you!
Our Top Picks:
How Do We Choose the Best Cheese Options for You?
With a wide variety of cheese in the market, you may feel confused about what to choose. Different cheeses have different tastes, textures, in-mouth feel, and fragrances, and you may not like all of them. If you’re very sceptical about buying the right cheese, you can go for processed cheese made by prominent dairy brands in India. You can get good quality cheese ranging from Rs 99 to Rs 300 in India.
Here are a few factors that can help you make the right choice.
Every cheese is best-suited for different purposes. For example, Mozzarella cheese works well with pizzas, pasta, and lasagne. Whereas Feta cheese has a creamy texture that is widely used with salads as it adds a whole other dimension. You can also grill feta to enjoy it in its glory. Cheddar cheese is also super popular in India, and many people use it on their pizzas, sandwiches, pasta, and cheese toast. You can also choose between parmesan and gouda cheese; both are excellent options that suit Indian taste buds.
In India, most brands make cheese out of cow’s milk as it churns the perfect balance of tanginess and creaminess. However, you can also try goat’s cheese, which is a little on the tangy side. Buffalo cheese is also another amazing option as it is very high in fat content and makes creamy, rich cheese such as mozzarella.
When buying cheese for the first time, you should rely on prominent brands as they understand your palates and offer suitable products. You can also try going to cheese tastings and figuring out what kind of cheese you like, but not everyone has the time for that. The brands we’ve mentioned below have superb customer reviews on Amazon and an average rating of 4/5 stars, so you should definitely check them out.
List of 12 Top Cheese Brands in India
Amul is no doubt one of the largest dairies in India which continues to keep growing exponentially. The brand was founded in 1946 by Tribhuvandas Patel and has its headquarters in Anand, Gujarat. Apart from producing top-quality milk, Amul is also known as one of the finest cheese & ghee manufacturers in India. It generated a whopping turnover of Rs 39,200 crores in the FY 2020-21.
Prominent Features of the Amul Processed Cheese Cube:
- It is one of its highest-selling products
- It’s made using graded cow/buffalo milk and has a high nutritional profile as well
- The salty taste is not too overwhelming and this cheese cube will complement a lot of your dishes such as pizza, pasta, and sandwiches
- The pack contains 8 cubes
- Weighs 200 grams
- A fresh and versatile cheese
- Affordable and good quality
- Long shelf life
- It may taste a little too salty to some people
Why We Picked the Amul Processed Cheese Cubes?
The cheese is made with cow and buffalo milk which lends a creamy and rich taste to it. It is also high in good fats and proteins that are essential for your health. The cubes are very versatile and can be added to a variety of dishes. Moreover, the trust that comes with Amul makes it our top choice.
Britannia is a leading processed foods company that was founded by a group of British businessmen in 1892. The brand is now owned by Wadia Group and has its headquarters in Kolkata, India. It became popular after launching its Tiger brand of biscuits and slowly expanded to other sections as well. It makes bakery products such as bread, cakes, buns, and rusk. It generated a revenue of Rs 3,607 crores in the year 2021. Here you can also check the best biscuit brands in India.
Prominent Features of the Britannia Cheese Block
- Made with pure cow milk that adds a natural richness and creaminess to it
- It melts to a gooey texture and makes all your dishes a lot tastier
- You can simply grate it on top of your pizza, or pasta, or just add some slices to your sandwiches and you’re good to go
- It tastes great and has a nice aroma to it as well
- Weighs 400 grams
- Rich taste and aroma
- Authentic flavour and yellow in colour
- Rich in calcium
- Packaging may not be satisfactory
Why We Picked the Britannia Cheese block?
The cheese has the perfect blend of richness and subtle sharpness to it. It melts in your mouth and leaves a nice salty taste that you will enjoy. It is also very rich in protein, good fats, and calcium. All in all, a great choice for people who like consuming cheese every day.
Gowardhan is a popular dairy brand owned by Parag Milk Foods. It was launched in the year 1992 and has its headquarters based in Mumbai, India. It makes almost 10,00,000 litres of milk every day and even delivers to other international brands such as Dominos, Baskin Robbins, Barista, etc.
