When you have an oily scalp, things can get a little tricky and somewhat sticky. You can shampoo every single day and still feel like it’s been weeks since a hair wash. It can seem like the grease never leaves, and hair looks weighed down underneath. If this is a problem you constantly face, your oily scalp requires a new shampoo.
Shampoos for oily scalps are clarifying, volumising, and balancing. They clear scalp build-up to let scalp pores breathe, add a bounce to dull-looking hair and balance the scalp’s oil production. Looking for the best shampoo for an oily scalp? Here are the best options to choose from.
Our Top Recommendations
How Do We Choose the Best Shampoos for Oily Scalp for You?
Having an oily scalp can feel like a burden, but it doesn’t have to be so. In India, good quality shampoo for oily scalp costs anywhere between Rs 250 to Rs 1,620. Before you jump into our recommendations of the best shampoos for oily scalps available in India, we suggest you go through the factors that helped us decide on the best products for you.
When purchasing shampoo, the first thing you should consider is the materials and components it is comprised of. Check to see whether the shampoo is free of potentially harmful substances like sulfates and parabens. Also, make sure that the shampoo is mild enough for regular use, as an oily scalp might need to be washed more frequently. Look for shampoos that say “balancing” rather than “moisturising”. A few ingredients like salicylic acid, clay, apple cider vinegar, and tea tree are good options to consider when picking a shampoo.
Shampoo pH level
The mixture of sweat and oil or sebum causes the acid mantle, a thin layer that develops on your scalp. The pH of this mantle ranges from 4.5 to 5.5. The acidic nature of hair also prevents fungus and bacteria from growing on the scalp and in the hair. Additionally, this pH maintains the cuticle’s health and integrity. Choose shampoos whose pH is similar to that of your scalp to prevent damaging your hair or scalp.
It is a smart idea to research your shampoo prices as well. We recommend you avoid shampoos with chemicals that often strip your hair of its natural oils. The more costly ones could provide more unique treatments for certain hair problems, such as an oily scalp.
List of 12 Best Shampoos for Oily Scalp in India
Biotique Bio Green Apple Fresh Purifying Shampoo
The Biotique Bio Green Apple Fresh Purifying Shampoo helps eliminate excess oils from the scalp without endangering the health of your hair. This makes it ideal for those with highly oily scalps. The shampoo nourishes your hair while cleaning it thanks to the use of marine algae, centella, and pure green apple extract in its formulation.
Prominent Features of the Biotique Bio Green Apple Fresh Purifying Shampoo:
- Cleans and nourishes the hair and scalp
- Provides hair with renewed energy, natural glow, and gloss
- Apples work wonders as skin and hair purifiers, rejuvenators, and defenders
- Leaves hair silky smooth
- Does not require follow-up with conditioner
- Removes excess oil from the scalp
- Scalp and hair feel fresh
- Pleasant fragrance
- Does not work on extremely oily hair
Why We Picked the Biotique Bio Green Apple Fresh Purifying Shampoo?
The Biotique Bio Green Apple shampoo is one of our top picks for people with oily scalps. The natural minerals and proteins in centella, sea algae and pure green apple extract are combined in this revitalising solution to cleanse the scalp and hair. Additionally, this shampoo conditions hair, lessens dandruff, stops itching on the scalp and encourages hair development.
L’Oreal Paris Extraordinary Clay Shampoo
The L’Oreal Paris Extraordinary Clay Shampoo contains Kaolin clay which absorbs excess oil from roots and pores while hydrating hair to make it smooth, shiny and clean. It does not strip the scalp but gently cleanses it to restore the pH balance.
Prominent Features of the L’Oreal Paris Extraordinary Clay Shampoo:
- Infused with the incredible strength of pure clay, which detangles your hair
- Moisturises dry lengths and cleans up greasy roots, allowing free-flowing hair that stays fresh for up to 72 hours
- The ultra-purifying process helps to remove pollutants and pollution-related particles as well as extra oil from the scalp and roots
- Removes excess oil from the scalp
- Cleanses scalp and hair thoroughly
- Does not make hair dry
- Leaves hair manageable and soft
- Does not cause hair fall
- Contains SLS
- Not suitable for very dry hair
Why We Picked the L’Oreal Paris Extraordinary Clay Shampoo?
