Dandruff is a condition that affects everyone. In most cases, it results from the flaking of scalp triggered due to dryness or sometimes, when the pH level of the scalp is out of sync, it attracts a host of skin disorders which leads to dandruff. Knowing what type of dandruff you are dealing with is important so as to cure with the best anti-dandruff shampoo.
What is Dandruff? – Types of Dandruff
1. Dry Scalp: When your hair lacks moisture, it starts getting dry and flaky. This is one reason why most of us experience dandruff in winters as the natural oils from our hair is stripped off. Indulging in a hot water head shower worsens the situation.
2. Oily Scalp: When our scalp produces too much oil or sebum and is not cleaned regularly and properly, it combines with dead skin cells and thus produces dandruff.
3. Disorders: Dandruff is attributed to improper or irregular diets. Even some skin disorders like psoriasis, Malassezia, eczema can also trigger dandruff. Allergies to certain foods or drugs can also lead to this. In case if you have seborrheic dermatitis, it is an acute form of fungal infection that causes a lot of dandruff.
Know What Causes Dandruff
- Indulging in a hot water shower strips off natural oils from our hair resulting in itchy scalp that is flaky and dry
- Use of mild shampoos does not thoroughly clean our scalp thus leading to dandruff.
- Using Hair styling products like hair gels, waxes, mousses or hairsprays
- Sharing combs and hair brushes
- Under-washing or over-washing not only cause dandruff but also is a major cause of hair fall
Consider This When Buying The Best Dandruff Shampoo
- The most important job of an anti-dandruff shampoo is to wash, thoroughly cleanse and break any product build up in your hair. Hence, it’s important to have a product that lathers well and rinses off well.
- There are enough anti-dandruff shampoos available in the market for all hair types. Make sure to choose the right shampoo for your hair type. Anti-dandruff shampoos meant for dry hair will leave your hair moisturized. For oily hair and scalp, the shampoo will strip off the oils from your hair and scalp.
- Choose the right active ingredients available in your shampoo such as Ketoconazole, ZPTO etc. that helps fight dandruff. Hence, you need to read the labels carefully to check the ingredients. We have included the list of active ingredients later in this blog to educate you further.
- The special formulation of anti-dandruff shampoo is to re-balance the scalp’s pH balance as well as that might be causing dandruff. Like, dry scalp needs moisture so moisturizing agents should be there in the shampoo. Also, an oily scalp that has extra sebum causing dandruff needs lather and cleansing ingredients.
Active Ingredients To Look For While Choosing the Best Dandruff Shampoo
Choosing the right anti-dandruff shampoo depends on a variety of factors which should determine your buying decision. It also means looking at each shampoo’s list of ingredients. We’re listing down some active ingredients that ensure to keep dandruff at bay
1. Zinc Pyrithione: This is another anti-fungal, antibacterial and an anti-inflammatory agent that prevents Malassezia fungus to reproduce. It helps reduce yeast production in the scalp. Zinc pyrithione is not as hazardous as selenium sulfide as per the experts. It can help improve overall texture and health of your strands. Moreover, this ingredient takes off all dead cells off the scalp thus allowing hair growth and have the ability to reduce hair fall. If dandruff is causing your hair to fall, we recommend you buy the best shampoo for hair fall to obtain the best results.
2. Selenium Sulphide: This ingredient helps fight fungus. It also suppresses the production of natural oils in the scalp glands. It is a soothing agent. However, it is recommended that you not use products having this ingredient if you have chemically treated your hair
3. Ketoconazole: It is considered the most effective and powerful anti-fungal ingredient. It reduces the shedding of skin cells and is used in severe cases when other products have proved unsuccessful. It binds to the natural protein of your hair and helps eliminate excess levels of fungus that naturally breed on the scalp. It keeps fighting it long after you have rinsed off the shampoo.
4. Coal Tar: It does not slow down the appearance of dandruff. However, it’s particularly helpful if you have an oily scalp. It is a natural anti-fungal agent but should not be used on treated or colored hair.
5. Salicylic Acid: It acts as a scrubbing agent to exfoliate and thus helps in eliminating flakes. It may cause dryness to the scalp. Hence, it will be better to choose a shampoo which uses salicylic acid in combination with a moisturizing conditioner.
6. Natural ingredients like Apple Cider Vinegar, Apple juice, Essential oils- Jojoba oil, coconut oil, rosemary oil, neem, lemon extracts and more. Most of these ingredients help turn a harsh shampoo into one mild one. Know what mild shampoo means and how it makes your hair healthy and voluminous.
7. Tea Tree Oil: This antiseptic, antibiotic and antifungal ingredient helps in cleansing your scalp.
8. Green Tea extracts: Experts say that green tea has the potential for treating dandruff and psoriasis.
- It is recommended to use shampoos that contain coal tar and salicylic acid as these tend to be more useful. However, make sure that you do not use these types of shampoos on a regular basis. Both salicylic acid and coal tar can cause irritation on the scalp which leads to acute hair fall.
- Also, having these three important ingredients i.e. salicylic acid (exfoliates), pyrithione zinc(anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory agent) and selenium sulfide(soothes) will help eliminate dandruff and provide the most efficient outcomes. Using just one of the ingredients will allow the fungus to become immune and adapt thus having temporary outcomes.