Prominent Features of the Gowardhan Cheese Block:
- Made of cow’s milk which is creamy and delicious
- It has a blend of different cheddar cheeses and has a smooth texture
- The Cheese also has a high melting point so you can make a variety of dishes in it
- If you’re looking for cheese that’s versatile, tasty, and affordable, go for this one
- Weighs 200 grams
- Creamy texture
- High melting point
- Versatile cheese
- It may not be easily available online
Why We Picked the Gowardhan Cheese Block?
The cheese is made with cow’s milk which makes it sweet, creamy, and rich so that you can elevate your pizzas and pasta at home. It is very affordable and has a high melting point as well. Overall, an ideal choice for people who prefer cow milk cheese on a budget.
Acres Wild is another homegrown brand that’s taken the cheese world by storm. It was started by a family from Mumbai who settled later in Coonnor and started their cheesemaking business there. The brand is pretty prominent in the South Indian region and has a good customer base in other regions as well. If you’re looking for good quality cheese made in India, check out this brand.
Prominent Features of the Acres Wild Gouda Cheese:
- Made with the best quality cow’s milk and goes through a long process in order to achieve flavour and texture
- The cheese is yellow in colour and is usually sold in circular shapes
- It has a salty and creamy taste which many people love here
- You can also find a wide variety of other cheeses such as liquid cheese, mozzarella, ricotta, and halloumi under this brand
- Has authentic taste and flavour
- Creamy texture
- May not be available in local stores
Why We Picked the Acres Wild Gouda Cheese?
Acres Wild makes artisan cheese that’s truly delectable and carries a vibrant and individual flavour that everyone enjoys. This Gouda is made with high-quality cow’s milk and undergoes a painstaking procedure to turn into a beautiful wheel of cheese.
Founded in 1974 by National Dairy Development Board, Mother Dairy is one of the largest dairy and processed foods brands in India. It makes products such as milk, paneer, cheese, ice creams, curd, etc., that are sold massively across North India. The brand has its headquarters in Noida and a stellar presence in the NCR region. It also retails condiments, frozen and fresh vegetables and fruits.
Prominent Features of the Mother Dairy Cheese Slices:
- It can be your go-to option to whip up quick sandwiches when running late for work in the morning
- Made with high-quality milk and is rich in protein and calcium
- The melty, creamy, gooey texture of the cheese is to die for and you’ll enjoy eating it every day
- The pack weighs 200 grams
- Good source of protein
- No added preservatives
- Easy to use
- Has no fragrance
Kraft Foods is a multinational confectionery company that was founded in 1923 by Thomas H. McInerney and Edward E. Rieck. The brand had an American origin and its headquarters were based in Northfield, US. It exported to around 170 countries and still has a loyal customer base that prefers its products over other brands.
Prominent Features of the Kraft Parmesan Cheese:
- It is delicious and super convenient for people who don’t like a lot of hassle while cooking
- The cheese is made with part-skim milk and milk protein concentrates that add a milky richness to it
- It comes grated in a box so all you need to do is sprinkle this already grated on top of your dishes and enjoy cheesy, delicious meals at home!
- Comes in a jar and weighs 227 grams
- Made with part-skim milk and milk concentrates
- Has no fillers
- Great taste
- You may need to use a lot to get the taste and flavor
Bombay Cheese Company
Bombay Cheese Company is a widely renowned plant-based cheese company in India. It was founded by animal rights activist Anuradha Sawhney who was also the CEO of PETA for around a decade. It’s owned by Back To The Basics which is a vegan restaurant based out of Pune.
Prominent Features of the Bombay Cheese Company Cheddar Block Cheese:
- It is made out of potato starch, rice bran oil, and salt that creates a flavour and texture which is almost similar to regular, dairy cheese that we eat always
- The company’s vision to promote veganism has been appreciated by a lot of customers and even non-vegans enjoy the taste of this cheese
- It will act, smell, and melt like your regular cheddar cheese so you get the taste of dairy-based cheese without having to use dairy
- Palm oil-free
- The fragrance may not be appetising
Founded in 2015, Urban Platter is a popular gourmet brand that makes plant-based foods in India. It retails a wide range of foods such as staples, baking products, condiments, snacks, chocolates, and spices. The brand has garnered a lot of attention as it promotes plant-based diets which are healthy and super delicious! It has headquarters in Mumbai and a thriving online presence, so you can easily find its products on Amazon.