The remarkable power of pure clay has been added by L’Oréal Paris labs to a shampoo to combat oily scalp. The shampoo makes your hair look healthy, new, free-flowing, and soft. The ultra-purifying process helps remove pollutants and pollution-related particles as well as extra oil from the scalp and roots.
Keya Seth Aromatherapy Oil Balance Shampoo
The Keya Seth Aromatherapy Oil Balance Shampoo preserves the natural pH balance of your oily scalp, providing hair vitality and bounce. Additionally, it improves the general condition of the hair and controls oil production.
Prominent Features of the Keya Seth Aromatherapy Oil Balance Shampoo:
- With Keya Seth Aromatherapy Oil Balance Shampoo, give your hair fresh life and vigour
- Regulates oil production, maintains the scalp’s natural pH, and enhances the health of the hair
- This mild mixture, which is enriched with genuine essential oils and botanicals, leaves hair lustrous, bouncy, and vibrant
- Removes dandruff
- Made from natural ingredients
- Stimulates hair follicles and softens hair
- It may cause hair to become dry
- This may lead to frizzy hair
Why We Picked the Keya Seth Aromatherapy Oil Balance Shampoo?
The presence of lemon essential oil in the Keya Seth Aromatherapy Oil Balance Shampoo maintains a healthy scalp and reduces excessive oil production. Additionally, it works as a mild anti-dandruff shampoo that removes flakes and dandruff without damaging the hair or scalp.
Moreover, for those who are looking for organic shampoo, then you might not want to miss our latest blog, where we have listed some of the top organic shampoo brands in India. Do have a look.
Khadi Natural Honey & Lemon Hair Cleanser
The ayurvedic formulation of Khadi Natural Honey & Lemon Hair Cleanser consists of honey and lemon. Both of them actively remove excess oil from the hair. The scalp is left leaving refreshed, and the hair looks voluminous.
Prominent Features of the Khadi Natural Honey & Lemon Hair Cleanser:
- The Khadi Natural Honey & Lemon Hair Cleanser maintains natural hair colour while removing dandruff and hair issues
- Prevents dandruff and gives the hair a thorough cleaning
- Eliminates extra oil from hair, making it ideal for those with oily scalps
- Controls scalp oil production
- Lifts up weighed-down hair
- Adds lustre to hair
- Cleanses hair and scalp thoroughly
- Not suitable for dry hair
Why We Picked the Khadi Natural Honey & Lemon Hair Cleanser?
Ayurvedic components in the Khadi Natural Honey & Lemon Hair Cleanser help combat oiliness. The shampoo thoroughly cleans your scalp and leaves your hair feeling light. The cleanser is made with honey, lemon juice, shikakai, and amla.
WOW Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo
The WOW Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo is a good option for fully detoxing and regulating pH levels when it comes to your scalp and strands to assist in maintaining both healthy. The shampoo works well as an astringent to reduce excess oil.
Prominent Features of the WOW Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo:
- Apple cider vinegar promotes healthy hair development, lessens hair loss, and increases moisture retention in the hair
- By balancing the pH of the hair and scalp, apple cider vinegar promotes greater blood flow to the hair follicles
- Helps control flakes and dandruff for a lighter, cleaner, and itch-free sensation
- Removes excess oil from hair
- Rich in vitamin E and vital lipids
- Free from sulfates and parabens
- Packaging quality may not be very good
Why We Picked the WOW Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo?
The WOW Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo is devoid of hazardous sulphates and parabens. By removing the build-up brought on by dust, pollution, dead skin cells, and styling chemicals, this product gently detoxifies the hair and scalp.
Aroma Magic Oil Balancing Shampoo
Without removing the natural oils from your scalp, the Aroma Magic Oil Balancing Shampoo can nurture it while still managing the oiliness of your hair. Aloe vera and Reetha plant juice thoroughly cleanse and conditions hair from the roots to the tips.
