Table of Contents
This question has crossed the mind of anyone who has ever seen flakes fall on their shoulders. Or those who have had the urge to scratch their head in the most formal of situations. For all these people with itchy, flaky, annoying dandruff, we are going to answer this question today. From home remedies to tricks, here is how you get rid of dandruff.
Before we begin with the ways to get rid of it, let’s have a look at what causes dandruff.
Check Out: Dandruff Causes
Why Does Dandruff Occur?
Dandruff is fundamentally a fungal disease but the exact causes can be different. A few known causes of dandruff include:
- Unclean scalp due to infrequent washes
- Increased oil production in the scalp
- Increase in skin yeasts
- Extreme weather (hot and humid or cold and dry)
- Excessive mental stress
- Immunity hampering diseases like Parkinson’s
You can get rid off dandruff by using medicated or commercial anti-dandruff shampoos that are easily available online and offline for instance Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo is a highly recommended shampoo product that controls stubborn dandruff. If you would like to use natural tricks to get rid of it, here are some proven home remedies.
Also See: Head and Shoulders Shampoo
Home Remedies For Dandruff
Fenugreek seeds contain essential vitamins and minerals that fight dandruff and clean the scalp off excess oil.
How To Use
- Soak fenugreek (methi) seeds overnight.
- Grind seeds next morning to make a fine paste
- Apply paste to your scalp
- Rinse after 15 minutes and shampoo
- Use the fenugreek water as an after wash tonic
Egg yolks contain natural biotin which is an essential vitamin used in hair restoration shampoos and masks. Eggs not only condition hair but also remove dandruff.
How To Use
- Mix 3 egg yolks in a bowl
- Apply to dry scalp
- Keep for about an hour
- Wash hair thoroughly to remove egg and egg smell
Also Read: Herbal Shampoos For Scalp
Baking soda is known to reduce the occurrence of the fungi that causes dandruff. It also exfoliates the scalp to remove dead skin. This reduces flaking and stimulates follicles. It also removes excess oil from the scalp
How To Use
- Massage some baking soda on to dry scalp
- Leave on for one minute and wash with your regular shampoo
- Alternatively, add baking soda to your shampoo and use it as usual for similar results
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the best-known remedies for dandruff. It has excellent anti-inflammatory properties which soothe an itchy scalp. It is also antiseptic in nature and combats any scalp infections.
How To Use
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo and mix
- Use this shampoo to wash your hair
- Keep the shampoo on for 5 minutes before rinsing
Aspirin contains salicylate which effectively removes dandruff. They also exfoliate the scalp to remove impurities and dirt.
How To Use
- Crush 2 aspirin tablets and add it to a bowl
- Add your regular shampoo to the bowl and mix
- Use this mixture to wash your hair
- Leave the shampoo on for 2 minutes before rinsing
Yogurt and Lemon Pack
Yogurt is an excellent probiotic which can combat bad bacteria on your scalp. Lemon, with its citric acid, removes dandruff from the roots.
How To Use
- Add lemon to curd and mix well
- Use a cotton swab or the lemon peel to work the mix into your roots
- Wash with your regular shampoo
These natural home remedies for dandruff can be used once or twice a week depending on the severity of your dandruff.
Now that you know what to do to permanently get rid of dandruff. But, if you have a party coming up and need to remove dandruff quickly, here are some cool tips to try.
How To Get Rid Of Dandruff Fast – Tips & Tricks
1. Dry Shampoo
Apple dry shampoo where you can see dandruff. Use a fine tooth comb to gently comb out dandruff form these areas. Then, apply a touch of coconut or olive oil to end with a hydrated look.
2. Baby Powder
Baby powder can work in the exact same way as dry shampoo. Just use a few puffs and comb out dandruff.
Mix one part of your mouthwash with two parts water. Now, rinse your scalp with the mix and shampoo as usual. Only use this trick in case of emergencies as the alcohol in mouthwash dries your locks.
Again, this is only for emergencies. Loosen the dandruff flakes with a comb. Then, use your blowdryer on the high setting to remove visible flakes.
While you are working out a new dandruff regimen, here are some do’s and don’t’s that you should follow.
Do’s & Don’t Of Dealing With Dandruff
- Go out in the sun as Vitamin D is great for your hair health
- Cut down on chemical based products as they cause dandruff
- Use home remedies religiously every week
- Moisturize your hair with oil or masks to keep scaling and itching at bay
- Brush regularly to spread healthy, natural oils across the scalp and strands
- Visit a dermatologist if nothing works for your dandruff
- Take a healthy diet rich in proteins, legumes, yogurt and green leafy vegetables
- Ensure to look for the good and bad ingredients in your shampoo bottle and know how to choose the right dandruff shampoo to combat the problem.
- Use shampoos that contain sulphates. Here is a list of best sulphate free shampoos you should switch to before it’s too late.
- Shampoo too often as this will dry out the scalp causing it to produce more oil.
- Wear dark color clothing if you are still battling dandruff as it will show all over your shoulders and back
- Go in for chemical based hair treatments like rebonding and coloring as these are harsh and can irritate and cause inflammation.
With these tricks and remedies in mind, we are sure you will be able to battle it out against dandruff with a cool head that is held confidently high.
Also, check out our top picks for best anti-dandruff shampoos for a flake-free and smooth scalp in no time.
8 Important Questions About Home Remedies to treat Dandruff Answered
How can I remove dandruff permanently?
One can remove dandruff permanently only by following a healthy lifestyle along with using safe and dermatologically tested or natural products on your hair. While taking a healthy diet is one of the major reasons to get rid of dandruff, factors like taking excessive stress and improper shampooing are also responsible for development of dandruff and other hair problems.
How can I stop dandruff and hair fall naturally?
Apart from the above-mentioned home remedies to treat dandruff and reduce hair fall problems naturally, you can also use green tea rinse, neem pastes and other natural hair masks.
What are the best shampoos for dandruff?
Some of the best shampoos that can help treat dandruff are:
- Dove Dermacare Scalp Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Neutrogena T/Sal Shampoo Scalp Build-Up Control
- Head & Shoulders 2-in-1 Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
What are the natural ways to cure dandruff?
To know about the natural ways to cure dandruff, check out the blog above.
What is the best natural way to remove dandruff in one wash?
The best way to remove dandruff in one wash is by using vinegar on your hair. Effective in killing the fungus and bacteria that cover up the scalp and cause dandruff problems, Vinegar rinse is easy to make and use.
- Take 2 cups of vinegar and boil it.
- Once boiled cool it down to room temperature and add 1/8th of this boiled vinegar to one cup of water.
- Massage your scalp with this mixture and shampoo your hair after applying this mixture.
Use this mixture in the morning before you wash your hair and watch it work wonders.
What causes dandruff? How can it be treated?
Dandruff is essentially the dead skin of our scalp but can also be caused by a yeast like fungus or excessive stress levels in our body. It can be treated in a number of ways like shampooing and using home remedies. To check out the natural ways to treat dandruff refer to the blog above.
How often should you wash your hair if you have dandruff?
Ideally, one should wash the hair thrice a week with a natural shampoo, if you have dandruff problem.
Is dandruff a symptom of a disease?
Yes, excessive dandruff can be a symptom of Seborrheic dermatitis, a skin condition that can cause white patches and red skin, mainly on the scalp.