Prominent Features of the Urban Platter Vegan Cheddar Cheeze:
- This Cheese Powder will be your best friend and elevate basic recipes to a whole another level
- It’s tasty, convenient, and versatile enough to go with burgers, pizzas, pasta, noodles, and whatnot
- The cheese powder is free of gluten and dairy and is completely vegan so you get the best of taste and nutrition in one jar
- Weighs 100 grams
- May be a little too salty
D’lecta is an Indian consumer goods company that was launched in the year 2001 and has its head offices in Mumbai. The brand produces top-grade baked goods and dairy products that are highly popular in southern India. If you’re looking for a trusted cheese company from India, D’lecta can be your go-to option.
Prominent Features of the D’lecta Processed Cheese Cubes:
- Made from 100% cow milk and are a great source of protein for your body
- The cheese has been aged properly which gives it a nice texture and low melting point
- If you want to add some taste and flavor to your food, add these cheese cubes and enjoy the delicious delights
- Weighs 200 grams
- Rich in protein
- Controlled browning under heat
- Spreads evenly
- Very salty
Flanders is a popular cheese brand that was founded in 1982 by Sunil Bhu, who had an immense fascination with European cheese and brought it to India. The company is headquartered in New Delhi and has a great customer base around the globe. It produces various types of cheeses such as mozzarella, goat cheese, gouda, mascarpone, etc.
Prominent Features of the Flanders Mozzarella Cheese:
- Goes perfectly well with Pizzas
- It has a mild, delicate taste with hints of saltiness and a sour taste that is super subtle
- If you like sticky, gooey, and stringy cheese on your pizzas, go for this one!
- Weighs 250 grams
- Rich in protein
- Best for pizza
- May not be available in stores
Happy Cow is an Austrian cheese brand that was founded in 1889 by Johann Baptist Woerle. The brand is a widely known producer of Emmentaler cheese and has a solid clientele in Europe. It exports to over 70 countries around the world and has managed to make a mark with its great quality products.
Prominent Features of the Happy Cow Processed Cheese:
- It is made with cow milk and has 50% less fat than other variants in the market
- It’s a spreadable cheese and has a creamy consistency that makes your dishes super tasty instantly
- The cheese is highly rich in protein, calcium, and vitamins that are essential for your health
- Weighs 120 grams
- 100% vegetarian
- Creamy taste
- May feel a little costly
Anchor is a cheese and butter brand that was founded in 1868 by Henry Reynolds. It is based in New Zealand and is known worldwide for its quality and taste that you will never forget. It became a part of Fonterra Capital in the year 2001 and exports to over 70 countries today.
Prominent Features of the Anchor Cream Cheese:
- Made with 100% pure pasteurised whole milk
- The smooth and creamy texture will not break while baking and has the traditional flavour of milky cheese
- This is perfect for making cheesecakes, both baked and unbaked
- Weighs 1000 grams
- No added sugar
- No artificial colour
- Excellent bake stability
Cheese comes in many forms, flavours, and textures, so you have a wide range of options to choose from. Out of the list, our favourite cheese has to be ones from Amul and Mother Dairy. Other names on this list of the best cheese brands would also satiate your cravings!
What are the best-selling cheese manufacturers in India?
Amul, Govardhan, and Britannia are some of the best cheese manufacturers in India.
Which cheese is good for pizzas?
Mozzarella and cheddar cheese are highly suitable to top off your pizzas.
Why Should You Trust Cashkaro Reviews?
CashKaro has category-specific researchers who are experts in their fields. We have tried and tested different cheese options on the basis of taste, texture, and ageing methods to offer you the best cheese available in the market today. We also ensure to double-check customer reviews online so that you only find reliable products on our lists.