Prominent Features of the Aroma Magic Oil Balancing Shampoo:
- Presence of Aloe vera and Reetha plant juice thoroughly cleanses and conditions hair from the roots to the tips
- Green tea and Tea Tree oil help unclog hair follicles and keep the scalp’s pH levels balanced
- The Aroma Magic Oil Balancing Shampoo encourages hair development and allows it to flow freely
- Nourishes the scalp and preserves natural oils
- Revitalises growth and fixes damaged hair
- Removes blockages from hair follicles and maintains PH
- Free from parabens, petrochemicals, phthalates, sulphates, and hazardous substances
- Packaging quality can be improved
- It may not lather very well
The Man Company Charcoal Shampoo
The Man Company Charcoal Shampoo is a potent blend of peppermint, clove, and essential oils on an activated charcoal base that treats your hair in a number of ways. It will assist you in getting rid of dandruff on your scalp. Activated charcoal is a master product, and it helps in removing excess oil from the scalp.
Prominent Features of The Man Company Charcoal Shampoo:
- Clove oil is added to the shampoo to increase its beneficial properties by slowing down the pace at which hair falls
- The use of activated charcoal is proven to dramatically increase the volume of hair that is lifeless and dull
- Additionally, charcoal effectively removes excess oil from the scalp and hair follicles
- Enhances hair texture
- Gets rid of dandruff and excess oil from scalp
- Encourages healthy hair growth
OGX Clarify & Shine Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo
This OGX shampoo for enhanced shine aids in removing build-up and residue of excess oil from your hair. A balancing mixture with apple cider vinegar helps to eliminate surplus oil, balance the scalp, and leave hair very clean and shiny.
Prominent Features of the OGX Clarify & Shine Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo:
- Clarifying shampoo that eliminates build-up and traces of residue
- Eliminates extra oil, leaving hair clean, hydrated, and very shining
- Sulfate-free shampoo created with an energising combination of apple cider vinegar
- Removes excess oil from hair
- Free from sulfates
- Fresh and fruity scent
Himalaya Herbals Gentle Daily Care Protein Shampoo
The Himalaya Gentle Daily Care Protein Herbals Shampoo is a mild shampoo that contains chickpea, amla, black myrobalan and licorice extracts. These strengthen hair and clarify the scalp of excess oil. Regular application of its natural foaming ingredients results in silky hair and a clean scalp.
Prominent Features of the Himalaya Herbals Gentle Daily Care Protein Shampoo:
- The mild shampoo is designed primarily for everyday use that protects, softens, nourishes, and naturally cleanses oily hair
- Encourages healthy, naturally growing hair and supports keeping a scalp free of fungal infections and hair loss
- Himalaya Gentle Daily Care Protein Shampoo is good for gently cleansing heavy or greasy hair because it is enriched with herbal components
- Removes excess oil from the scalp while nourishing it
- Balances oil production by cleansing the scalp gently
- Gentle in hair and can be used daily
- Makes hair bouncy and soft
- It might not suit very dry hair
The EnQ Organic Aloe Vera Shampoo
Pure organic extracts of the aloe vera plant are used to create The EnQ Organic Aloe Vera Shampoo. It is a special formulation that is paraben-free and devoid of any synthetic colours or silicons and gives your hair the clean nutrients it needs. The shampoo protects the moisture of your hair and removes excess oil.
Prominent Features of The EnQ Organic Aloe Vera Shampoo:
- Creates a layer of defence over your hair to shield it from the elements and maintain its constant moisture level
- Due to its strong anti-pruritic qualities, the shampoo may help treat itching and irritation of the scalp
- Specifically designed to leave hair with a clean, fresh scent
- Rich in organic, natural components
- Helps with hair loss
- Removes excess oil
- May not lather well
Mamaearth Tea Tree Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
The MamaEarth Tea Tree Shampoo, which is made with ginger oil and natural components, is one of the best shampoos for oily scalp. This oil control shampoo’s natural components make sure that dandruff and extra oil are gently worked on and removed from your hair and scalp.
Prominent Features of the Mamaearth Tea Tree Anti-Dandruff Shampoo:
- The shampoo’s natural components make sure that dandruff and extra oil are treated and removed with care
- Ginger oil helps to maintain the health and cleanliness of the scalp while decreasing dryness and itching
- Tea tree oil’s anti-fungal and anti-bacterial characteristics aid in reducing itch and irritation
- Decreases dandruff and regulates oil
- Makes the scalp less itchy
- Free from parabens and silicon
GK HAIR Balancing Shampoo for Oily Scalp
With little irritation, the GK Hair Balancing Shampoo thoroughly cleans the scalp and gets rid of excess oil. The shampoo maintains smooth, glossy, fluffy, and healthy hair.
Prominent Features of the GK HAIR Balancing Shampoo For Oily Scalp:
- Restores the pH of the scalp while providing natural moisture
- Replenishes the natural oil in the hair and gives it bright lustre and vigour
- Cleans, moisturises, and conditions the hair to keep it smooth and silky
- Detangles hair
- Removes excess oil from hair
- Provides glow to hair
Here’s a word of caution for people with an oily scalp. It is completely normal to have greasy scalps with dry hair. In this case, you have to choose a shampoo for an oily scalp instead of one for oily hair. An oily hair shampoo might strip your scalp of its natural oils, causing it to produce more oil. This will just add more greasiness to your head.
Secondly, if you have dry ends but an oily scalp, stay far away from moisturising, smoothening, and hydrating shampoos. These will just make your scalp oilier. Choose to clarify or balancing shampoos as these restore the pH level of your scalp, controlling oil production.
The shampoos mentioned here are all meant for oily scalps. Based on our research, the Biotique Bio Green Apple Fresh Purifying Shampoo, L’Oreal Paris Extraordinary Clay Shampoo, and Keya Seth Aromatherapy Oil Balance Shampoo are our top picks for the best shampoos in India for oily scalp. While making our recommendations, we also took into consideration factors like ingredients, shampoo pH level, and prices. Pick out one of them and say goodbye to your oily head problem for good.
Check Out: What is Dry Shampoo?
Which product is best for an oily scalp?
According to us, the Biotique Bio Green Apple Fresh Purifying Shampoo, L’Oreal Paris Extraordinary Clay Shampoo, and Keya Seth Aromatherapy Oil Balance Shampoo are the best products for oily scalp in India. However, we recommend that you go through our entire list and choose one that is best suited to your requirements.
Why is my scalp oily even after shampooing?
Your scalp may become oily even after shampooing. This is due to the fact that straight or thin hair makes it easier for the scalp’s sebum to coat the whole strand. Oil, skin cells, and perspiration may accumulate in hair if individuals use oily or waxy hair products. This might make your hair seem oily even after washing.
What causes an oily scalp?
Sebaceous glands that are hyperactive may lead to an oily scalp. The sebaceous glands are located underneath the small pores on your scalp. They generate sebum, which is a kind of natural oil. Sebum is necessary to keep the scalp and hair healthy.
Why is my hair greasy after one day?
People with thin or fine hair could notice that after only one day, their hair may already appear greasy. It all has to do with how much oil your scalp secretes and how efficiently your hair can transport that oil.
Does oily scalp cause hair loss?
Yes, an oily scalp may indirectly lead to hair loss. However, it is often not the only factor. Extra oil may trap and collect debris, dandruff, and product build-up. This may lead to clogged pores and prevent the development of new hair.
Why Trust CashKaro Reviews?
Highly experienced and competent researchers at CashKaro work hard to provide you with the finest market suggestions available online. To create a list of products you can trust, we evaluate various products and compare them based on a variety of factors. We considered ingredients, shampoo pH level, prices, and other aspects while making our recommendations for the best shampoos for oily scalp available in India. We really hope that this list will assist you in reaching an educated conclusion.